Announcement

Collapse

Civics 101 Guidelines

Want to argue about politics? Healthcare reform? Taxes? Governments? You've come to the right place!

Try to keep it civil though. The rules still apply here.
See more
See less

And can you still support him?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• And can you still support him?

Consider these two events:

1) Trump asserts that he would have never allowed the CIA to recruit Kim Jong Un's brother (despite later attempts to claim that is not what he 'meant')

2) Trump explicitly and without apology asserts that he will take dirt on a political opponent from any foreign power or foreign adversary that provides it:

Source: https://www.cnn.com/2019/06/13/politics/donald-trump-spy-election-2020-foreign-government/index.html

This was the President of the United States -- the man charged with protecting the Constitution, American democracy and the Western world -- sitting at the Resolute desk in the Oval Office, saying he would accept damaging information from Russia and China on his 2020 opponent.

© Copyright Original Source

So I wait. Can you continue to support a president that is so completely willing to publicly and without apology undermine our intelligence community and our democratic process?

Jim
    My brethren, do not hold your faith in our glorious Lord Jesus Christ with an attitude of personal favoritism. James 2:1

If anyone thinks himself to be religious, and yet does not  bridle his tongue but deceives his own heart, this man’s religion is worthless James 1:26

This you know, my beloved brethren. But everyone must be quick to hear, slow to speak and slow to anger; James 1:19

Biden promised to cure cancer.
    That's what
    - She

Without a clear-cut definition of sin, morality becomes a mere argument over the best way to train animals
    - Manya the Holy Szin (The Quintara Marathon)

I may not be as old as dirt, but me and dirt are starting to have an awful lot in common
    - Stephen R. Donaldson

Comment

Originally posted by oxmixmudd View Post

1) Trump asserts that he would have never allowed the CIA to recruit Kim Jong Un's brother (despite later attempts to claim that is not what he 'meant')

2) Trump explicitly and without apology asserts that he will take dirt on a political opponent from any foreign power or foreign adversary that provides it:

Source: https://www.cnn.com/2019/06/13/politics/donald-trump-spy-election-2020-foreign-government/index.html

This was the President of the United States -- the man charged with protecting the Constitution, American democracy and the Western world -- sitting at the Resolute desk in the Oval Office, saying he would accept damaging information from Russia and China on his 2020 opponent.

So I wait. Can you continue to support a president that is so completely willing to publicly and without apology undermine our intelligence community and our democratic process?

Jim

You're way too invested in the whole 'Trump is eeevil' thing to have a sensible conversation with about this. Sorry.
      ...>>> Witty remark or snarky quote of another poster goes here <<<...

Comment

Originally posted by Bill the Cat View Post
        Promising a cancer cure and risking the US security intelligence are two different things.
        A happy family is but an earlier heaven.
        George Bernard Shaw

Comment

Jim
          Jim you mean like the Clinton campaign using Russian sources for the infamous dossier?
          Atheism is the cult of death, the death of hope. The universe is doomed, you are doomed, the only thing that remains is to await your execution...

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Jbnueb2OI4o&t=3s

Comment

Some may call me foolish, and some may call me odd
            But I'd rather be a fool in the eyes of man
            Than a fool in the eyes of God

From "Fools Gold" by Petra

Comment

Originally posted by Bill the Cat View Post
              last I heard he was not president ...
              My brethren, do not hold your faith in our glorious Lord Jesus Christ with an attitude of personal favoritism. James 2:1

If anyone thinks himself to be religious, and yet does not  bridle his tongue but deceives his own heart, this man’s religion is worthless James 1:26

This you know, my beloved brethren. But everyone must be quick to hear, slow to speak and slow to anger; James 1:19

Comment

Originally posted by MaxVel View Post
                You're way too invested in the whole 'Trump is eeevil' thing to have a sensible conversation with about this. Sorry.
                nice dodge ...

Comment

Originally posted by seer View Post
                  Jim you mean like the Clinton campaign using Russian sources for the infamous dossier?
                  Nope, not like that at all. First your characterization of the dossier is not accurate, but more importantly, this is an open request from a sitting president for foreign adversaries to affect a public election. That is unparalleled, it has no analogue in US history I know of, certainly not any previous candidate in my lifetime. the Dossier, at best, is a mere stepping stone on the journey to what the president just embraced openly, publicly.

But I see that so far the TWEB pro-trump actors are not yet even willing to even admit this is a bad thing - with the possible exception of MM whose post I've not looked at (yet?).

How far the Republicans on TWEB have fallen. 3 Years ago no person alive in public office could have done the two things listed without evoking the most intense rebuke and scrutiny from those who have posted thus far in this thread.

inch by inch, compromise by compromise, you are losing your principles over this man.

Jim
                  Last edited by oxmixmudd; 06-13-2019, 09:07 AM.

Comment

Nope, not like that at all. First your characterization of the dossier is not accurate, but more importantly, this is an open request from a sitting president for foreign adversaries to affect a public election. That is unparalleled, it has not analogue in US history I know of, certainly not any previous candidate in my lifetime.

But I see that so far the TWEB pro-trump actors are not willing to even admit this is a bad thing - with the possible exception of MM whose post I've not looked at (yet?).

How far the Republicans on TWEB have fallen. 3 Years ago no person alive in public office could have done the two things listed without evoking the most intense rebuke and scrutiny from those who have posted thus far in this thread.

inch by inch, compromise by compromise, you are losing your principles over this man.

Jim
                    Jim, this is nonsense. The only campaign that actually did use foreign sources against their opponent was the Clinton campaign, using a British national to do it. No mis-characterization here.
                    Atheism is the cult of death, the death of hope. The universe is doomed, you are doomed, the only thing that remains is to await your execution...

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Jbnueb2OI4o&t=3s

Comment

nice dodge ...
                      (1) He's not my President. I don't really have a dog in the fight. If Trump says or does something truly wrong, or stupid, it's no skin off my nose. If I see that he's being misquoted, misrepresented, or lied about, I don't feel tempted to think 'well, he deserves it, 'cause he's so bad. Maybe it is true'.

(2) I do lean Trump-ish, but I'm definitely way more objective than you. Imagine that Trump actually was misquoted or misrepresented in a particular story. How could you possibly be convinced of that? I can't see a way.

(3) The fact that anyone who disagrees with you that 'Trump is evil', even if only about one particular instance is prejudged as "...motivated and willing to overlook so much..." should tell you how unobjective you are. You've already positioned yourself so that no possible counter argument could convince you, because it could only come from someone who is willing to overlook how evil Trump really is. Ergo, no evidence could convince you otherwise.

What would be the point of trying to argue against you when all it would do is confirm your prejudice that anyone who defends Trump in anything at all is supporting evil and clearly biased and irrational?

Comment

Jim, this is nonsense. The only campaign that actually did use foreign sources against their opponent was the Clinton campaign, using a British national to do it. No mis-characterization here.
                        Hillary also conspired with the Ukrainian government to dig up dirt on Paul Manafort.

https://www.politico.com/story/2017/...ackfire-233446
                        Some may call me foolish, and some may call me odd
                        But I'd rather be a fool in the eyes of man
                        Than a fool in the eyes of God

From "Fools Gold" by Petra

Comment

And they paid for it. They paid for dirt to be dug up, to use against a political opponent. Just a little different from Trump saying that he'd have to look at it if someone came to him with something. Note that he is the President, and so has some responsibility to at least consider how it might affect the country.

Comment

Don't be stupid. Trump asked for and obtained help from the Russians during his 2016 campaign. Though those efforts - apparently - do not deserve the label 'conspiracy'. Now not only isn't he apologetic, he's upped the anti by asking for such help again and promising not to contact the FBI if they do contact him.

seer - this is way over the line. Are you so blind you can't see that. So deluded you are willing to excuse it by trying to say 'but look what clinton did ...'.

Do you realize you are defending a sitting president publicly asking for help from foreign powers for the 2020 election?

Is there nothing this man can do to compromise out government and electoral process that you will not defend?

Jim

Comment

Originally posted by MaxVel View Post
                              And they paid for it. They paid for dirt to be dug up, to use against a political opponent. Just a little different from Trump saying that he'd have to look at it if someone came to him with something. Note that he is the President, and so has some responsibility to at least consider how it might affect the country.
                              So let me get this right. In the face of a sitting president publicly asking for help from foreign governments to win an election you will defend him in that act, and then try to deflect to some other person doing something that was also wrong, but not as bad as what the president just did?

You talk about me losing it MaxVel. All I am is incensed by a man willing to use foreign help to win a US presidential election.

Really? Explain this to me: Why aren't YOU losing it too MaxVel?

Where do your loyalties lie?

Are you really willing to start letting foreign powers determine who we elect as president?

Jim

Comment