Announcement

Collapse

Archeology 201 Guidelines

If Indiana Jones happened to be a member of Tweb, this is where he'd hang out.

Welcome to the Archeology forum. Were you out doing some gardening and dug up a relic from the distant past? would you like to know more about Ancient Egypt? Did you think Memphis was actually a city in Tennessee?

Well, for the answers to those and other burning questions you've found the right digs.

Our forum rules apply here too, if you haven't read them now is the time.

Forum Rules: Here
See more
See less

Ancient Greek 'Masterpiece' Revealed on Thumb-Size Gem

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Ancient Greek 'Masterpiece' Revealed on Thumb-Size Gem

An article from National Geographic this month details the find of a 3500 piece of artwork of stunning quality and detail on a piece of agate the size of your thumb.

The problem that the stone has thrown to archaeologists is from the tomb of a warrior who died 3500 years ago, and the detail is "incomprehensibly small" with some details less than a millimeter long. This suggests that the carver had to have used magnifying glasses, but we don't have any record in this time period of them having knowledge of magnifying glasses.

Source: NatGeo

"They're incomprehensibly small," said University of Cincinnati professor Jack Davis in a press release.

In an interview, Davis further explained that works of art made with such detail wouldn't be seen for another 1,000 years.

"[Other works of art] bear as much resemblance as a Mickey Mouse cartoon to Michelangelo," he said.

© Copyright Original Source

https://news.nationalgeographic.com/...rior-tomb-spd/
    Be watchful, stand firm in the faith, act like men, be strong.
    1 Corinthians 16:13

"...he [Doherty] is no historian and he is not even conversant with the historical discussions of the very matters he wants to pontificate on."
    -Ben Witherington III

Cool!
    "He is no fool who gives what he cannot keep to gain that which he cannot lose." - Jim Elliot

"Forgiveness is the way of love." Gary Chapman

My Personal Blog

My Novella blog (Current Novella Begins on 7/25/14)

Quill Sword

Comment

Could have used a jar full of water which can significantly magnify things. Or perhaps the artist used a piece of naturally formed convex crystal.

I'm always still in trouble again

"You're by far the worst poster on TWeb" and "TWeb's biggest liar" --starlight (the guy who says Stalin was a right-winger)
      "Overall I would rate the withdrawal from Afghanistan as by far the best thing Biden's done" --Starlight
      "Of course, human life begins at fertilization that’s not the argument." --Tassman

Comment

Originally posted by rogue06 View Post
        Could have used a jar full of water which can significantly magnify things. Or perhaps the artist used a piece of naturally formed convex crystal.
        The jar of water would be a problem as I don't think they had many glass jars/plastic bottles1 3500 years ago.

The crystal is possible. I've seen some very very clear quartz crystals.

The thing is the level of detail means that once again we need to revise the "ancient humans were dumb, hur hur" narrative favored by a number of folk.

"...he [Doherty] is no historian and he is not even conversant with the historical discussions of the very matters he wants to pontificate on."
        -Ben Witherington III

Comment

obviously the answer is obvious.

350x.jpg

Comment

Originally posted by Sparko View Post
            obviously the answer is obvious.

[ATTACH=CONFIG]24994[/ATTACH]
            Either that or an oopart left behind by a time traveler.

Anyway, it's an impressive piece of artwork even if it wasn't on such a tiny piece of agate.

Comment

Originally posted by rogue06 View Post
              Transparent glass that well made?

Forget magnification - who the heck did they make tools precise enough and hard enough?
              "He is no fool who gives what he cannot keep to gain that which he cannot lose." - Jim Elliot

My Personal Blog

Quill Sword

Comment

Originally posted by Raphael View Post
                The jar of water would be a problem as I don't think they had many glass jars/plastic bottles1 3500 years ago.

The thing is the level of detail means that once again we need to revise the "ancient humans were dumb, hur hur" narrative favored by a number of folk.
                Forgot to add my superscript comment:

1.) here in NZ a few years ago there was a problem with a brand of bottled water, where the shape of the bottle meant that when full it made a very good lense and would end up melting holes in car seats when left in the sun.
                http://tvnz.co.nz/content/1072401/2483318.xhtml

-Ben Witherington III

Comment

Originally posted by Teallaura View Post
                  Transparent glass that well made?

Forget magnification - who the heck did they make tools precise enough and hard enough?
                  The Doctor!

Maybe they should zoom in on it and see if they can find a Police Box.

Comment

Originally posted by Raphael View Post

Nice discovery concerning ancient human skills, but not unique.

Maybe some layman 'folks' believe this unfortunate fallacy. This is not the view of scientists of the intellect of Neolithic and Bronze age humans. Numerous rather advanced items have been found world wide including an aerodynamically designed weapon made from elephant tusk that is capable of killing a large animal from a considerable distance. Analysis shows that the weapon requires considerable learned skill to use properly.

Ancient Chinese cultures before ~2000 BCE carved detailed jade works using very fine tools drills.laths and saws made for harder silicate stones.
                    Last edited by shunyadragon; 01-02-2018, 10:17 AM.
                    Glendower: I can call spirits from the vasty deep.
                    Hotspur: Why, so can I, or so can any man;
                    But will they come when you do call for them? Shakespeare’s Henry IV, Part 1, Act III:

go with the flow the river knows . . .

Frank

I do not know, therefore everything is in pencil.

Comment

Originally posted by shunyadragon View Post
                      Nice discovery concerning ancient human skills, but not unique.

Maybe some layman believe this unfortunate fallacy. This is not the view of scientists of the intellect of Neolithic and Bronze age humans. Numerous rather advanced items have been found world wide including an aerodynamically designed weapon made from elephant tusk that is capable of killing a large animal from a considerable distance. Analysis shows that the weapon requires considerable learned skill to use properly.

Ancient Chinese cultures before ~2000 BCE carved detailed jade works using drills.laths and saws made for harder silicate stones.
                      Read the thread, please. You didn't address either the actual issue - magnification - or my side issue - precision. I'm well aware that ancients had tools and could carve stone - but machining such fine tools is not something I've seen the evidence for.

My Personal Blog

Quill Sword

Comment

Read the thread, please. You didn't address either the actual issue - magnification - or my side issue - precision. I'm well aware that ancients had tools and could carve stone - but machining such fine tools is not something I've seen the evidence for.
                        I read the post and the issue of magnification is not a significant issue.

You may not have seen it, but it is common in ancient Chinese jade carvings. I have collected and studied Neolithic Jade carvings of China for many years and some of their works are as fine as the one you cite.
                        But will they come when you do call for them? Shakespeare’s Henry IV, Part 1, Act III:

Frank

Comment

Originally posted by shunyadragon View Post
                          I read the post and the issue of magnification is not a significant issue.

You may not have seen it, but it is common in ancient Chinese jade carvings. I have collected and studied Neolithic Jade carvings of China for many years and some of their works are as fine as the one you cite.
                          post a picture of such a comparison.

Comment

What do you propose as alternative to simply the creative artistic technology of human abilities?

Frank

Comment

Originally posted by Sparko View Post
                              post a picture of such a comparison.
                              Simply google ancient Chinese jade carvings for a selection of carving from over the millennia.

What do you propose for source of the carving if not natural creative artistic abilities of humans? Aliens?

Frank

Comment