Announcement

Collapse

Amphitheater Guidelines

In the Amphitheater we sit back and share a good song, offer a movie review, discuss sports, or anything in entertainment and family enjoyment.

If you need to refresh yourself on the decorum, now would be a good time.

Forum Rules: here
Steam Group: here

Thanks!
See more
See less

Is sports going digital?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Is sports going digital?

Manchester City signs second FIFA pro as 'dedicated PS4 player'

Sports teams the world over are adding gamers to their rosters, but it's particularly common in football. Manchester City FC signed its first eSports pro, Kieran "Kez" Brown, last summer, and today the club's announced Marcus "ExpectSporting" Jorgensen (aka Marcuzo) has become the second pad warrior to join the squad. Jorgensen previously competed for Danish football club Brøndby IF, with his biggest win to date being the FIFA Interactive Club World Cup held this past August.

https://www.engadget.com/2017/12/22/...-ps4-fifa-pro/

Major League Soccer gets its first eSports player
    New York City FC now has a representative for virtual tournaments.

A number of European soccer teams have their own eSports players, but what about American clubs? Don't worry, they're catching up. New York City FC has signed Major League Sports' first eSports player, Christopher Holly, to represent the outfit in FIFA tournaments. He's definitely not a newcomer to the game -- Holly has been playing some form of FIFA on PlayStation systems for the past 12 years, and plays well enough that he was the top-rated FIFA Ultimate Team player on the planet in December.
    https://www.engadget.com/2017/04/05/...sports-player/

The NBA’s big eSports push begins in May 2018
    NBA 2K League Managing Director Brendan Donohue shares details about how the first season is taking shape.

The line between eSports and traditional sports is blurring, and organizations like the National Basketball Association are looking to stay ahead of the curve. Seventeen teams from the NBA will be part of the upcoming 2K League, a competition it created in partnership with Take-Two Interactive, the developer of the popular NBA 2K series. And that league is going to have its first season next May, NBA 2K League Managing Director Brendan Donohue revealed to Engadget in a recent interview.

He also said that participating NBA teams will begin drafting their eSports players in mid-March 2018, with tryouts taking place a month before that.
    https://www.engadget.com/2017/09/26/...uts-interview/

It's been doing this for a while. It's not even limited to "sports" games. They were playing the Overwatch World Cup on Disney XD's On Demand channel. I wish I had the reflexes and reaction time of when I was younger, because I probably could have competed.

Comment

Competitive Tekken and other fighting games have been around for years.
      sigpic

Comment

Originally posted by Cerebrum123 View Post
        It's been doing this for a while. It's not even limited to "sports" games. They were playing the Overwatch World Cup on Disney XD's On Demand channel. I wish I had the reflexes and reaction time of when I was younger, because I probably could have competed.
        yeah I know there has been eSports leagues out there playing various game tournaments, but now we have the NBA and Pro-Football (soccer) signing up eplayers and starting eleagues?

I am waiting for the old geezer's eleague so I can whoop their butts in Pong!

Comment

Originally posted by Cerebrum123 View Post

There's also ELEAGUE on TBS where they broadcast a Rocket League Cup and a CS:GO Premier League. The next CS:GO Major (in Boston) will also be broadcast on TBS.

Comment

Anyone else have sudden flashbacks to Wall-E?
            "He is no fool who gives what he cannot keep to gain that which he cannot lose." - Jim Elliot

"Forgiveness is the way of love." Gary Chapman

My Personal Blog

My Novella blog (Current Novella Begins on 7/25/14)

Quill Sword

Comment