Announcement

Collapse

Christianity 201 Guidelines

orthodox Christians only.

Discussion on matters of general mainstream evangelical Christian theology that do not fit within Theology 201. Have some spiritual gifts ceased today? Is the KJV the only viable translation for the church today? In what sense are the books of the bible inspired and what are those books? Church government? Modern day prophets and apostles?

This forum is primarily for Christians to discuss matters of Christian doctrine, and is not the area for debate between atheists (or those opposing orthodox Christianity) and Christians. Inquiring atheists (or sincere seekers/doubters/unorthodox) seeking only Christian participation and having demonstrated a manner that does not seek to undermine the orthodox Christian faith of others are also welcome, but must seek Moderator permission first. When defining “Christian” or "orthodox" for purposes of this section, we mean persons holding to the core essentials of the historic Christian faith such as the Trinity, the Creatorship of God, the virgin birth, the bodily resurrection of Christ, the atonement, the future bodily return of Christ, the future bodily resurrection of the just and the unjust, and the final judgment. Persons not holding to these core doctrines are welcome to participate in the Comparative Religions section without restriction, in Theology 201 as regards to the nature of God and salvation with limited restrictions, and in Christology for issues surrounding the person of Christ and the Trinity. Atheists are welcome to discuss and debate these issues in the Apologetics 301 forum without such restrictions.

Additionally and rarely, there may be some topics or lines of discussion that within the Moderator's discretion fall so outside the bounds of mainstream orthodox doctrine (in general Christian circles or in the TheologyWeb community) or that deny certain core values that are the Christian convictions of forum leadership that may be more appropriately placed within Unorthodox Theology 201. NO personal offense should be taken by such discretionary decision for none is intended. While inerrancy is NOT considered a requirement for posting in this section, a general respect for the Bible text and a respect for the inerrantist position of others is requested.

The Tweb rules apply here like they do everywhere at Tweb, if you haven't read them, now would be a good time.

Forum Rules: Here
See more
See less

Donald Trump and Christianity

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Donald Trump and Christianity

Is Trump a Christian?

Here is an excerpt of an interview of Trump:

CT: Yes, I know that. You have said you never felt the need to ask for God’s forgiveness, and yet repentance for one’s sins is a precondition to salvation. I ask you the question Jesus asked of Peter: Who do you say He is?

DT: I will be asking for forgiveness, but hopefully I won’t have to be asking for much forgiveness. As you know, I am Presbyterian and Protestant. I’ve had great relationships and developed even greater relationships with ministers. We have tremendous support from the clergy. I think I will be doing very well during the election with evangelicals and with Christians. In the Middle East — and this is prior to the migration — you had almost no chance of coming into the United States. Christians from Syria, of which there were many, many of their heads … chopped off. If you were a Muslim from Syria, it was one of the easiest places to come in (to the U.S.). I thought that was deplorable. I’m going to treat my religion, which is Christian, with great respect and care.

CT: Who do you say Jesus is?

DT: Jesus to me is somebody I can think about for security and confidence. Somebody I can revere in terms of bravery and in terms of courage and, because I consider the Christian religion so important, somebody I can totally rely on in my own mind.

http://calthomas.com/node/985

No surprise.

Securely anchored to the Rock amid every storm of trial, testing or tribulation.

Comment

But he self identifies as ...

that's all it takes.
      1Cor 15:34 Come to your senses as you ought and stop sinning; for I say to your shame, there are some who know not God.
      ⊛⊛⊛⊛⊛⊛⊛⊛⊛⊛⊛⊛⊛⊛⊛⊛⊛⊛⊛⊛⊛⊛
      Scripture before Tradition:
      but that won't prevent others from
      taking it upon themselves to deprive you
      of the right to call yourself Christian.

⊛⊛⊛⊛⊛⊛⊛⊛⊛⊛⊛⊛⊛⊛⊛⊛⊛⊛⊛⊛⊛

Comment

He's as much a Christian as many others who actually attend church!

oh, wait.....
        The first to state his case seems right until another comes and cross-examines him.

Comment

One thing that bothers me more is how many people I know who are real Christians are cheering him along as he declares revenge against people he believes have slighted him. Not repaying evil for evil is a command from Jesus. (This probably makes having a successful political career almost impossible for a Christian.)
          "I am not angered that the Moral Majority boys campaign against abortion. I am angry when the same men who say, "Save OUR children" bellow "Build more and bigger bombers." That's right! Blast the children in other nations into eternity, or limbless misery as they lay crippled from "OUR" bombers! This does not jell." - Leonard Ravenhill

Comment

Originally posted by KingsGambit View Post
            One thing that bothers me more is how many people I know who are real Christians are cheering him along as he declares revenge against people he believes have slighted him. Not repaying evil for evil is a command from Jesus. (This probably makes having a successful political career almost impossible for a Christian.)
            Are they cheering him along because he declares revenge, or in spite of the fact?

I'm not shocked by the seeming lack of depth to Trump's conception of Christianity, given what I know of his life thus far. It's tough for me to cast stones at him, however, since I'm far from perfect myself (and my salvation's the only salvation I should be worrying about).
            Enter the Church and wash away your sins. For here there is a hospital and not a court of law. Do not be ashamed to enter the Church; be ashamed when you sin, but not when you repent. – St. John Chrysostom

Veritas vos Liberabit<>< Learn Greek <>< Look here for an Orthodox Church in America<><Ancient Faith Radio
            sigpic
            I recommend you do not try too hard and ...research as little as possible. Such weighty things give me a headache. - Shunyadragon, Baha'i apologist

Comment

Originally posted by One Bad Pig View Post
              ....(and my salvation's the only salvation I should be worrying about).
              I get what you're saying here, maybe, and, yeah, I'm probably picking nit, but as "fishers of men", we should be concerned about the salvation of everybody. I think the qualifying factor may be "is there anything I can do about it". I can pray for Trump, but I need to faithfully evangelize the lost.
              The first to state his case seems right until another comes and cross-examines him.

Comment

Are they cheering him along because he declares revenge, or in spite of the fact?

I'm not shocked by the seeming lack of depth to Trump's conception of Christianity, given what I know of his life thus far. It's tough for me to cast stones at him, however, since I'm far from perfect myself (and my salvation's the only salvation I should be worrying about).
                My impression is because. Ben Shapiro had a piece in National Review last week that echoed a similar concern; that his appeal was due to his punching/counterpunching and his vindictiveness was what his core base really wanted.

(None of this is to say that I require a candidate be a Christian; I think Mitt Romney would have made a fine President.)
                "I am not angered that the Moral Majority boys campaign against abortion. I am angry when the same men who say, "Save OUR children" bellow "Build more and bigger bombers." That's right! Blast the children in other nations into eternity, or limbless misery as they lay crippled from "OUR" bombers! This does not jell." - Leonard Ravenhill

Comment

I usually don't care politically if the President is Christian or not, most have been Christian in name only. I think That the two Bush's and Jimmy Carter were true Christians, but I have my doubts about Clinton and Obama. Reagan I think was a bit of an unorthodox Christian (Nancy and him consulted fortune tellers for instance)

It seems to me that Trump has no real idea what being a Christian is all about or who Jesus is. He is a CINA. Christian in Name Only. He thinks if he goes through the motions that makes him a Christian. Go to church, be good, respect the preachers.

If he were a true Christian his answer about forgiveness would have been completely different. And his answer to "who is Jesus" would have been too.

Comment

Originally posted by Cow Poke View Post
                    I get what you're saying here, maybe, and, yeah, I'm probably picking nit, but as "fishers of men", we should be concerned about the salvation of everybody. I think the qualifying factor may be "is there anything I can do about it". I can pray for Trump, but I need to faithfully evangelize the lost.
                    Well, yeah - though not everyone is equipped to be an evangelist. I do pray for Trump every day, just like I did for Obama.
                    Enter the Church and wash away your sins. For here there is a hospital and not a court of law. Do not be ashamed to enter the Church; be ashamed when you sin, but not when you repent. – St. John Chrysostom

Veritas vos Liberabit<>< Learn Greek <>< Look here for an Orthodox Church in America<><Ancient Faith Radio
                    sigpic
                    I recommend you do not try too hard and ...research as little as possible. Such weighty things give me a headache. - Shunyadragon, Baha'i apologist

Comment

Originally posted by KingsGambit View Post
                      My impression is because. Ben Shapiro had a piece in National Review last week that echoed a similar concern; that his appeal was due to his punching/counterpunching and his vindictiveness was what his core base really wanted.

(None of this is to say that I require a candidate be a Christian; I think Mitt Romney would have made a fine President.)
                      I would carefully consider the source before forming an impression based on it. Also, when I think of Trump's "core base", "evangelical Christians" are not what comes to mind.

sigpic

Comment

I would carefully consider the source before forming an impression based on it. Also, when I think of Trump's "core base", "evangelical Christians" are not what comes to mind.
                        I know his core base is not evangelical Christians, but I'm thinking more broadly of some conservative Christians in my online networks (not so much on here) who appear to be cheering his various actions on. Some of these people are active in the apologetics community; they ought to know better. Political life seems to make it easy to forget that "the ends justify the means" is hardly good morality.

Comment

Well, yeah - though not everyone is equipped to be an evangelist. I do pray for Trump every day, just like I did for Obama.
                          Like my Momma always said "he needs the prayer, I need the practice!"

Comment

Originally posted by Sparko View Post
                            I usually don't care politically if the President is Christian or not, most have been Christian in name only. I think That the two Bush's and Jimmy Carter were true Christians, but I have my doubts about Clinton and Obama. Reagan I think was a bit of an unorthodox Christian (Nancy and him consulted fortune tellers for instance)

It seems to me that Trump has no real idea what being a Christian is all about or who Jesus is. He is a CINA. Christian in Name Only. He thinks if he goes through the motions that makes him a Christian. Go to church, be good, respect the preachers.

If he were a true Christian his answer about forgiveness would have been completely different. And his answer to "who is Jesus" would have been too.
                            So, yeah, based on his own "testimony"....

Comment

Originally posted by Cow Poke View Post
                              So, yeah, based on his own "testimony"....
                              If he were on tweb we would probably make him set his faith designation to "unorthodox"

(or "completely ignorant")

Comment