Announcement

Collapse

Civics 101 Guidelines

Want to argue about politics? Healthcare reform? Taxes? Governments? You've come to the right place!

Try to keep it civil though. The rules still apply here.
See more
See less

Obama's Farewell Speech

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Obama's Farewell Speech

Before we get underway, I'd like to ask everyone to keep the conversation civil. Respect the subject matter, and respect the other posters. Darth Executor and demi-conservative are asked not to post in this thread.

http://bigstory.ap.org/article/5f2a5...pared-delivery

It struck me as very typical Obama, for better or for worse.

Some bits that stuck out to me:

if every economic issue is framed as a struggle between a hardworking white middle class and undeserving minorities, then workers of all shades will be left fighting for scraps while the wealthy withdraw further into their private enclaves. If we decline to invest in the children of immigrants, just because they don't look like us, we diminish the prospects of our own children - because those brown kids will represent a larger share of America's workforce.

First sentence is good, but bolded bit strikes me as a strawman-- it would have been a stronger argument without it. I wonder whether any of the left-leaning elite will actually take this implicit criticism of their economic self-isolation to heart (I confess I have little confidence that the right-leaning elite will, either, but the former group might at least have listened to the speech).

For blacks and other minorities, it means tying our own struggles for justice to the challenges that a lot of people in this country face - the refugee, the immigrant, the rural poor, the transgender American, and also the middle-aged white man who from the outside may seem like he's got all the advantages, but who's seen his world upended by economic, cultural, and technological change.

For white Americans, it means acknowledging that the effects of slavery and Jim Crow didn't suddenly vanish in the '60s; that when minority groups voice discontent, they're not just engaging in reverse racism or practicing political correctness; that when they wage peaceful protest, they're not demanding special treatment, but the equal treatment our Founders promised.

The bit I bolded here seems like Obama's attempt to explain Trump voters in a charitable way. I've definitely seen worse attempts. In the passage overall, Obama seems to be trying to bridge the racial divide, though I wonder how plausible both sides will find it.

Politics is a battle of ideas; in the course of a healthy debate, we'll prioritize different goals, and the different means of reaching them. But without some common baseline of facts; without a willingness to admit new information, and concede that your opponent is making a fair point, and that science and reason matter, we'll keep talking past each other, making common ground and compromise impossible.

Isn't that part of what makes politics so dispiriting? How can elected officials rage about deficits when we propose to spend money on preschool for kids, but not when we're cutting taxes for corporations? How do we excuse ethical lapses in our own party, but pounce when the other party does the same thing? It's not just dishonest, this selective sorting of the facts; it's self-defeating. Because as my mother used to tell me, reality has a way of catching up with you.

I really feel like adding an additional example aimed at the Left here would have really made this point better.

That order is now being challenged - first by violent fanatics who claim to speak for Islam; more recently by autocrats in foreign capitals who see free markets, open democracies, and civil society itself as a threat to their power.

Is this supposed to refer to Putin, or...?

All in all, yeah, typical Obama, and what I would expect of a politician-- personal, certainly, but not genuinely humanizing. He's trying to define and defend his legacy, but he doesn't engage any doubts or regrets about his own conduct or decisions, which, frankly, is something I think we need more of, something which I think will be crucial in actually building civil public discourse.
    Don't call it a comeback. It's a riposte.

Originally posted by Spartacus View Post
    All in all, yeah, typical Obama, and what I would expect of a politician-- personal, certainly, but not genuinely humanizing. He's trying to define and defend his legacy, but he doesn't engage any doubts or regrets about his own conduct or decisions, which, frankly, is something I think we need more of, something which I think will be crucial in actually building civil public discourse.
    Agreed. I don't think Obama has any credibility with certain sections of America, and so he won't be able to bridge any racial gaps, or even improve discourse. He puts forward some nice ideas and principles, but I suspect many will say 'Why didn't you do those things while you were President?'. It can be seen as hypocritical to call for future politicians to abstain from the stuff you've engaged in, especially when you don't come out and admit you were wrong about some things.
    ...>>> Witty remark or snarky quote of another poster goes here <<<...

Comment

Good riddance.
      Some may call me foolish, and some may call me odd
      But I'd rather be a fool in the eyes of man
      Than a fool in the eyes of God

From "Fools Gold" by Petra

Comment

Edited by a Moderator

Moderator Notice

you were asked by the OP not to post in this thread and need to respect that.

***If you wish to take issue with this notice DO NOT do so in this thread.***
        Contact the forum moderator or an administrator in Private Message or email instead. If you feel you must publicly complain or whine, please take it to the Psychotherapy Room unless told otherwise.

Last edited by RumTumTugger; 01-11-2017, 09:01 AM.
        "As for my people, children are their oppressors, and women rule over them. O my people, they which lead thee cause thee to err, and destroy the way of thy paths." Isaiah 3:12

There is no such thing as innocence, only degrees of guilt.

Comment

Bon voyage.

Comment

His words were on the surface, fairly "nice" and "unifying" but reading "between the lines" you could hear a lot of digs against Trump and his supporters. Like the comment about disagreeing is fine but you need a common base, and then using the "Global Warming" denial as an example. That was a direct dig at Trump.

Overall, his speech was so-so. It had some good points, some subtle digs, and some good advice. The advice, I felt was delivered to "others" and not to himself or democrats, but they should have been. He mentioned things like supporting the rule of law and order and seeing the good in others. Good advice for EVERYONE, including the BLM for instance.

Comment

I didn't watch it, but my daughter started texting me when it came on... I think she must be more "right wing" than me.

I just asked how many times he referred to himself, and she said "a bunch". According to one source, it was 75 times.
              "Obama said “I” 33 times during the speech, “my” 20 times, “me” 10 times, and “I’m” or “I’ve” 12 times."

The first to state his case seems right until another comes and cross-examines him.

Comment

It's good to be home. My fellow Americans, Michelle and I have been so touched by all the well-wishes we've received over the past few weeks.
                If all goes well and he does hand over office to Trump in a few more days, I wish him well from then on, with his family, as long as he stays off politics.

There is a place called Obama Beach somewhere, if he retires as a bar man there, it would be great!
                http://notontimsblogroundhere.blogspot.fr/p/apologetics-section.html

Thanks, Sparko, for telling how I add the link here!

Comment

I can't wait to see Trump taking the oath of office with O looking on!
                  Atheism is the cult of death, the death of hope. The universe is doomed, you are doomed, the only thing that remains is to await your execution...

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Jbnueb2OI4o&t=3s

Comment

"I, Donald J. Trump, so totally swear to uphold the constitution of the United States of America, am I right? So nice. So nice. And I swear to uphold the office of the President of the United States of America, so we can make America Great Again. That's right! Great! More jobs! A wall! It's all going to be worth it, I promise you. So help me God."

Comment

Originally posted by Sparko View Post
                      "I, Donald J. Trump, so totally swear to uphold the constitution of the United States of America, am I right? So nice. So nice. And I swear to uphold the office of the President of the United States of America, so we can make America Great Again. That's right! Great! More jobs! A wall! It's all going to be worth it, I promise you. So help me God."
                      Hehe, that will work for me!
                      Atheism is the cult of death, the death of hope. The universe is doomed, you are doomed, the only thing that remains is to await your execution...

Comment

Originally posted by seer View Post
                        I can't wait to see Trump taking the oath of office with O looking on!
                        Even better will be seeing the booze-fueled rage in Hillary's eyes as she once again has to watch her long-shot challenger be sworn in! I'm actually surprised she's attending.
                        Some may call me foolish, and some may call me odd
                        But I'd rather be a fool in the eyes of man
                        Than a fool in the eyes of God

From "Fools Gold" by Petra

Comment

Originally posted by Mountain Man View Post
                          Even better will be seeing the booze-fueled rage in Hillary's eyes as she once again has to watch her long-shot challenger be sworn in! I'm actually surprised she's attending.
                          If I were her, I would be drunk too!

Comment

Originally posted by hansgeorg View Post
                            If all goes well and he does hand over office to Trump in a few more days, I wish him well from then on, with his family, as long as he stays off politics.

There is a place called Obama Beach somewhere, if he retires as a bar man there, it would be great!

Do you mean Omaha Beach?

Securely anchored to the Rock amid every storm of trial, testing or tribulation.

Comment

Originally posted by Mountain Man View Post
                              I don't much like Hillary, but I'm pretty sure she's smart enough not to be drunk in public.
                              Enter the Church and wash away your sins. For here there is a hospital and not a court of law. Do not be ashamed to enter the Church; be ashamed when you sin, but not when you repent. – St. John Chrysostom

Veritas vos Liberabit<>< Learn Greek <>< Look here for an Orthodox Church in America<><Ancient Faith Radio
                              sigpic
                              I recommend you do not try too hard and ...research as little as possible. Such weighty things give me a headache. - Shunyadragon, Baha'i apologist

Comment