Announcement

Collapse

Civics 101 Guidelines

Want to argue about politics? Healthcare reform? Taxes? Governments? You've come to the right place!

Try to keep it civil though. The rules still apply here.
See more
See less

The left’s nauseating love affair with “Beto.”

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• The left’s nauseating love affair with “Beto.”

Beto is a hoot!

beto.jpg

One of the more mystifying outcomes of the recent midterms, particularly as the nation reflects on the full life and multifarious accomplishments of George H.W. Bush, has been the elevation of Robert Francis O’Rourke to the top tier of potential presidential contenders. In response to a recent Morning Consult poll, registered Democrats ranked the losing Senate candidate among their top three preferences for the party’s 2020 nomination. They favored “Beto” over Elizabeth Warren, Cory Booker, Kamala Harris, Sherrod Brown, et al. The only two potential candidates who ranked higher than the Texas congressman were septuagenarians Joe Biden and Bernie Sanders.

Part of O’Rourke’s popularity is due, of course, to the amount of sycophantic media coverage he has received pursuant to his failed bid to unseat Senator Ted Cruz. The volume and tone of this coverage should not be contemplated during or immediately after eating. Politico, for example, just published a lengthy piece comparing Beto to Abraham Lincoln. I’m not kidding. And Politico is by no means the only publication to do so. In fact, O’Rourke has himself suggested a none-too-subtle connection between his own career and that of the Great Emancipator. Three weeks ago he published a solipsistic blog post about a morning run, which took him (Surprise!) to the Lincoln Memorial:
    I walked over to the north wall and read Lincoln’s second inaugural address. My body warm, blood flowing through me, moving my legs as I read, the words so present in a way that I can’t describe or explain.… Picked up my run as I headed due East, now on the south side of the reflecting pool. Snow in my face, the flakes smaller, more biting now, maybe sleet. It had changed. My knee no longer hurt.… I wondered if the winds had changed too.

You can’t say you weren’t warned if you are now wiping vomit from your screen. It goes without saying that O’Rourke’s self-indulgent verbal slush fails to note that the inaugural address which so moved him would never have been delivered if Lincoln hadn’t defeated his northern Democratic opponent in 1864. The ability to recognize such irony requires the kind of intellectual subtlety with which Lincoln was so generously endowed and which neither nature nor education has provided Beto. Such subtlety has also been cruelly withheld from his media boosters as well as his star-struck supporters, who actually believe he has Lincoln’s greatness plus Barack Obama’s voter appeal.
    The first to state his case seems right until another comes and cross-examines him.

Never heard of him until this post.

Comment

Heard the name. But I know nothing about him and I'll keep it that way until I have to know something about him
      A happy family is but an earlier heaven.
      George Bernard Shaw

Comment

He came close to flipping Cruz's seat blue. He seems to have figured out a way to activate hispanic voters. They'd be stupid not to at least listen to him.
        "Down in the lowlands, where the water is deep,
        Hear my cry, hear my shout,
        Save me, save me"

Comment

Originally posted by Leonhard View Post
          Never heard of him until this post.
          He's been all over Texas, and was hoping to defeat Ted Cruz for Ted's Senate seat. The guys a nut, but the liberals seem to be drooling over him the way they did for "the One".
          The first to state his case seems right until another comes and cross-examines him.

Comment

Originally posted by Catholicity View Post
            Heard the name. But I know nothing about him and I'll keep it that way until I have to know something about him
            It would not surprise me if the liberals exalt him to similar status as they did with Obama - "the One". He has somewhat of a cult following in Texas.

Comment

Beto O’Rourke met with Barack Obama as he ponders a 2020 presidential campaign

Beto O’Rourke, weighing whether to mount a 2020 presidential bid, met recently with Barack Obama at his post-presidency offices in Washington.

The meeting, which was held on Nov. 16 at the former president’s offices in Foggy Bottom, came as former Obama aides have encouraged the Democratic House member to run, seeing him as capable of the same kind of inspirational campaign that caught fire in the 2008 presidential election.

The meeting was the first sign of Obama getting personally involved in conversations with O’Rourke, who despite his November loss in a U.S. Senate race in Texas has triggered more recent discussion and speculation than any other candidate in the burgeoning 2020 field.

TMZ, the Hollywood-based entertainment website, is now trailing O’Rourke; he is being swamped by calls from Democratic operatives eager to work for him, and other campaigns-in-the-making are eyeing his moves closely for any signs of his intentions. O’Rourke said at an El Paso town hall last week that he was considering a run, pending discussions with his family.

His meeting with Obama came amid cross-pressures on O’Rourke to forgo a run for president to mount another bid for U.S. Senate, challenging Sen. John Cornyn (R-Tex.) in 2020.

A spokeswoman for Obama declined to comment on the meeting. O’Rourke’s spokesman also declined to comment. The former president has reportedly met with several potential 2020 candidates, including Sen. Elizabeth Warren (D-Mass.), Sen. Bernie Sanders (I-Vt.), and former New Orleans mayor Mitch Landrieu. He is in the awkward position of trying to ensure his party wins back the White House, but without weighing in too aggressively in a primary that could consist of his former vice president (Joe Biden), his longtime friend (former Massachusetts governor Deval Patrick), and former Cabinet officials (Eric H. Holder Jr., his attorney general, and Julián Castro, his housing secretary).

Comment

Well he did get reasonably close to beating a Conservative in Texas of all places, plus his pledge not to take PAC money is also seen as a positive.

Many progressives I've spoken to would rather see O'Rourke as a great VP nominee for a solid Presidential nominee. The main thing they all agree on is not to nominate a tired candidate, regardless of how good they are or would be. New blood is what they're after.

Someone mentioned Ocasio-Cortez in a few years (too young right now), but I personally find it unlikely. The GOP spin machine is already starting the propaganda stories and she's likely to be pizzagated before long so by the time she's old enough she may already be damaged goods. After Hillary they do need another boogeyman (woman) after all.

Comment

Originally posted by Cow Poke View Post

Beto is a hoot!

[ATTACH=CONFIG]33526[/ATTACH]

One of the more mystifying outcomes of the recent midterms, particularly as the nation reflects on the full life and multifarious accomplishments of George H.W. Bush, has been the elevation of Robert Francis O’Rourke to the top tier of potential presidential contenders. In response to a recent Morning Consult poll, registered Democrats ranked the losing Senate candidate among their top three preferences for the party’s 2020 nomination. They favored “Beto” over Elizabeth Warren, Cory Booker, Kamala Harris, Sherrod Brown, et al. The only two potential candidates who ranked higher than the Texas congressman were septuagenarians Joe Biden and Bernie Sanders.

Part of O’Rourke’s popularity is due, of course, to the amount of sycophantic media coverage he has received pursuant to his failed bid to unseat Senator Ted Cruz. The volume and tone of this coverage should not be contemplated during or immediately after eating. Politico, for example, just published a lengthy piece comparing Beto to Abraham Lincoln. I’m not kidding. And Politico is by no means the only publication to do so. In fact, O’Rourke has himself suggested a none-too-subtle connection between his own career and that of the Great Emancipator. Three weeks ago he published a solipsistic blog post about a morning run, which took him (Surprise!) to the Lincoln Memorial:
                  I walked over to the north wall and read Lincoln’s second inaugural address. My body warm, blood flowing through me, moving my legs as I read, the words so present in a way that I can’t describe or explain.… Picked up my run as I headed due East, now on the south side of the reflecting pool. Snow in my face, the flakes smaller, more biting now, maybe sleet. It had changed. My knee no longer hurt.… I wondered if the winds had changed too.

You can’t say you weren’t warned if you are now wiping vomit from your screen. It goes without saying that O’Rourke’s self-indulgent verbal slush fails to note that the inaugural address which so moved him would never have been delivered if Lincoln hadn’t defeated his northern Democratic opponent in 1864. The ability to recognize such irony requires the kind of intellectual subtlety with which Lincoln was so generously endowed and which neither nature nor education has provided Beto. Such subtlety has also been cruelly withheld from his media boosters as well as his star-struck supporters, who actually believe he has Lincoln’s greatness plus Barack Obama’s voter appeal.
                  Opinion piece from the conservative rag, the American Spectator. Just your speed, CP. The media didn't make Beto O'Rourke, he nearly turned bright red Texas to blue, that's why he got a lot of media coverage.

Comment

Originally posted by JimL View Post
                    Opinion piece from the conservative rag, the American Spectator.
                    Very good, Peewee! You must be having one of your less disoriented days!

Comment

Originally posted by EvoUK View Post
                      Well he did get reasonably close to beating a Conservative in Texas of all places, plus his pledge not to take PAC money is also seen as a positive.
                      He ran against Ted Cruz -- many of us conservative Texans don't much cotton to Ted.

Comment

Originally posted by EvoUK View Post
                        Well he did get reasonably close to beating a Conservative in Texas of all places
                        Aside from the fact is becoming increasingly "purple" and Ted Cruz isn't exactly a strong candidate, I can see the campaign slogan now: "My home state rejected me, maybe I have a better shot with you."

I'm always still in trouble again

"You're by far the worst poster on TWeb" and "TWeb's biggest liar" --starlight (the guy who says Stalin was a right-winger)
                        "Overall I would rate the withdrawal from Afghanistan as by far the best thing Biden's done" --Starlight
                        "Of course, human life begins at fertilization that’s not the argument." --Tassman

Comment

Originally posted by rogue06 View Post
                          Aside from the fact is becoming increasingly "purple" and Ted Cruz isn't exactly a strong candidate, I can see the campaign slogan now: "My home state rejected me, maybe I have a better shot with you."
                          Texas is getting a MASSIVE influx of folks from the Northern states and California. Many of them leave their states that are a mess, and come here and vote the same way they did where they are from....causing the state to become more like the messed up state they fled from....
                          "What has the Church gained if it is popular, but there is no conviction, no repentance, no power?" - A.W. Tozer

"... there are two parties in Washington, the stupid party and the evil party, who occasionally get together and do something both stupid and evil, and this is called bipartisanship." - Everett Dirksen

Comment

Originally posted by Cow Poke View Post
                            He's been all over Texas, and was hoping to defeat Ted Cruz for Ted's Senate seat. The guys a nut, but the liberals seem to be drooling over him the way they did for "the One".
                            In Europe we liked Obama's poise. But the US was just as war hungry during that period as it was during Bush, so that didn't exactly win approval over here.

The best thing I can say about Trump is that he hasn't started another war and he seems to frown on them.

Comment

Originally posted by Leonhard View Post
                              In Europe we liked Obama's poise. But the US was just as war hungry during that period as it was during Bush, so that didn't exactly win approval over here.

The best thing I can say about Trump is that he hasn't started another war and he seems to frown on them.
                              He appears to be all bark and no bite.

Comment