Announcement

Collapse

Prayer Requests and Praise Reports Guidelines

Post your prayers, your words of encouragement, edification and help to another in this thread.

This area is strictly non-debate, all faiths or non-faiths are allowed.

Please keep in mind the rules: here
See more
See less

The ROOF fell in!!!

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• The ROOF fell in!!!

About 35 years ago (before I was at this Church) the congregation decided to build a new auditorium next to their current church plant. It would be joined by a hallway that pretty much surrounds the auditorium.

They made a tragic mistake, by allowing the roof of this "between the buildings" foyer and hallway to be a flat roof, onto which all of the rainwater from the existing building AND the new building flow. MANY attempts have been made to correct the error - sealing the bricks on the walls above the roof, foam roof, patch roof, new flashing --- TWO of the projects cost $40,000 EACH!!!!

The most recent was one of those "spray on foam" jobs, and the roof still leaked, but that contractor (he was a biggie) got sued out of business because he roofed a bunch of buildings down in Galveston, and they didn't fare too well under hurricanes - and the seagulls would come eat the roof then poop Styrofoam on the beaches and die.

Whenever we would have a hard blowing rain (particularly from the north or east) we could count on the ceiling tiles in the hallway getting drenched, to the point of collapsing soggy wet onto the floor, then we'd have to get out the wet vacs, have a major cleanup, dry the carpet, repeat. Literally.

hallway 1.jpghallway 2.jpg

About a year ago, a man who attends our Church occasionally, offered to pay for the repair of the roof, if the Church would agree to purchase a new air conditioner (roof mounted) which needed desperately to be replaced. (It would be silly to remove that bad AC unit, fix the roof, then put that bad AC unit back in place. The new AC unit was going to be about $40,000. We simply, at that time, didn't have the funds.

The man decided to back out of the deal - his part without the AC was going to be about $60,000.

Last winter, we had yet another horrible rain episode, ceiling tiles collapsing, soggy wet stuff, wet vac, cleanup, repeat.... I posted a few pictures on Facebook.

That evening, I got an email from the general contractor advising me that the project was "back on the front burner", to be paid in FULL by "others".

Work started today - here's the old AC unit being lifted off the roof.

old AC going away.jpg

That's over $100,000 worth of NEW ROOF that isn't costing the Church a single DIME!!!!

Praise God from whom all blessings flow!!!
    The first to state his case seems right until another comes and cross-examines him.

God bless the anonymous donor.

I mean that generally as well as here specifically. They are the ones who try to do what is good without ever expecting praise and adulation for their work.

I'm always still in trouble again

"You're by far the worst poster on TWeb" and "TWeb's biggest liar" --starlight (the guy who says Stalin was a right-winger)
    "Overall I would rate the withdrawal from Afghanistan as by far the best thing Biden's done" --Starlight
    "Of course, human life begins at fertilization that’s not the argument." --Tassman

Comment

Originally posted by rogue06 View Post
      God bless the anonymous donor.

I mean that generally as well as here specifically. They are the ones who try to do what is good without ever expecting praise and adulation for their work.
      And I'm in a quandary -- I want to thank him, but I'm not supposed to know who he is (publicly) - and he doesn't want his wife to know he's donating the money.

How many of us could spend $100,000 and our spouse not know?
      The first to state his case seems right until another comes and cross-examines him.

Comment

Here's a picture of the problem - I'm standing on the roof of the existing L-shaped building, looking at the main auditorium, and the hallways wrap around the main auditorium - you can see where the huge package AC units have already been removed. That roof acts like a giant bathtub catching all of the rain water from half of the auditorium roof, and half of the original building roof. When it rains hard, there's just not a way for the water to escape fast enough, though they do have some weep holes (they need crybaby holes)

roof project small.jpg

Comment

Originally posted by Cow Poke View Post
          And I'm in a quandary -- I want to thank him, but I'm not supposed to know who he is (publicly) - and he doesn't want his wife to know he's donating the money.

How many of us could spend $100,000 and our spouse not know?
          Honor his wishes.

"You're by far the worst poster on TWeb" and "TWeb's biggest liar" --starlight (the guy who says Stalin was a right-winger)
          "Overall I would rate the withdrawal from Afghanistan as by far the best thing Biden's done" --Starlight
          "Of course, human life begins at fertilization that’s not the argument." --Tassman

Comment

Honor his wishes.
            WHAT?!?!?! You don't want me spitting into the wind? Tugging on Superman's cape.....?

Yes - this is the same man who anonymously gave me $10,000 to get our dying building contractor into the hospital for a new liver -- that man (the liver recipient) is doing SUPER, is active in the Church, and helps out with all kinds of projects. Docs said, if they hadn't found him a liver, he had maybe 1 or 2 more days on this planet.

Comment

WHAT?!?!?! You don't want me spitting into the wind? Tugging on Superman's cape.....?

Yes - this is the same man who anonymously gave me $10,000 to get our dying building contractor into the hospital for a new liver -- that man (the liver recipient) is doing SUPER, is active in the Church, and helps out with all kinds of projects. Docs said, if they hadn't found him a liver, he had maybe 1 or 2 more days on this planet.
              Pm me your address and I'll send you a lovely card to give him......anonymously, of course.

Securely anchored to the Rock amid every storm of trial, testing or tribulation.

Comment

Seriously, he may not want anyone to know and sending a card (even anonymously) would let him know that his secret wasn't so secret.

Comment

Seriously, he may not want anyone to know and sending a card (even anonymously) would let him know that his secret wasn't so secret.
                  Yeah, I know -- he and I handle these matters "back channel". Been working with him like this for 7 years now.

Trying to figure out how to do a card, without.... yeah - cause he had asked me NOT to send thank you cards to the house.

SO, moss.... maybe not.

Comment

He doesn't seem to mind me showing appreciation in person, and we'll occasionally have breakfast or something just to catch up. But the think I love about his brand of giving - NEVER are there strings attached.

Comment

Yeah, I know -- he and I handle these matters "back channel". Been working with him like this for 7 years now.

Trying to figure out how to do a card, without.... yeah - cause he had asked me NOT to send thank you cards to the house.

SO, moss.... maybe not.
                      How about I send you a card, and you can decide whether you want to give it to him or not. And if not, you'll have a nice card to give to someone else sometime.

Securely anchored to the Rock amid every storm of trial, testing or tribulation.

Comment

Originally posted by mossrose View Post
                        How about I send you a card, and you can decide whether you want to give it to him or not. And if not, you'll have a nice card to give to someone else sometime.
                        That works, and I can even foresee a situation where I can say "somebody gave this to me to give to 'whoever it is' who is blessing the Church".

Comment

That works, and I can even foresee a situation where I can say "somebody gave this to me to give to 'whoever it is' who is blessing the Church".
                          Done and done.

Comment

And you can guarantee him that the person who gave you the card to give to him would NEVER tell his wife, since the person who gave you the card to give to him has no clue who he is.

Just a pray-er who is grateful for God's usage of this man to help His church.

Comment

I just share this here as an encouragement, knowing nobody here knows the man....

But it seems in EVERY church I've been in, when folks get worried about "how are we gonna pay the light bill" - I just tell them "we preach the Word, live the Christian life, and trust in the Lord". I could write a book about all the times God has used somebody in mighty ways to fulfill needs "just in time".

Comment