Announcement

Collapse

Civics 101 Guidelines

Want to argue about politics? Healthcare reform? Taxes? Governments? You've come to the right place!

Try to keep it civil though. The rules still apply here.
See more
See less

No Welfare For Immigrants....

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• No Welfare For Immigrants....

Why is the left so upset?

To protect benefits for American citizens, immigrants must be financially self-sufficient

The Trump Administration is releasing a final rule that will protect American taxpayers, preserve our social safety net for vulnerable Americans, and uphold the rule of law.

This action will help ensure that if aliens want to enter or remain in the United States they must support themselves, and not rely on public benefits.

An alien who receives public benefits above a certain threshold is known as a “public charge.”

Aliens will be barred from entering the United States if they are found likely to become public charges.

Aliens in the United States who are found likely to become public charges will also be barred from adjusting their immigration status

President Trump is enforcing this longstanding law to prevent aliens from depending on public benefit programs.

https://www.whitehouse.gov/briefings...ublic-benefit/
    Atheism is the cult of death, the death of hope. The universe is doomed, you are doomed, the only thing that remains is to await your execution...

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Jbnueb2OI4o&t=3s

This rule is exactly why it took so long and was so difficult for me to get a visa/green card for Rational Gaze. Our first application was denied because my income wasn't far enough above that year's official poverty level, even though I was working three jobs. I was living with my parents at the time so I reapplied with my income combined with my father's and got his visa that way. My father had to fill out a form saying that he'd support us. The whole process was a nightmare, but that was mostly because the entire system seems to be engineered to keep people out at all costs, and not merely to keep people off benefits.
    Curiosity never hurt anyone. It was stupidity that killed the cat.

Comment

Originally posted by QuantaFille View Post
      This rule is exactly why it took so long and was so difficult for me to get a visa/green card for Rational Gaze. Our first application was denied because my income wasn't far enough above that year's official poverty level, even though I was working three jobs. I was living with my parents at the time so I reapplied with my income combined with my father's and got his visa that way. My father had to fill out a form saying that he'd support us. The whole process was a nightmare, but that was mostly because the entire system seems to be engineered to keep people out at all costs, and not merely to keep people off benefits.
      Yeah I remember that. You two tried for over a year, doing everything the right way and not getting anywhere, while thousands of illegal aliens were pouring into the country.

I always thought if you married an American citizen, you got an automatic Green Card. I sure was wrong.

My dad married my mother in Germany and brought her back with him. I guess she got a green card because he was in the army or something.

Comment

Originally posted by QuantaFille View Post
        So all this isn't new?
        Atheism is the cult of death, the death of hope. The universe is doomed, you are doomed, the only thing that remains is to await your execution...

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Jbnueb2OI4o&t=3s

Comment

Originally posted by Sparko View Post
          Yeah I remember that. You two tried for over a year, doing everything the right way and not getting anywhere, while thousands of illegal aliens were pouring into the country.

I always thought if you married an American citizen, you got an automatic Green Card. I sure was wrong.

My dad married my mother in Germany and brought her back with him. I guess she got a green card because he was in the army or something.
          It used to be that if you married a citizen, you automatically got a green card. Then people started tricking citizens into marrying them, then once they had their green card, they'd divorce the citizen and bring their real family into the country. In order to put a stop to that, they started investigating relationships on a level that threatens privacy. They want proof that you've been living together, sharing household bills, have children together, etc.. I don't know how we're supposed to have done those things if he's not allowed to live here and work here without the visa, so it was difficult for us to prove the legitimacy of our marriage. I ended up having my parents sign before a notary a statement that they had met RG and had seen us together and knew that we were for real. I also submitted wedding pictures, and a picture of the two of us at his graduation ceremony when he got his Master's degree. I also had printed out the entire history of our online chats, but I don't remember if I ended up having to submit that. I also had to submit three year's worth of my tax returns, and on the final round of applications, three years of my father's tax returns as well. The whole process made my mother very indignant, and she'd rant about how I had to work my butt off and still couldn't get approved to live with my legal spouse, meanwhile illegals were handed whatever they desired on a silver platter.

Regarding military families, the rules are completely different. When I was researching the rules, I frequently saw things like, "... unless you're in the military, then the requirements are...". It's always been easy for them to bring back spouses from overseas.

Comment

Originally posted by seer View Post
            So all this isn't new?
            Oh goodness no. This was all well before Trump.

Comment

Why do they make it so hard to immigrate legally?
              If it weren't for the Resurrection of Jesus, we'd all be in DEEP TROUBLE!

Comment

The UK does similar.

a good friend of mine (one of my groomsmen at my wedding) has full British citizenship. He can't move to the UK because as a teacher he would not earn enough to be able to sponsor the visas for his wife and son (and they just had a daughter as well, so even harder now).

My sister could not sponsor her two sons to come over as she was not earning enough before she finished her studies (so they had to live with her ex in South Africa)

Another friend has full British Citizenship. His wife of 20 years had British Residency. because they had lived in NZ for over 10 years (their daughter got a full musical scholarship at a v. good school in the UK, the wife is a concert pianist), for her to renew her residency, they had to sell their NZ house and keep the funds in a UK bank account for a year (could have been 6 months, I can't recall the exact time frame).

And if I recall correctly Quanta, RG could not sponsor you to join him in the UK for the same reasons

Here in NZ, my brother had to have full residency and prove that he had the funds to look after my folks before he could sponsor them for visas to move over (and that Visa category is currently closed). After having Residency/Citizenship for 10 years they will qualify for superannuation. (they did get covered by state health once they had their residency for a year).
                Be watchful, stand firm in the faith, act like men, be strong.
                1 Corinthians 16:13

"...he [Doherty] is no historian and he is not even conversant with the historical discussions of the very matters he wants to pontificate on."
                -Ben Witherington III

Comment

Originally posted by Raphael View Post
                  The UK does similar.

a good friend of mine (one of my groomsmen at my wedding) has full British citizenship. He can't move to the UK because as a teacher he would not earn enough to be able to sponsor the visas for his wife and son (and they just had a daughter as well, so even harder now).

My sister could not sponsor her two sons to come over as she was not earning enough before she finished her studies (so they had to live with her ex in South Africa)

Another friend has full British Citizenship. His wife of 20 years had British Residency. because they had lived in NZ for over 10 years (their daughter got a full musical scholarship at a v. good school in the UK, the wife is a concert pianist), for her to renew her residency, they had to sell their NZ house and keep the funds in a UK bank account for a year (could have been 6 months, I can't recall the exact time frame).

And if I recall correctly Quanta, RG could not sponsor you to join him in the UK for the same reasons

Here in NZ, my brother had to have full residency and prove that he had the funds to look after my folks before he could sponsor them for visas to move over (and that Visa category is currently closed). After having Residency/Citizenship for 10 years they will qualify for superannuation. (they did get covered by state health once they had their residency for a year).
                  Back in the mid to late 80s a friend of mine wanted to move to New Zealand but was first required to deposit $10,000 in a NZ bank for each member of his family (that would have been $70,000) in order to show that he wouldn't just move there and be a burden on the system.

I think he was supposed to leave it there for a set time as well but I'm not sure.

I'm always still in trouble again

"You're by far the worst poster on TWeb" and "TWeb's biggest liar" --starlight (the guy who says Stalin was a right-winger)
                  "Overall I would rate the withdrawal from Afghanistan as by far the best thing Biden's done" --Starlight
                  "Of course, human life begins at fertilization that’s not the argument." --Tassman

Comment

The UK does similar.

Yeah that is pretty much the standard practice for most nations, requiring immigrants to be able to prove they can support themselves before allowing them in. One way I think is you can apply for wanted positions in areas that the country wants or needs more people in. Like being a doctor, engineer, etc. Countries want people who will contribute to the nation's economy, not be a drain on it.

Here is the list for New Zealand: https://skillshortages.immigration.govt.nz/

Comment

Originally posted by rogue06 View Post
                      Back in the mid to late 80s a friend of mine wanted to move to New Zealand but was first required to deposit $10,000 in a NZ bank for each member of his family (that would have been $70,000) in order to show that he wouldn't just move there and be a burden on the system.

I think he was supposed to leave it there for a set time as well but I'm not sure.
                      It depends on the Visa category. I came over first on a work visa, and then applied to get Residency on the basis of my field being on the skills shortage list and having enougn points (for qualifications, field, location age etc.) to be selected. I had to earn enough to sponsor my wife and at the time 1 daughter.

If you're coming over on an entrepreneual visa you have to have have either NZ$500,000 available in funds, or have bought/started a business with a sound business plan.

If you're coming over on an invesment Visa, you need atleast NZ$1,000,000 invested and once you're here you can't touch it for 5 years.
                      Be watchful, stand firm in the faith, act like men, be strong.
                      1 Corinthians 16:13

"...he [Doherty] is no historian and he is not even conversant with the historical discussions of the very matters he wants to pontificate on."
                      -Ben Witherington III

Comment

Originally posted by Christianbookworm View Post
                        Why do they make it so hard to immigrate legally?
                        You outta try moving to Australia - some senior adult friends of mine have been trying for several years. Many countries want to know that you will not be a burden to their system, and that you can sustain yourself, and/or contribute to the system.
                        The first to state his case seems right until another comes and cross-examines him.

Comment

Sounds like an interesting experiment.

Comment

Our original plan was for me to move to the UK so RG could get his PhD at the university near where he lived. He wasn't able to find a job making enough money, even with them cutting him some slack for being on disability. So, he's here instead, about to finish training to teach high school social studies, and then we'll figure out the PhD at some point.

Comment

Originally posted by Cow Poke View Post
                              You outta try moving to Australia - some senior adult friends of mine have been trying for several years. Many countries want to know that you will not be a burden to their system, and that you can sustain yourself, and/or contribute to the system.
                              Back in the day, all you had to do to move to Australia was commit a crime.

Comment