Announcement

Collapse

Deeper Waters Forum Guidelines

Notice – The ministries featured in this section of TheologyWeb are guests of this site and in some cases not bargaining for the rough and tumble world of debate forums, though sometimes they are. Additionally, this area is frequented and highlighted for guests who also very often are not acclimated to debate fora. As such, the rules of conduct here will be more strict than in the general forum. This will be something within the discretion of the Moderators and the Ministry Representative, but we simply ask that you conduct yourselves in a manner considerate of the fact that these ministries are our invited guests. You can always feel free to start a related thread in general forum without such extra restrictions. Thank you.

Deeper Waters is founded on the belief that the Christian community has long been in the shallow end of Christianity while there are treasures of the deep waiting to be discovered. Too many in the shallow end are not prepared when they go out beyond those waters and are quickly devoured by sharks. We wish to aid Christians to equip them to navigate the deeper waters of the ocean of truth and come up with treasure in the end.

We also wish to give special aid to those often neglected, that is, the disabled community. This is especially so since our founders are both on the autism spectrum and have a special desire to reach those on that spectrum. While they are a special emphasis, we seek to help others with any disability realize that God can use them and that they are as the Psalmist says, fearfully and wonderfully made.

General TheologyWeb forum rules: here.
See more
See less

On Good Coming From Evil

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• On Good Coming From Evil

Why is evil allowed to happen?

The link can be found here.

------

Can anything good come out of this? Let's plunge into the Deeper Waters and find out.

Last night, my wife was talking on the phone to a friend of ours and I could hear what my wife was saying. She was talking about a guy who she had had a romantic interest in before I came along. She was saying that if she met him today, she would first be angry with him because of how he treated her, but then she would thank him. Why? Because it was through what he did to her that eventually she came to meet me and if she hadn't have had the evil happen, she likely would not have had the good happen.

Why do I bring this up? Because this is the kind of thing I usually hear when it comes to the problem of evil. How can a good God allow X to happen? At the time, many of the sufferings we undergo do not seem pleasant. We wonder how it is that a loving God could ever allow them. Years later many times, we look back and we're thankful for that struggle. A lot of us look back at those times with great appreciation.

This is one reason I just find the problem of evil entirely unconvincing. At the time being, it can be convincing, but this is usually in an emotional sense rather than a rational sense. It's also because at the time of suffering, we have a tendency to look at the suffering itself and not look at every other good thing. The good often pales in comparison.

Could it also be something else? Could it be that we in here in the West have an entitlement mindset? We don't think that we deserve what is happening to us. We often have this idea in our minds that if you do good, you should get rewarded immediately and if you do evil, you should get punished immediately.

We cry out to God for justice, and many times it does not come immediately, yet at this we should often be relieved. After all, God says that He has no impartiality or favoritism. If He comes to give justice to our enemies, could He also bring justice down on us as well? It's when it gets to us that we suddenly talk about mercy. We want justice for our enemies and mercy for ourselves. Rarely, if ever, do we ask for the reverse.

By contrast, we could say Paul did this. In Romans 9, Paul tells us that he would be cut off for the sake of his brethren, those Jews that often did try to kill him. Paul could ask God to save them even if it would mean that He would be cut off from God. Paul surely knew what it meant to ask for mercy for one's enemies and justice for one's self.*

Perhaps the greatest danger with the problem of evil is that it really gets us more withdrawn into ourselves and more self-focused. What needs to be done is to take a step back and see what can happen. Again, there might be many times when we won't know of such good until years down the line. It could be that for some cases we won't even know until eternity.

If we're Christians, we have a biblical promise in Romans 8. All things will work together for good to those that love the Lord. Of course, it doesn't say all things are good. They're certainly not. It says all things will work for good. This is why I encourage Christians to not see your identity in Romans 7. See it instead in Romans 8.*

For the atheist who wishes to use evil, the burden is on them. Suppose I do not know what good will come out of evil X. All you've proven is that I don't know everything about the future, and I would have happily conceded that. What has to be shown is that you know that no good will come out of X. That's quite a claim to make and good luck showing it.*

Not only that, evil itself doesn't give a counterexplanation for the theistic arguments for God or the historical arguments for the resurrection. I tend to find evil as an argument powerful for people who are emotional thinkers. Many times, I consider it an excuse for some to get out of a faith that they are wanting to abandon. Sadly, atheism isn't much of an answer. Not only do you still have the problem, but you've also killed the hope of the greatest solution to that problem as well.*

I am fine with some unknowns and all of us have them. I have no wish to base my worldview on them. My own wife found that out of one of the greatest times of evil came one of the greatest goods for her. What will come out of evil in your life today?

In Christ,
    Nick Peters

Because my father had a stroke:

1. He became a Christian and stopped being an alcoholic.
    2. I became a Christian as well as my brother, his family and several of my dad's old drinking buddies.

Comment

Isn't the Crucifixion the ultimat case of good coming from evil? Jesus did not deserve such a shameful death, but underwent it anyway for our sake.
      If it weren't for the Resurrection of Jesus, we'd all be in DEEP TROUBLE!

Comment