Announcement

Collapse

Civics 101 Guidelines

Want to argue about politics? Healthcare reform? Taxes? Governments? You've come to the right place!

Try to keep it civil though. The rules still apply here.
See more
See less

Model Immigrants - My Nigerians

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Model Immigrants - My Nigerians

Note - plesae be CIVIL.... if this turns into an ugly debate, I'll ask to have it moved to a non-debate area. (let's please set aside the illegal alien issue for a time)

Many of us are quite pleased to have people immigrate to this country the legal way.

I have a number of Nigerian families in my Church who did just that. One of them had her 60th birthday party last Saturday, and in their culture, it's a BIG DEAL. They rented a hall, hired a band, catered a meal, and got all decked out in their cultural finest. (Apparently, they spread the word what the special dress is for the evening, and everybody dresses the same to indicate "we are family")

One thing puzzled me a little - as those of us who are NOT Nigerian entered, we were ushered to a bank of tables separate from everybody else. I joked to the other non-blacks at my table that "We're being segregated".

As the evening progressed, there came a time when the Master of Ceremonies - yes, there was one of those - took some time to bow toward us as he explained how very grateful they were to be citizens of the United States, and for our "bothers and sisters who have welcomed us and made us feel at home". It was quite touching, because a number of them gave testimony to the fact that they left their country with one suitcase, one carry-on, and a seat on an airplane in search of the American Dream. Nearly the entire service was in English, and they explained, "we do this because we are AMERICANS". They never said anything about "African-American" - they were proud to be citizens of our great land. The only time they did something NOT in English was when a pastor was called upon to pray a blessing on "the celebrant". He very humbly turned toward us and asked, "would you allow me to pray for the celebrant in my native tongue?" It was beautiful, and kind of a "prayer and response" type prayer throughout.

In fact, all but a few of them were citizens, and those who were not were studying hard for their citizenship test. As I met some of them for the first time, they were doctors and lawyers and nurses and architects and professional people, and appeared to be people of means. They explained, "we come to America for the American Dream for us - and every day we want to make America better".

To me, they epitomize the ideal immigrant --- very proud of their culture, and not forgetting it in the least, but cognizant of the fact that they have taken on a new life in a new land. These are, without exception, some of the most polite and gracious people I have ever encountered. Their children are amazingly well behaved and respectful of elders.

To me, this is how I understand many people "back in the day" immigrated to our country - to pursue the America Dream and 'be Americans', not abandoning their own culture, but embracing ours.

group cropped.jpg cake cropped.jpg band cropped.jpg
    The first to state his case seems right until another comes and cross-examines him.

One of my mom's proudest days was when she became a US Citizen.

Mom - Citizen.jpg

Comment

Originally posted by Sparko View Post

[ATTACH=CONFIG]39184[/ATTACH]
      On several occasions, while touring State Capitals, Mrs CP and I have stumbled upon Naturalization Ceremonies in progress. We always stay for the whole thing, and congratulate the new Citizens.
      The first to state his case seems right until another comes and cross-examines him.

Comment

[ATTACH=CONFIG]39184[/ATTACH]
        Does (did) she retain her (German?) culture? I think that's one of the things that impresses me about the Nigerians. Occasionally, Sam (the "father" or leader of this particular group) will come to Church fully decked out in his Nigerian outfit. In fact, maybe having to do with holidays or special events "back home", all of the Nigerians will show up in their native dress.

But they are always ready to proclaim their joy at being Americans. Also, as I thought about it, most of the Nigerians I know are in the medical field, usually starting out as nurse's aids in nursing homes or something - a menial position - and working their way up to nurse or doctor or something else. The lady who was celebrating her 60th birthday has been a nurse for many years, and trains other nurses.

Comment

Going by the title, I thought this was a Smollett reference.

I DENOUNCE DONALD J. TRUMP AND ALL HIS IMMORAL ACTS.

Comment

Originally posted by Cow Poke View Post
            Does (did) she retain her (German?) culture? I think that's one of the things that impresses me about the Nigerians. Occasionally, Sam (the "father" or leader of this particular group) will come to Church fully decked out in his Nigerian outfit. In fact, maybe having to do with holidays or special events "back home", all of the Nigerians will show up in their native dress.

But they are always ready to proclaim their joy at being Americans. Also, as I thought about it, most of the Nigerians I know are in the medical field, usually starting out as nurse's aids in nursing homes or something - a menial position - and working their way up to nurse or doctor or something else. The lady who was celebrating her 60th birthday has been a nurse for many years, and trains other nurses.
            Sure, she would always cook German food for us, and we would travel back to Germany often to visit family. My mom has passed now, but my brother and me still go back to visit our half-sister in Germany and her family.

Other than food, though, German culture is not that different than ours. I mean she didn't dress up in traditional Bavarian garb or anything. She did have a few German friends and they would chatter away in German all the time.

My dad was in the Army (that's where he met my mom) so I and my brothers were born in Germany and spent several years over there growing up during his German tours.

Comment

It is funny, my Grandmother (immigrated in 1899) wouldn't even allow Italian spoken in the house - we were American - period. Which was sad, I wished I learned Italian, well I did lean to swear in Italian from the streets.
              Atheism is the cult of death, the death of hope. The universe is doomed, you are doomed, the only thing that remains is to await your execution...

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Jbnueb2OI4o&t=3s

Comment

Originally posted by seer View Post
                It is funny, my Grandmother (immigrated in 1899) wouldn't even allow Italian spoken in the house - we were American - period. Which was sad, I wished I learned Italian, well I did lean to swear in Italian from the streets.
                Yeah, it can go too far, I think. I love the idea of "keeping my culture" but "becoming American". Doesn't have to be an either/or, but I had some German neighbors like that once. My best friend regrets that he never learned German, because it wasn't allowed to be spoken in the house --- same thing "We're AMERICANS!"

Comment

Sure, she would always cook German food for us, and we would travel back to Germany often to visit family. My mom has passed now, but my brother and me still go back to visit our half-sister in Germany and her family.

Other than food, though, German culture is not that different than ours. I mean she didn't dress up in traditional Bavarian garb or anything. She did have a few German friends and they would chatter away in German all the time.

My dad was in the Army (that's where he met my mom) so I and my brothers were born in Germany and spent several years over there growing up during his German tours.
                  Yeah, you had shared a lot of that, and YES on the German food! My neighbors (mentioned in prior post) used to LOVE to put on the "Hey, come over and eat some authentic GERMAN food!"

Comment

Yeah, it can go too far, I think. I love the idea of "keeping my culture" but "becoming American". Doesn't have to be an either/or, but I had some German neighbors like that once. My best friend regrets that he never learned German, because it wasn't allowed to be spoken in the house --- same thing "We're AMERICANS!"
                    Thankfully my grandmother remembered all the recipes from the old country...
                    Atheism is the cult of death, the death of hope. The universe is doomed, you are doomed, the only thing that remains is to await your execution...

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Jbnueb2OI4o&t=3s

Comment

The lady in this picture, third from the right, is the "celebrant". She's 60 years old, is an amazing woman, and teaches nursing while serving as a nurse. Often, at least around here, that's usually an "either / or".

cake cropped.jpg

Then gentleman to her right is her husband, Sam, who is a deacon in our Church.

Comment

Do they know that Prince guy who keeps trying to send me his money?

Comment

Do they know that Prince guy who keeps trying to send me his money?
                          They proudly point out that that comes from a different region of Nigeria -- three main regions, very different.

Comment

Originally posted by seer View Post
                            My grandmother's parents (independently immigrated around 1910 from Germany - my great-grandfather was 13 when he came by himself) were the same way. She learned German in college.

Of course, the first of my ancestors came over from Merry Olde England in 1635.
                            Last edited by One Bad Pig; 08-21-2019, 03:39 PM.
                            Enter the Church and wash away your sins. For here there is a hospital and not a court of law. Do not be ashamed to enter the Church; be ashamed when you sin, but not when you repent. – St. John Chrysostom

Veritas vos Liberabit<>< Learn Greek <>< Look here for an Orthodox Church in America<><Ancient Faith Radio
                            sigpic
                            I recommend you do not try too hard and ...research as little as possible. Such weighty things give me a headache. - Shunyadragon, Baha'i apologist

Comment

On several occasions, while touring State Capitals, Mrs CP and I have stumbled upon Naturalization Ceremonies in progress. We always stay for the whole thing, and congratulate the new Citizens.
                              RG has just started the process.
                              Curiosity never hurt anyone. It was stupidity that killed the cat.

Comment