Announcement

Collapse

Civics 101 Guidelines

Want to argue about politics? Healthcare reform? Taxes? Governments? You've come to the right place!

Try to keep it civil though. The rules still apply here.
See more
See less

Floyd Tested Positive for Covid

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Floyd Tested Positive for Covid

Not that it makes any difference. He also had meth in his system.

Medical Examiner's Autopsy Reveals George Floyd Had Positive Test For Coronavirus
    A full autopsy report on George Floyd, the man who died after being restrained by Minneapolis police last month, reveals that he was positive for SARS-CoV-2, the virus that causes COVID-19. The 20-page report also indicates that Floyd had fentanyl and methamphetamine in his system at the time of his death, although the drugs are not listed as the cause.

The report released Wednesday by the Hennepin County Medical Examiner's Office is dated May 25, the same day Floyd died. In video taken by bystanders, Floyd, 46, is shown repeatedly pleading that he cannot breathe as he is held face down with a knee on his neck by former Minneapolis Police officer Derek Chauvin, as other officers stand by. The incident has sparked nationwide — and even worldwide — protests.

Floyd's death has been ruled a homicide.

The autopsy report concludes the cause of death was "cardiopulmonary arrest complicating law enforcement subdual, restraint, and neck compression." That conclusion, death due to heart failure, differs from the one reached by an independent examiner hired by the Floyd family, which listed the cause of death as "asphyxiation from sustained pressure."
    https://www.npr.org/2020/06/04/86927...or-coronavirus

Originally posted by Ronson View Post
    Not that it makes any difference. He also had meth in his system.

https://www.npr.org/2020/06/04/86927...or-coronavirus
    As much as I don't want to distract from the apparent murder, the substances in Floyd's system at the time of his death are a valid part of the picture. However, I wonder how often active-patrol-duty officers are tested for drugs.

I hope Cowpoke can chime in, but in the death of a suspect, would the cops who were involved be screened? Or are they screened on some regular schedule?
    Last edited by Whateverman; 06-04-2020, 08:24 AM.

Comment

Originally posted by Whateverman View Post
      As much as I don't want to distract from the apparent murder, the substances in Floyd's system at the time of his death are a valid part of the picture. However, I wonder how often active-patrol-duty officers are tested for drugs.

I hope Cowpoke can chime in, but in the death of a suspect, would the cops who were involved be screened? Or are they screened on some regular schedule?
      I know there are companies out there that do random drug tests. I never thought about police departments doing it though it makes sense. Unlike the general population, officers have more opportunity to come in contact with illicit drugs.

Whether or not there was meth in Floyd's system is probably moot. Cops deal with meth users all the time. But for the trial, and for testing positive for covid, I can see Chauvin's attorney arguing that covid caused Floyd's death and not Chauvin.

Comment

Let's say that Floyd died from a combination of the neck kneeling, Covid infection and the drugs in his system (something which I think some people won't even grant as a possibility to be considered), I think that even then those police officers** clearly failed in their duty of care to a suspect in custody. Disgusting and tragic.

**originally I wrote 'the police', but then I realised that I was unintentionally blaming a large and very diverse organisation for the misdeeds of a few. Interesting...
        ...>>> Witty remark or snarky quote of another poster goes here <<<...

Comment

Originally posted by MaxVel View Post
          Let's say that Floyd died from a combination of the neck kneeling, Covid infection and the drugs in his system (something which I think some people won't even grant as a possibility to be considered), I think that even then those police officers** clearly failed in their duty of care to a suspect in custody. Disgusting and tragic.

**originally I wrote 'the police', but then I realised that I was unintentionally blaming a large and very diverse organisation for the misdeeds of a few. Interesting...
          The covid and drugs shouldn't really matter, IMO. Floyd told them he couldn't breathe and he wasn't cared for. That's what it will ultimately boil down to.

Comment

The question of proximate vs ultimate cause is thorny, and it spans discussions far beyond this one.

Humans tend to think in terms of there being a single cause for a single effect, but any weatherman will tell you that this is often false.

Comment

I can't really speak for other departments, but I think it's pretty standard to have the officer tested when it's an officer-involved shoooting, but don't really know about a wrongful death situation.... I've been out of the loop for quite a while as far as the procedural stuff.

I CAN say that drugs in the subjects system can --- I remember the guy we had a complaint on, that he was arguing with a gas station owner, and when I pulled up, he literally (and I mean that in its true sense) ran to the front of my patrol unit, reached down and grabbed the bumper, and lifted the front end of the patrol vehicle almost off the ground. I've also seen a guy come running at us with an axe, and after being hit 5 times in the chest, was still swinging the axe with blood spurting everywhere.

But here's the problem, and I fully expect to get major blowback from our extreme left fringe liberals.

I talk about the agenda, and I see it playing out here...

Mean vicious cop kills poor innocent saintly black person for no reason whatsoever.
              Portray the victim as totally blameless. There is actually a painting on the side of the Breakfast Club in Houston with George Floyd having angel wings and a halo.
              Portray the cop as ruthless and race motivated. (not so difficult in this particular case)

When it becomes evident that the victim was not quite as saintly as first portrayed, then anybody bringing up any other factors that MAY have contributed is "defending the cop" or "blaming the victim".

You have seen that narrative played out here in real time.
              The first to state his case seems right until another comes and cross-examines him.

Comment

I know there are companies out there that do random drug tests. I never thought about police departments doing it though it makes sense. Unlike the general population, officers have more opportunity to come in contact with illicit drugs.
                The department with which I am associated does an initial drug screen prior to hire, then an annual unscheduled, along with "pop tests" allowed when it appears there's a problem.

Whether or not there was meth in Floyd's system is probably moot. Cops deal with meth users all the time. But for the trial, and for testing positive for covid, I can see Chauvin's attorney arguing that covid caused Floyd's death and not Chauvin.
                In subsequent videos, when I saw the look in Floyd's eyes, and the expression on his face, I became a little concerned. I've seen that before.

THAT IN NO WAY EXCUSES WHAT HAPPENED, but ALL FACTS should be weighed in any case like this.
                The first to state his case seems right until another comes and cross-examines him.

Comment

I have actually tried to "devil's advocate" this case, and I can't, in my wildest imagination, come up with any justification for what Chauvin did. I almost have to believe there was bad blood between Chauvin and Floyd from their common job, but we don't know that.

Comment

The covid and drugs shouldn't really matter, IMO. Floyd told them he couldn't breathe and he wasn't cared for. That's what it will ultimately boil down to.
                    REGARDLESS of the circumstances, once he's down and in cuffs, the battle is over.

IF they had let him, and Floyd started fighting again, the optics would be WAY different, and I'd have to reconsider. The battle was over, Floyd had surrendered, and he clearly died at the hands (or knee) of the police.

Comment

The question is whether or not he would have died without the underlying issues like drugs in his system and the China flu.
                      Some may call me foolish, and some may call me odd
                      But I'd rather be a fool in the eyes of man
                      Than a fool in the eyes of God

From "Fools Gold" by Petra

Comment

Originally posted by Cow Poke View Post
                        You have seen that narrative played out here in real time.
                        Sure, no argument from me.

In my opinion, there's almost always blame to be apportioned to both sides of an unjustified police shooting. The victim almost always did something to either provoke the officer, or somehow contributed to an escalation of tensions which led to the shooting.

And of course, the people who support the officer (or the police in general) see criticism of the officer as unfair, and react to it accordingly (even if it's fair). The people who support the victim (or victims of officer shootings in general) see praise-of / support-for the officer as an attempt to excuse that officer from the shooting, and react accordingly.

In all cases, the people react to things they think the other person is saying - rather than what was actually said.

This is why narratives like this exist. They're attempts to head off excusing the officer/victim from responsibility for the shooting. Yes, if the shooting is unjustified by definition, then the officer bears the responsibility for it, by definition. Nonetheless, victims can contribute to the situation in ways which result in them being shot.

I don't know that Floyd did that; I'm merely speaking in the abstract. Narratives like this ("innocent victim", "officer performing a very difficult job", etc) are a product of what one side thinks the other will say.

ps. thanks for answering my previous question

Comment

Originally posted by Mountain Man View Post
                          The question is whether or not he would have died without the underlying issues like drugs in his system and the China flu.
                          I don't see that as relevant any more than if someone argued that, after killing a 95 year old person, that their age and medical condition should be mitigating factors.

I'm always still in trouble again

"You're by far the worst poster on TWeb" and "TWeb's biggest liar" --starlight (the guy who says Stalin was a right-winger)
                          "Overall I would rate the withdrawal from Afghanistan as by far the best thing Biden's done" --Starlight
                          "Of course, human life begins at fertilization that’s not the argument." --Tassman

Comment

Sure, no argument from me.

In my opinion, there's almost always blame to be apportioned to both sides of an unjustified police shooting. The victim almost always did something to either provoke the officer, or somehow contributed to an escalation of tensions which led to the shooting.

And of course, the people who support the officer (or the police in general) see criticism of the officer as unfair, and react to it accordingly (even if it's fair). The people who support the victim (or victims of officer shootings in general) see praise-of / support-for the officer as an attempt to excuse that officer from the shooting, and react accordingly.

In all cases, the people react to things they think the other person is saying - rather than what was actually said.

This is why narratives like this exist. They're attempts to head off excusing the officer/victim from responsibility for the shooting. Yes, if the shooting is unjustified by definition, then the officer bears the responsibility for it, by definition. Nonetheless, victims can contribute to the situation in ways which result in them being shot.

I don't know that Floyd did that; I'm merely speaking in the abstract. Narratives like this ("innocent victim", "officer performing a very difficult job", etc) are a product of what one side thinks the other will say.
                            And the truth is that, in this case, even IF Floyd was a bad dude - there is no justification for his death, so no need to bestow sainthood upon him.

ps. thanks for answering my previous question
                            Thanks for asking.

Comment

Originally posted by rogue06 View Post
                              I don't see that as relevant any more than if someone argued that, after killing a 95 year old person, that their age and medical condition should be mitigating factors.
                              The things is, if Floyd hadn't died then nobody would think twice about the method the officer used to restrain him. So I think whether or not a healthy person would have survived that same treatment is relevant. Not to say that the officer's actions were justified, but it makes the difference between a department reprimand and a murder indictment.
                              Some may call me foolish, and some may call me odd
                              But I'd rather be a fool in the eyes of man
                              Than a fool in the eyes of God

From "Fools Gold" by Petra

Comment