Announcement

Collapse

Deeper Waters Forum Guidelines

Notice – The ministries featured in this section of TheologyWeb are guests of this site and in some cases not bargaining for the rough and tumble world of debate forums, though sometimes they are. Additionally, this area is frequented and highlighted for guests who also very often are not acclimated to debate fora. As such, the rules of conduct here will be more strict than in the general forum. This will be something within the discretion of the Moderators and the Ministry Representative, but we simply ask that you conduct yourselves in a manner considerate of the fact that these ministries are our invited guests. You can always feel free to start a related thread in general forum without such extra restrictions. Thank you.

Deeper Waters is founded on the belief that the Christian community has long been in the shallow end of Christianity while there are treasures of the deep waiting to be discovered. Too many in the shallow end are not prepared when they go out beyond those waters and are quickly devoured by sharks. We wish to aid Christians to equip them to navigate the deeper waters of the ocean of truth and come up with treasure in the end.

We also wish to give special aid to those often neglected, that is, the disabled community. This is especially so since our founders are both on the autism spectrum and have a special desire to reach those on that spectrum. While they are a special emphasis, we seek to help others with any disability realize that God can use them and that they are as the Psalmist says, fearfully and wonderfully made.

General TheologyWeb forum rules: here.
See more
See less

The Importance of Gratitude

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• The Importance of Gratitude

Give thanks!

Link

-----

Does it make a difference if you’re appreciative? Let’s plunge into the Deeper Waters and find out.

Yesterday, my pastor preached a sermon on faithfulness and thankfulness from Colossians. The pastor isn’t one of those guys who gives these lightweight sermons that’s all pure application. Nope. It all comes out of a deep theology and I greatly respect that.

My wife also struggles with depression due to Borderline Personality Disorder and when we meet with people to talk about this topic, one of the things that most often comes up is the importance of gratitude. Try to go to bed with gratitude at the end of every day. If anything, just give thanks that the day is finally over.

Thankfulness is extremely important. In Romans 1, we are even told that one of the reasons that the wrath of God comes on man is that they did not acknowledge God nor give thanks to Him. The danger with thankfulness not being present is it makes us take things for granted. That includes even the greatest blessings of our lives.

Last night as I was going to sleep, I started thinking about this whole idea again. I have plenty of friends I know who are single and it is not because they want to be. I understand the pain very well. Until Allie came into my life, I had the same situation. You go to bed every night and you want someone to be next to you. As a guy, part of that is naturally wanting to be able to have sex, but also just being able to share your life with a woman you love and who loves you.

If I cease to give thanks for her and the life we share together, am I not on the path of taking her for granted? I treat her as if she’s just obviously there, but she isn’t. God doesn’t owe me another minute with her. Should I not celebrate what I do have?

Of course, every marriage will have problems and struggles in it. That’s just going to happen when you have two sinful people living together and sharing their lives intimately, but all of those are worth it to get to spend the time with the love of my life. If I take her for granted, I will also be prone to mistreat her and let the relationship deteriorate.

Also, next month, my wife and I will be celebrating nine years together. This is something incredible to me. Allie has been in my life for about a quarter of it. For her, I have been in her life for about a third of it. (I am nearly ten years older than she is.) How can I not give thanks?

Sometimes skeptics raise the question about why God takes lives in the Old Testament. I always start this by asking the same question. What does God owe us? If we could say He owes us anything, it’s justice. Here we receive mercy, which is something we don’t deserve, and we complain about it instead.

Many of you know that my wife and I don’t have a lot of money now. Donations don’t come easy when you’re not officially a 501c3 on your own and even then, it’s still hard. It doesn’t mean I don’t give thanks. Everyday is an adventure in its own way. We have had super generous friends who have donated so much to us and we are extremely thankful.

Two cases come to mind. At men’s group at our church last year, we talked about coveting and I expressed how Allie had really wanted a Nintendo Switch but her folks said it was too expensive. I said it was hard when I knew my wife really wanted something and couldn’t provide it.

A couple of weeks later someone from the group spoke to my wife about that conversation. He ended up buying us a Switch.

My wife and I also like the Pokemon games. I made a post about a month ago about how I would be saving up Amazon credit so I could get them both of us. A friend told us not to worry. When they came out, he would buy them for us.

These are two blessings that come to mind. People don’t have to be generous, but they are, and I have told Allie that if we ever get to the point of prosperity on our own, I plan to be generous. One of the greatest kindnesses you can do is go to your neighbor and help give them something they need or want. I can easily say I have not forgotten these blessings and they give me hope whenever I think about them that our situation can change.

And you know what? When I find myself giving thanks like this, I find my mood does improve. I really do appreciate things and see so much more what blessings I have in my life. It leaves me in greater appreciation to the God who gives so much to me.

Strange thing, isn’t it? Paul is right. Giving thanks to God is extremely important. Perhaps we could all be improved by giving thanks.

In Christ,
    Nick Peters

"Pure application" can be intellectually "lightweight" but very challenging at the same time. I mean, your whole post here is pure application. It's easy to give thanks when things are going well, but rather more difficult when things aren't going so well.
    Enter the Church and wash away your sins. For here there is a hospital and not a court of law. Do not be ashamed to enter the Church; be ashamed when you sin, but not when you repent. – St. John Chrysostom

Veritas vos Liberabit<>< Learn Greek <>< Look here for an Orthodox Church in America<><Ancient Faith Radio
    sigpic
    I recommend you do not try too hard and ...research as little as possible. Such weighty things give me a headache. - Shunyadragon, Baha'i apologist

Comment

Gratitude takes time to develop. I have found it developed when I though I would lose things and people who were close to me.
      sigpic

Comment

Originally posted by One Bad Pig View Post
        "Pure application" can be intellectually "lightweight" but very challenging at the same time. I mean, your whole post here is pure application. It's easy to give thanks when things are going well, but rather more difficult when things aren't going so well.
        In everything give thanks, for this is the will of God...

(and Corrie ten Boom comes to mind, thanking the Lord for the fleas...)
        The first to state his case seems right until another comes and cross-examines him.

Comment

Originally posted by One Bad Pig View Post
          Sure, but that's when it's most important. What I mean by pure application alone is go to many churches today and the whole point of the Bible is all about how you are to be a good person and all of that. God is brought in on occasion if need be.

Comment

It's kinda funny this would come up to day.

Since my daughter is still recovering, I've been helping out with her kids - I pay the cell phone bill for them (on my family plan).

Her kids have always been so appreciative of everything, ALWAYS saying thank you, and sending me nice "I love you" crap.

But her youngest - 13 year old spongebob - doesn't seem to get it. I paid for him to take a trip with his school club to Pennsylvania. They got stuck in a layover in Charlotte Airport, and he texted me to ask if I could put some money on his bluebird card for lunch. I did - never heard a thank you. I asked him to text me when he landed in Pennsylvania - never heard a word. I text him to let me know when they got back to Houston - nothing.

So, I texted him this morning, and told him I was shutting off his phone 4 hours (I can do it with the flip of a digital switch) because he doesn't seem to be able to communicate with any of us unless he needs something. I explained that the reason he has the phone is so we can communicate with him, not so he can play games and "ask for stuff".

My wife explains it as "well, he's a boy". His sisters BOTH are SO thankful and appreciative of everything.

And this....

Originally posted by Apologiaphoenix View Post
            Sure, but that's when it's most important. What I mean by pure application alone is go to many churches today and the whole point of the Bible is all about how you are to be a good person and all of that. God is brought in on occasion if need be.
            Spongebob treats me like I sometimes treat God.
            The first to state his case seems right until another comes and cross-examines him.

Comment

Originally posted by Cow Poke View Post
              It's kinda funny this would come up to day.

Since my daughter is still recovering, I've been helping out with her kids - I pay the cell phone bill for them (on my family plan).

Her kids have always been so appreciative of everything, ALWAYS saying thank you, and sending me nice "I love you" crap.

But her youngest - 13 year old spongebob - doesn't seem to get it. I paid for him to take a trip with his school club to Pennsylvania. They got stuck in a layover in Charlotte Airport, and he texted me to ask if I could put some money on his bluebird card for lunch. I did - never heard a thank you. I asked him to text me when he landed in Pennsylvania - never heard a word. I text him to let me know when they got back to Houston - nothing.

So, I texted him this morning, and told him I was shutting off his phone 4 hours (I can do it with the flip of a digital switch) because he doesn't seem to be able to communicate with any of us unless he needs something. I explained that the reason he has the phone is so we can communicate with him, not so he can play games and "ask for stuff".

My wife explains it as "well, he's a boy". His sisters BOTH are SO thankful and appreciative of everything.

And this....

Spongebob treats me like I sometimes treat God.
              So how are you going to treat Spongebob?

Comment

So how are you going to treat Spongebob?
                After I got his attention, I dished out some Grace.

Comment

That's how you're treated isn't it?

Comment

That's how you're treated isn't it?
                    More Grace than I ever deserve.

(I guess that's what makes it "Grace", eh?)

Comment

If you ever deserved any of it, it wouldn't be grace would it?

Comment

Oh. That's not what I get out of "pure application" at all.
                        Enter the Church and wash away your sins. For here there is a hospital and not a court of law. Do not be ashamed to enter the Church; be ashamed when you sin, but not when you repent. – St. John Chrysostom

Veritas vos Liberabit<>< Learn Greek <>< Look here for an Orthodox Church in America<><Ancient Faith Radio
                        sigpic
                        I recommend you do not try too hard and ...research as little as possible. Such weighty things give me a headache. - Shunyadragon, Baha'i apologist

Comment

What do you have in mind?

Comment

What do you have in mind?
                            Pure application would be a focus on how we can apply the particular passage at hand to living our life in Christ. The setting of a passage and what happens and how it fits in history is good from an intellectual standpoint, but on a practical level, unpacking just want it means to, e.g., "take up your cross and follow Me" complete with illustrative examples is much more pertinent to the average believer on a daily basis. We are not put on this earth to become master exegetes; we are here to work out our own salvation with fear and trembling, learning to love the Lord our God with all our heart, mind, soul, and strength, and our neighbor as ourselves.

sigpic

Comment

For me, pure application is taking a passage and ignoring the historical and theological and social context and learning nothing about that and jumping straight to "What does it tell me about me today?"

Comment