Announcement

Collapse

Home Economics 101

Welcome to the Home Ec Section. Matters of the family sometimes bring joy and other times bring grief. But it is never trivial: Family matters! Feel free to discuss topics such as the sanctity of marriage; the awesome responsibility of raising children; the struggles of communication problems; the grief of losing a loved one; or anything else that relates to the home and family. However, due to the more personal nature of this section, I ask that you would be especially thoughtful of the readers' feelings. My earnest hope and prayer is that the discussions in this section will help families grow in the love of Christ.

But remember, always play by the rules: here
See more
See less

Income tips?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Income tips?

I'm wondering if anyone has any suggestions for little things to do to earn or save a little extra money. My expectations here are reasonable, so don't think that I'm hoping to make a fortune on the side or anything.

Some things we already do:

1. I have a full-time job, for one thing, so anything I find would have to work around that.
    2. My wife coupons, and she does it very well. She probably spends less on groceries per capita than anyone I know (and probably anyone you know, too).
    3. She also works in the church nursery, in a leadership position. It's a low-hours part-time job.
    4. I donate plasma. This isn't a big deal, and it's not exactly reliable income. If I get sick, for example, I can't donate, and I take a break from it every once in a while anyway.
    5. As for general money-saving: we virtually never eat out, we don't get TV, we don't buy much in general, I have no qualms with going to Goodwill for clothes, and until a couple months ago I was still wearing a pair of pants that I got for free in college, like 8 years ago. So we're not big spenders.

Does anyone have any suggestions?
    I DENOUNCE DONALD J. TRUMP AND ALL HIS IMMORAL ACTS.

If you buy any meat with bones in it, don't throw the bones away. Always save them to make soups and stocks. You can essentially double the amount of meals you get out of one purchase by doing this.

Don't leave anything plugged into an electrical outlet unless you're using it. So don't just turn off lamps before you go to bed, actually go and unplug them from the socket. Do the same for computers, radios, and other electrical appliances.

I don't know what kind of you place you live in, or how conducive the Montana environment is for this, but...you could try getting some seeds and growing your own food in a backyard garden or something. If successful, you could then save the seeds from those and keep growing more foods.
    Learn to do right; seek justice. Defend the oppressed. Take up the cause of the fatherless; plead the case of the widow.--Isaiah 1:17

I don't think that all forms o[f] slavery are inherently immoral.--seer

Comment

Originally posted by fm93 View Post
      If you buy any meat with bones in it, don't throw the bones away. Always save them to make soups and stocks. You can essentially double the amount of meals you get out of one purchase by doing this.

Don't leave anything plugged into an electrical outlet unless you're using it. So don't just turn off lamps before you go to bed, actually go and unplug them from the socket. Do the same for computers, radios, and other electrical appliances.

I don't know what kind of you place you live in, or how conducive the Montana environment is for this, but...you could try getting some seeds and growing your own food in a backyard garden or something. If successful, you could then save the seeds from those and keep growing more foods.
      We're working on growing some tomatoes and peppers in our little garden in the back, now that we actually have our own place. We're hoping to can our own salsa with it, among other things.

Comment

Grow your own veggies in a backyard or even on a balcony in pots. I like to grow hot pepper, but I am thinking of expanding.
        Sell stuff on craigslist or ebay or on various craft sites. old stuff you don't use any more. Or even make stuff. My sister in law makes those corn filled heating pads. They cost about 15 cents to make and sells for like $5.

and have your wife check out an app called Ibotta (IOS and Android) - it pays cash for buying various food items, like coupons, but it actually pays you money, usually 25 -50 cents per item.

Comment

Originally posted by Sparko View Post
          Grow your own veggies in a backyard or even on a balcony in pots. I like to grow hot pepper, but I am thinking of expanding.
          Sell stuff on craigslist or ebay or on various craft sites. old stuff you don't use any more. Or even make stuff. My sister in law makes those corn filled heating pads. They cost about 15 cents to make and sells for like $5.

and have your wife check out an app called Ibotta (IOS and Android) - it pays cash for buying various food items, like coupons, but it actually pays you money, usually 25 -50 cents per item.
          Wouldn't those pop in the microwave?

Comment

How in the world does unplugging save any money?
            Watch your links! http://www.theologyweb.com/campus/fa...corumetiquette

Comment

Originally posted by DesertBerean View Post
              It uses less electricity that way. As long as there is a connection there is power flow. Some devices actually use more when off than on when plugged in from what I understand.

Comment

Originally posted by Cerebrum123 View Post
                It uses less electricity that way. As long as there is a connection there is power flow. Some devices actually use more when off than on when plugged in from what I understand.
                Yeah. I think it's really minimal, but it would save electricity.

Comment

Originally posted by DesertBerean View Post
                  A lot of devices nowadays (especially TV's and the like) when you turn them off, they're not really off, they're just on standby (which as brum says can use more power)
                  Be watchful, stand firm in the faith, act like men, be strong.
                  1 Corinthians 16:13

"...he [Doherty] is no historian and he is not even conversant with the historical discussions of the very matters he wants to pontificate on."
                  -Ben Witherington III

Comment

I've heard that small engine repair can be fairly lucrative. It's not uncommon for people to dispose of old mowers and the like that often just need a good cleaning. Buy them cheap, clean/repair them, and sell the refurbished engine on craigslist. It's not much of a time commitment, either.

There's a place here in town that refinishes old furniture and sells the finished product at pretty low cost. There can be a steady flow of that thanks to all the college kids wanting cheap furniture but not wanting to take it with them after graduation.
                    I'm not here anymore.

Comment

I've heard about a job you can get online, optimizing search engine results. Does anybody know anything about that?

Comment

Wouldn't those pop in the microwave?

Uses field corn (deer corn) not popcorn.

Although that would be a fun trick to play on someone. Hmmmm....

Comment

not really. Only if they have a transformer in them which is pretty rare nowadays. Some electronics still use power, such as your DVR, but that is because they are not really turned off, or they would not be able to keep the time, or make recordings. So it is better to leave electronics like that plugged in, and it really doesn't save any power on other things like lights, or motors, or fans, because they are actually disconnected from the power with a switch. I laugh at that commercial that says "The more you know" and the tip is unplug your devices to save electricity. Yeah it might save a few cents, but then your alarm clocks wont work, you laptops won't charge, your DVD wont record. And things like microwaves' clocks will be wrong, etc. So to save a penny you make sure everything becomes useless and inconvenient.

Comment

Originally posted by Zymologist View Post
                            I've heard about a job you can get online, optimizing search engine results. Does anybody know anything about that?
                            no. it would be a scam.

I used to actually do search engine optimizing as part of my web designing a while back. Basically you have to have access to the website source code to put in keywords and descriptions to help the search engines find the page. The other part would be to spam the website to various other locations (like the spammers do here at theologyweb) and other search engines to get the link count up. The more links to a website, the more popular it is so the search engines will rank it higher. At least that was until they caught onto that and know what are legitimate links and what are just spam links and will actually penalize your website if you do that and make you rank lower.

The spamming is what the optimization job would be. They will sell you a program that can spam a link to thousands of sites automatically and tell you that you can charge people for the service. It just turns you into a spammer and will end up hurting your customers.

Comment

That's rather cynical. There are plenty of ways to optimize search engine results besides spamming.
                              Learn to do right; seek justice. Defend the oppressed. Take up the cause of the fatherless; plead the case of the widow.--Isaiah 1:17

I don't think that all forms o[f] slavery are inherently immoral.--seer

Comment