Announcement

Collapse

Civics 101 Guidelines

Want to argue about politics? Healthcare reform? Taxes? Governments? You've come to the right place!

Try to keep it civil though. The rules still apply here.
See more
See less

Ballot "selfie" laws

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Ballot "selfie" laws

And someone some of you may know is planning on challenging:

http://www.coloradoindependent.com/1...speech-lawsuit
    The State. Ideas so good they have to be mandatory.

sigpic

Originally posted by Darth Xena View Post

Do you know this person?
    "Down in the lowlands, where the water is deep,
    Hear my cry, hear my shout,
    Save me, save me"

Comment

No she looks pretty shady.

sigpic

Comment

Good luck. If they beat you with a rubber hose, try not to let us down with screaming and crying.
        "Down in the lowlands, where the water is deep,
        Hear my cry, hear my shout,
        Save me, save me"

Comment

I was familiar with a federal judge overturning the law in Indiana (where it was a felony).

The only rationale I've heard for supporting it was that doing a video of yourself voting could be used in vote buying schemes (or by abusive spouses and employers who insist their spouses/employees must vote a certain way). Still, I don't think that is reason enough to prohibit it.

I'm always still in trouble again

"You're by far the worst poster on TWeb" and "TWeb's biggest liar" --starlight (the guy who says Stalin was a right-winger)
          "Overall I would rate the withdrawal from Afghanistan as by far the best thing Biden's done" --Starlight
          "Of course, human life begins at fertilization that’s not the argument." --Tassman

Comment

Indiana, it is still in the courts but there is an injunction. New Hampshire was overturned.

The vote buying thing has been rendered obsolete by technology and does not survive strict scrutiny. If I were a savvy vote seller, photoshop could allow me provide all the "proof" needed (we have advance mail in ballots in CO) and still vote for who I wanted.

sigpic

Comment

Indiana, it is still in the courts but there is an injunction. New Hampshire was overturned.

The vote buying thing has been rendered obsolete by technology and does not survive strict scrutiny. If I were a savvy vote seller, photoshop could allow me provide all the "proof" needed (we have advance mail in ballots in CO) and still vote for who I wanted.
              It would be a real time video that could be the problem.

"You're by far the worst poster on TWeb" and "TWeb's biggest liar" --starlight (the guy who says Stalin was a right-winger)
              "Overall I would rate the withdrawal from Afghanistan as by far the best thing Biden's done" --Starlight
              "Of course, human life begins at fertilization that’s not the argument." --Tassman

Comment

Still not a "problem" since the state cannot under strict scrutiny dragnet innocent content-based censorship without narrowly tailoring.

And CO has mail-in. I could do a video and then not mail it. A video is what I intend to do BTW but am not because I do not want to be charged, thus the request for TRO.

We have several potential plaintiffs now to my understanding.

sigpic

Comment

Still not a "problem" since the state cannot under strict scrutiny dragnet innocent content-based censorship without narrowly tailoring.

And CO has mail-in. I could do a video and then not mail it. A video is what I intend to do BTW but am not because I do not want to be charged, thus the request for TRO.

We have several potential plaintiffs now to my understanding.
                  A video of a mail in would be useless, but in the booth (which aren't even "booths" any more around here) I can still see an argument made although as I indicated I don't think it would still be strong enough to prohibit it.

Comment

Best of luck, I remembered to ballot selfie for the primary, but I dropped mine off yesterday and forgot to because of a storm. Washington is mail in, but I live near the counties permanent drop box so why waste a stamp, you know? Best of luck fighting this, it's a dumb law to keep around post mail in.

Comment

You could just not include the ballot in your video. It's not like that's a crucial piece that affects the message in any way whatsoever.

Oregon is mail in, too, but they have drop-off points that make it super easy. Oregon seems to handle voting really intelligently.
                      I'm not here anymore.

Comment

Originally posted by Carrikature View Post
                        You could just not include the ballot in your video. It's not like that's a crucial piece that affects the message in any way whatsoever.

Oregon is mail in, too, but they have drop-off points that make it super easy. Oregon seems to handle voting really intelligently.
                        Tina Podlowdowski, SoS Candidate up north wants to steal your guys AVR program and I think Brown wants to copy something of how ours work. I dont know if you know this dude, but our two states have the easiest voting in the country! It's great!

Comment

Originally posted by Jaecp View Post
                          Tina Podlowdowski, SoS Candidate up north wants to steal your guys AVR program and I think Brown wants to copy something of how ours work. I dont know if you know this dude, but our two states have the easiest voting in the country! It's great!
                          My favorite part is the voters' pamphlet.
                          I'm not here anymore.

Comment

Even if these photos did facilitate vote buying and selling (which there isn't evidence for) I would argue the value of political speech in taking such a photo still outweighs those considerations.
                            "I am not angered that the Moral Majority boys campaign against abortion. I am angry when the same men who say, "Save OUR children" bellow "Build more and bigger bombers." That's right! Blast the children in other nations into eternity, or limbless misery as they lay crippled from "OUR" bombers! This does not jell." - Leonard Ravenhill

Comment

Originally posted by rogue06 View Post
                              A video of a mail in would be useless, but in the booth (which aren't even "booths" any more around here)...
                              Yeah, ours are more like cardboard boxes open on one end.
                              The first to state his case seems right until another comes and cross-examines him.

Comment