Announcement

Collapse

Naturalism 101 Guidelines

NONTHEISTS and hard agnostics only.

This forum is strictly for discussions and debates between nontheists and hard agnostics only. The topic range is for nontheist "in house" issues much like Theology201/Ecclesiology201 is for "in house" Christian/theist issues.

This area is not to be used to unfairly substantively rebut/discuss/criticize specific other members who cannot respond or defend. It also is not be used as a platform to simply stack arguments against theism with the intent that they cannot be responded to here, but interactions between different nontheist viewpoints is highly encouraged. Arguments simply directed towards rebutting or disproving theism should be posted in Apologetics 301.

Additionally, gratuitous blasphemy or mocking of Christians will not be sanctioned in this area. If you wish to mock, please do it where the mocked can respond. Please respect that this is a Christian-owned forum and do not abuse this area.

Forum Rules: Here
See more
See less

"I don't know ... and you don't either."

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• "I don't know ... and you don't either."

The above is my usual illustrative phrase of "hard agnosticism." More formally, "If a deity exists, knowledge of said deity is impossible." (I will note that I rather doubt the existence of deity, but I am also persuaded that definitive knowledge that no such entity exists is beyond our capacity.)

What other naturalistic views do we have here on TWeb?

My conclusion thus far is that evidence for a deity is at best ambiguous. If there is one, I consider it functionally irrelevant. I don't agree that knowledge* of it is impossible, but I suspect it's not something that could ever be shared.

*Granting for the moment that knowledge is actually attainable, which I generally don't believe.
    I'm not here anymore.

Comment

Edited by a Moderator
      Moderated By: Sparko

Naturalism is for non-theists only.

***If you wish to take issue with this notice DO NOT do so in this thread.***
      Contact the forum moderator or an administrator in Private Message or email instead. If you feel you must publicly complain or whine, please take it to the Padded Room unless told otherwise.

Last edited by Sparko; 03-31-2016, 11:57 AM.
      Metacrock's Blog

The Religious a priori: apologetics for 21st ccentury

The Trace of God by Joseph Hinman

Comment

I'm not really sure if I'm allowed in here, but I think that while there's probably some sort of creator, said creator does not seem to interact much if at all with the Universe, so whoever created the Universe is not really worth worrying about much.
        Moderated By: Sparko

Sorry. This area is for NON-THEISTS only. Not deists.

***If you wish to take issue with this notice DO NOT do so in this thread.***
        Contact the forum moderator or an administrator in Private Message or email instead. If you feel you must publicly complain or whine, please take it to the Padded Room unless told otherwise.

Last edited by Sparko; 06-27-2016, 02:23 PM.
        Find my speling strange? I'm trying this out: Simplified Speling. Feel free to join me.

"Nature has placed mankind under the governance of two sovereign masters, pain and pleasure. It is for them alone to point out what we ought to do, as well as to determine what we shall do."-Jeremy Bentham

"We question all our beliefs, except for the ones that we really believe in, and those we never think to question."-Orson Scott Card

Comment

widgetinstance 221 (Related Threads) skipped due to lack of content & hide_module_if_empty option.
        Working...
        X