Announcement

Collapse

Biblical Languages 301 Guidelines

This is where we come to delve into the biblical text. Theology is not our foremost thought, but we realize it is something that will be dealt with in nearly every conversation. Feel free to use the original languages to make your point (meaning Greek, Hebrew, and Aramaic). This is an exegetical discussion area, so please limit topics to purely biblical ones.

This is not the section for debates between theists and atheists. While a theistic viewpoint is not required for discussion in this area, discussion does presuppose a respect for the integrity of the Biblical text (or the willingness to accept such a presupposition for discussion purposes) and a respect for the integrity of the faith of others and a lack of an agenda to undermine the faith of others.

Forum Rules: Here
See more
See less

John 13-17

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• John 17:3

Text: (NA27):
    αὕτη δέ ἐστιν ἡ αἰώνιος ζωὴ ἵνα γινώσκωσιν σὲ τὸν μόνον ἀληθινὸν θεὸν καὶ ὃν ἀπέστειλας Ἰησοῦν Χριστόν.

Transliteration (Accordance):
    hautē de estin hē aiōnios zōē hina ginōskōsin se ton monon alēthinon theon kai hon apesteilas Iēsoun Christon.

Translation (NRSV):
    And this is eternal life, that they may know you, the only true God, and Jesus Christ whom you have sent.

Analysis (Zerwick/BDAG):
    ἵνα : (namely) that, for epexegetical infinitive (explaining αὕτη).
    γινώσκωσιν : subjunctive of γινώσκω know, present implying a continuous process.
    ἀπέστειλας : aorist of ἀποστέλλω send.

Comment

• John 17:4

ἐγώ σε ἐδόξασα ἐπὶ τῆς γῆς τὸ ἔργον τελειώσας ὃ δέδωκάς μοι ἵνα ποιήσω

egō se edoxasa epi tēs gēs to ergon teleiōsas ho dedōkas moi hina poiēsō

Translation (NRSV):
      I glorified you on earth by finishing the work that you gave me to do.

Analysis (Zerwick/BDAG):
      ἐδόξασα : aorist of δοξάζω glorify.
      τελειώσας : aorist participle of τελειόω (< τέλος end, consummation) complete, participle causal, by having completed.
      ἵνα : for infinitive.
      ποιήσω : aorist subjunctive of ποιέω do.

Comment

• John 17:5

καὶ νῦν δόξασόν με σύ, πάτερ, παρὰ σεαυτῷ τῇ δόξῃ ᾗ εἶχον πρὸ τοῦ τὸν κόσμον εἶναι παρὰ σοί.

kai nyn doxason me sy, pater, para seautō̧ tȩ̄ doxȩ̄ ȩ̄h eichon pro tou ton kosmon einai para soi.

Translation (NRSV):
        So now, Father, glorify me in your own presence with the glory that I had in your presence before the world existed.

Analysis (Zerwick/BDAG):
        παρὰ σεαυτῷ : reflexive pronoun 2nd singular in your own presence.
        : for ἣ by attraction of the relative.
        εἶχον : imperfect of ἔχω have, own.
        πρὸ τοῦ : with accusative + infinitive before.
        παρὰ σοί : with you.

Comment

• John 17:6

Ἐφανέρωσά σου τὸ ὄνομα τοῖς ἀνθρώποις οὓς ἔδωκάς μοι ἐκ τοῦ κόσμου. σοὶ ἦσαν κἀμοὶ αὐτοὺς ἔδωκας καὶ τὸν λόγον σου τετήρηκαν.

Ephanerōsa sou to onoma tois anthrōpois hous edōkas moi ek tou kosmou. soi ēsan kamoi autous edōkas kai ton logon sou tetērēkan.

Translation (NRSV):
          I have made your name known to those whom you gave me from the world. They were yours, and you gave them to me, and they have kept your word.

Analysis (Zerwick/BDAG):
          ἐφανέρωσα : aorist of φανερόω make known, reveal.
          σου τὸ ὄνομα : your name, ὄνομα denotes God as revealed (here especially as "Father", verse 5.
          σός : yours (singular).
          ἦσαν : imperfect of εἰμί be.
          κἀμοί = καὶ ἐμοί.

Comment

• Text: (NA27):
            Ἐφανέρωσά σου τὸ ὄνομα τοῖς ἀνθρώποις οὓς ἔδωκάς μοι ἐκ τοῦ κόσμου. σοὶ ἦσαν κἀμοὶ αὐτοὺς ἔδωκας καὶ τὸν λόγον σου τετήρηκαν.

Ephanerōsa sou to onoma tois anthrōpois hous edōkas moi ek tou kosmou. soi ēsan kamoi autous edōkas kai ton logon sou tetērēkan.

Translation (NRSV):
            I have made your name known to those whom you gave me from the world. They were yours, and you gave them to me, and they have kept your word.

Analysis (Zerwick/BDAG):
            ἐφανέρωσα : aorist of φανερόω make known, reveal.
            σου τὸ ὄνομα : your name, ὄνομα denotes God as revealed (here especially as "Father", verse 5.
            σός : yours (singular).
            ἦσαν : imperfect of εἰμί be.
            κἀμοί = καὶ ἐμοί.
            τετήρηκαν : perfect of τηρέω keep.

Comment

• John 17:7

νῦν ἔγνωκαν ὅτι πάντα ὅσα δέδωκάς μοι παρὰ σοῦ εἰσιν

nyn egnōkan hoti panta hosa dedōkas moi para sou eisin

Translation (NRSV):
              Now they know that everything you have given me is from you

Analysis (Zerwick/BDAG):
              ἔγνωκαν : perfect of γινώσκω know.
              δέδωκας : perfect of δίδωμι give.
              παρὰ σοῦ : sc. (scilicet = "namely, one is to understand"), from you alone.

Comment

• John 17:8

ὅτι τὰ ῥήματα ἃ ἔδωκάς μοι δέδωκα αὐτοῖς, καὶ αὐτοὶ ἔλαβον καὶ ἔγνωσαν ἀληθῶς ὅτι παρὰ σοῦ ἐξῆλθον, καὶ ἐπίστευσαν ὅτι σύ με ἀπέστειλας.

hoti ta rhēmata ha edōkas moi dedōka autois, kai autoi elabon kai egnōsan alēthōs hoti para sou exēlthon, kai episteusan hoti sy me apesteilas.

Translation (NRSV):
                for the words that you gave to me I have given to them, and they have received them and know in truth that I came from you; and they have believed that you sent me.

Analysis (Zerwick/BDAG):
                ῥήμα : what is said, word.
                ἔλαβον : aorist of λαμβάνω receive.
                ἔγνωσαν : aorist of γινώσκω know.
                ἀληθῶς : truly, in (all) truth.
                ἐξῆλθον : came from.
                ἐπίστευσαν : aorist of πιστεύω believe.
                ἀπέστειλας : aorist of ἀποστέλλω send.

Comment

• John 17:9

Ἐγὼ περὶ αὐτῶν ἐρωτῶ, οὐ περὶ τοῦ κόσμου ἐρωτῶ ἀλλὰ περὶ ὧν δέδωκάς μοι, ὅτι σοί εἰσιν

Egō peri autōn erōtō, ou peri tou kosmou erōtō alla peri hōn dedōkas moi, hoti soi eisin,

Translation (NRSV):
                  I am asking on their behalf; I am not asking on behalf of the world, but on behalf of those whom you gave me, because they are yours.

Analysis (Zerwick/BDAG):
                  περί : for ὑπέρ in behalf of.
                  ἐρωτάω : ask, make a request.
                  περὶ ὧν = περὶ ἐκείνων οὕς by attraction of the relative.

Comment

• John 17:10

καὶ τὰ ἐμὰ πάντα σά ἐστιν καὶ τὰ σὰ ἐμά, καὶ δεδόξασμαι ἐν αὐτοῖς.

kai ta ema panta sa estin kai ta sa ema, kai dedoxasmai en autois.

Translation (NRSV):
                    All mine are yours, and yours are mine; and I have been glorified in them.

Analysis (Zerwick/BDAG):
                    δεδόξασμαι : perfect passive (of δοξάζω) I an glorified.

Comment

• John 17:11

καὶ οὐκέτι εἰμὶ ἐν τῷ κόσμῳ, καὶ αὐτοὶ ἐν τῷ κόσμῳ εἰσίν, κἀγὼ πρὸς σὲ ἔρχομαι. πάτερ ἅγιε, τήρησον αὐτοὺς ἐν τῷ ὀνόματί σου ᾧ δέδωκάς μοι, ἵνα ὦσιν ἓν καθὼς ἡμεῖς.

kai ouketi eimi en tō̧ kosmō̧, kai autoi en tō̧ kosmō̧ eisin, kagō pros se erchomai. pater hagie, tērēson autous en tō̧ onomati sou ō̧h dedōkas moi, hina ōsin hen kathōs hēmeis.

Translation (NRSV):
                      And now I am no longer in the world, but they are in the world, and I am coming to you. Holy Father, protect them in your name that you have given me, so that they may be one, as we are one.

Analysis (Zerwick/BDAG):
                      καί : (first time) best left untranslated.
                      οὐκέτι : no longer.
                      εἰμί ... εἰσίν : present referring to near future ; εἰμί I am to stay, εἰσίν they are to stay.
                      καί : (second time) but.
                      κἀγώ = καὶ εἰμί.
                      τήρησον : aorist imperative of τηρέω preserve, keep.
                      ὄνομα : name ; what has been given to the Son is not the name of "Father", but his ὄνομα, the whole revelation of God in Christ.
                      : for ὅ, relative attracted into the case of ὀνόματι.
                      ὦσιν : subjunctive of εἰμί be.
                      ἓν : neuter of εἷς, i.e. a unity (masculine would mean one person).

Comment

• John 17:12

ὅτε ἤμην μετ᾿ αὐτῶν ἐγὼ ἐτήρουν αὐτοὺς ἐν τῷ ὀνόματί σου ᾧ δέδωκάς μοι, καὶ ἐφύλαξα, καὶ οὐδεὶς ἐξ αὐτῶν ἀπώλετο εἰ μὴ ὁ υἱὸς τῆς ἀπωλείας, ἵνα ἡ γραφὴ πληρωθῇ.

hote ēmēn met’ autōn egō etēroun autous en tō̧ onomati sou ō̧h dedōkas moi, kai ephylaxa, kai oudeis ex autōn apōleto ei mē ho huios tēs apōleias, hina hē graphē plērōthȩ̄.

Translation (NRSV):
                        While I was with them, I protected them in your name that you have given me. I guarded them, and not one of them was lost except the one destined to be lost, so that the scripture might be fulfilled.

Analysis (Zerwick/BDAG):
                        ἤμην : imperfect of εἰμί be.
                        ἐτήρουν : imperfect of τηρέω keep watch over, protect.
                        ἐφύλαξα : aorist of φυλάσσω guard, keep safe.
                        ἀπώλετο : aorist middle of ἀπόλλυμι be lost.
                        εἰ μή : except.
                        υἱὸς τῆς ἀπωλείας : son of perdition, one destined to be lost ; υἱός τινος is a Semitism expressing any kind of intimate relation to a person or thing.
                        ἡ γραφή : Scripture.
                        πληρωθῇ : aorist passive subjunctive of πληρόω fulfill.

Comment

• John 17:13

νῦν δὲ πρὸς σὲ ἔρχομαι καὶ ταῦτα λαλῶ ἐν τῷ κόσμῳ ἵνα ἔχωσιν τὴν χαρὰν τὴν ἐμὴν πεπληρωμένην ἐν ἑαυτοῖς.

nyn de pros se erchomai kai tauta lalō en tō̧ kosmō̧ hina echōsin tēn charan tēn emēn peplērōmenēn en heautois.

Translation (NRSV):
                          But now I am coming to you, and I speak these things in the world so that they may have my joy made complete in themselves.

Analysis (Zerwick/BDAG):
                          ἔχωσιν : subjunctive of ἔχω have.
                          χαρά : joy.
                          πεπληρωμένην : full, complete, perfect passive participle of πληρόω.

Comment

• John 17:14

ἐγὼ δέδωκα αὐτοῖς τὸν λόγον σου καὶ ὁ κόσμος ἐμίσησεν αὐτούς, ὅτι οὐκ εἰσὶν ἐκ τοῦ κόσμου καθὼς ἐγὼ οὐκ εἰμὶ ἐκ τοῦ κόσμου.

egō dedōka autois ton logon sou kai ho kosmos emisēsen autous, hoti ouk eisin ek tou kosmou kathōs egō ouk eimi ek tou kosmou.

Translation (NRSV):
                            I have given them your word, and the world has hated them because they do not belong to the world, just as I do not belong to the world.

Analysis (Zerwick/BDAG):
                            τὸν λόγον σου : your word, technical term for the Christian message ; the disciples must remain faithful to "your name" (verse 12) because to them is entrusted the announcement of this revelation to the world.
                            ἐμίσησεν : aorist of μισέω hate.
                            οὐκ εἰσὶν ἐκ : they do not belong to.

Comment

• John 17:15

οὐκ ἐρωτῶ ἵνα ἄρῃς αὐτοὺς ἐκ τοῦ κόσμου, ἀλλ᾿ ἵνα τηρήσῃς αὐτοὺς ἐκ τοῦ πονηροῦ.

ouk erōtō hina arȩ̄s autous ek tou kosmou, all’ hina tērēsȩ̄s autous ek tou ponērou.

Translation (NRSV):
                              I am not asking you to take them out of the world, but I ask you to protect them from the evil one.

Analysis (Zerwick/BDAG):
                              ἐρωτάω : ask, make a request.
                              ἄρῃς : aorist subjunctive of αἱρέω take.
                              ἐκ : (first time) in usual sense out of.
                              τηρήσῃς : aorist subjunctive of τηρέω preserve, protect.
                              ἐκ : (second time) for ἀπό away from.
                              τοῦ πονηροῦ : genitive of either ὁ πονηρός the Evil One or τό πονηρόν evil.

Comment

• John 17:16

ἐκ τοῦ κόσμου οὐκ εἰσὶν καθὼς ἐγὼ οὐκ εἰμὶ ἐκ τοῦ κόσμου.

ἐκ τοῦ κόσμου οὐκ εἰσὶν καθὼς ἐγὼ οὐκ εἰμὶ ἐκ τοῦ κόσμου.

Translation (NRSV):
                                They do not belong to the world, just as I do not belong to the world.

Analysis (Zerwick/BDAG):
                                οὐκ εἰσὶν ἐκ : they do not belong to.

Comment

widgetinstance 221 (Related Threads) skipped due to lack of content & hide_module_if_empty option.
                                Working...
                                X