Announcement

Collapse

Biblical Languages 301 Guidelines

This is where we come to delve into the biblical text. Theology is not our foremost thought, but we realize it is something that will be dealt with in nearly every conversation. Feel free to use the original languages to make your point (meaning Greek, Hebrew, and Aramaic). This is an exegetical discussion area, so please limit topics to purely biblical ones.

This is not the section for debates between theists and atheists. While a theistic viewpoint is not required for discussion in this area, discussion does presuppose a respect for the integrity of the Biblical text (or the willingness to accept such a presupposition for discussion purposes) and a respect for the integrity of the faith of others and a lack of an agenda to undermine the faith of others.

Forum Rules: Here
See more
See less

John 13-17

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• John 16:21

Text: (NA27):
    ἡ γυνὴ ὅταν τίκτῃ λύπην ἔχει, ὅτι ἦλθεν ἡ ὥρα αὐτῆς· ὅταν δὲ γεννήσῃ τὸ παιδίον, οὐκέτι μνημονεύει τῆς θλίψεως διὰ τὴν χαρὰν ὅτι ἐγεννήθη ἄνθρωπος εἰς τὸν κόσμον.

Transliteration (Accordance):
    hē gynē hotan tiktȩ̄ lypēn echei, hoti ēlthen hē hōra autēs; hotan de gennēsȩ̄ to paidion, ouketi mnēmoneuei tēs thlipseōs dia tēn charan hoti egennēthē anthrōpos eis ton kosmon.

Translation (NRSV):
    When a woman is in labor, she has pain, because her hour has come. But when her child is born, she no longer remembers the anguish because of the joy of having brought a human being into the world.

Analysis (Zerwick/BDAG):
    τίκτῃ : subjunctive of τίκτω bear, give birth.
    γεννήσῃ : aorist subjunctive of γεννάω beget, hence give birth to.
    παιδίον : (diminutive of παῖς) child.
    οὐκέτι : no longer.
    μνημονεύω : remember.
    θλῖψις : (< θλίβω press) pressure ; oppression, affliction, suffering, tribulation.
    ἐγεννήθη : has been born, aorist passive of γεννάω.

Comment

• John 16:22

καὶ ὑμεῖς οὖν νῦν μὲν λύπην ἔχετε· πάλιν δὲ ὄψομαι ὑμᾶς, καὶ χαρήσεται ὑμῶν ἡ καρδία, καὶ τὴν χαρὰν ὑμῶν οὐδεὶς αἴρει ἀφ᾿ ὑμῶν.

kai hymeis oun nyn men lypēn echete; palin de opsomai hymas, kai charēsetai hymōn hē kardia, kai tēn charan hymōn oudeis airei aph’ hymōn.

Translation (NRSV):
      So you have pain now; but I will see you again, and your hearts will rejoice, and no one will take your joy from you.

Analysis (Zerwick/BDAG):
      καὶ ὑμεῖς οὖν : so you also, so in your case.
      μέν ... δέ : roughly equivalent to "on the one hand...on the other (hand)" or "...indeed...but", or "while...yet".
      ὄψομαι : future of ὁράω see.

Comment

• John 16:23

Καὶ ἐν ἐκείνῃ τῇ ἡμέρᾳ ἐμὲ οὐκ ἐρωτήσετε οὐδέν. ἀμὴν ἀμὴν λέγω ὑμῖν, ἄν τι αἰτήσητε τὸν πατέρα ἐν τῷ ὀνόματί μου δώσει ὑμῖν.

Kai en ekeinȩ̄ tȩ̄ hēmera̧ eme ouk erōtēsete ouden. amēn amēn legō hymin, an ti aitēsēte ton patera en tō̧ onomati mou dōsei hymin.

Translation (NRSV):
        On that day you will ask nothing of me. Very truly, I tell you, if you ask anything of the Father in my name, he will give it to you.

Analysis (Zerwick/BDAG):
        ἐρωτήσετε : future of ἐρωτάω ask.
        ἄν = ἐάν if.
        αἰτήσητε : aorist subjunctive of αἰτέω (τί) (τινα) ask (one) for (something).
        ἐν τῷ ὀνόματί μου : i.e. in union with/in the spirit of Jesus.
        δώσει : future of δίδωμι give.

Comment

• John 16:24

ἕως ἄρτι οὐκ ᾐτήσατε οὐδὲν ἐν τῷ ὀνόματί μου· αἰτεῖτε καὶ λήμψεσθε, ἵνα ἡ χαρὰ ὑμῶν ᾖ πεπληρωμένη.

heōs arti ouk ȩ̄tēsate ouden en tō̧ onomati mou; aiteite kai lēmpsesthe, hina hē chara hymōn ȩ̄ peplērōmenē.

Translation (NRSV):
          Until now you have not asked for anything in my name. Ask and you will receive, so that your joy may be complete.

Analysis (Zerwick/BDAG):
          ἕως ἄρτι : up to now.
          ᾐτήσατε : aorist of αἰτέω ask.
          αἰτεῖτε : imperative of αἰτέω.
          λήμψεσθε : future of λαμβάνω receive.
          : subjunctive of εἰμί be.
          πεπληρωμένη : perfect passive participle of πληρόω make full, complete.

Comment

• John 16:25

Ταῦτα ἐν παροιμίαις λελάληκα ὑμῖν· ἔρχεται ὥρα ὅτε οὐκέτι ἐν παροιμίαις λαλήσω ὑμῖν, ἀλλὰ παρρησίᾳ περὶ τοῦ πατρὸς ἀπαγγελῶ ὑμῖν.

Tauta en paroimiais lelalēka hymin; erchetai hōra hote ouketi en paroimiais lalēsō hymin, alla parrēsia̧ peri tou patros apaggelō hymin.

Translation (NRSV):
            I have said these things to you in figures of speech. The hour is coming when I will no longer speak to you in figures, but will tell you plainly of the Father.

Analysis (Zerwick/BDAG):
            παροιμία : (< πάροιμος by the way) a common saying, proverb ; in John, simile, hidden saying = Synoptic παραβολή.
            λελάληκα : perfect of λαλέω speak.
            λαλήσω : future of λαλέω speak.
            παρρησίᾳ : plainly, frankly.
            ἀπαγγελῶ : future of ἀπαγγέλλω announce, tell.

Comment

• John 16:26

ἐν ἐκείνῃ τῇ ἡμέρᾳ ἐν τῷ ὀνόματί μου αἰτήσεσθε, καὶ οὐ λέγω ὑμῖν ὅτι ἐγὼ ἐρωτήσω τὸν πατέρα περὶ ὑμῶν

en ekeinȩ̄ tȩ̄ hēmera̧ en tō̧ onomati mou aitēsesthe, kai ou legō hymin hoti egō erōtēsō ton patera peri hymōn

Translation (NRSV):
              On that day you will ask in my name. I do not say to you that I will ask the Father on your behalf

Analysis (Zerwick/BDAG):
              αἰτήσεσθε : future middle of αἰτέω to ask for, with a claim on receipt of an answer, ask, ask for.
              ἐρωτήσω : future of ἐρωτάω to ask for something, ask, request.
              περί : for ὑπέρ (with genitive) on your behalf, for.

Comment

• John 16:27

αὐτὸς γὰρ ὁ πατὴρ φιλεῖ ὑμᾶς, ὅτι ὑμεῖς ἐμὲ πεφιλήκατε καὶ πεπιστεύκατε ὅτι ἐγὼ παρὰ [τοῦ] θεοῦ ἐξῆλθον.

autos gar ho patēr philei hymas, hoti hymeis eme pephilēkate kai pepisteukate hoti egō para [tou] theou exēlthon.

Translation (NRSV):
                for the Father himself loves you, because you have loved me and have believed that I came from God.

Analysis (Zerwick/BDAG):
                αὐτὸς ... πατὴρ : the Father loves you himself.
                φιλέω : hold in affection, love.
                πεφιλήκατε : perfect of φιλέω.
                πεπιστεύκατε : perfect of πιστεύω believe.
                ἐξῆλθον : came from.

Comment

• John 16:28

ἐξῆλθον παρὰ τοῦ πατρὸς καὶ ἐλήλυθα εἰς τὸν κόσμον· πάλιν ἀφίημι τὸν κόσμον καὶ πορεύομαι πρὸς τὸν πατέρα.

exēlthon para tou patros kai elēlytha eis ton kosmon; palin aphiēmi ton kosmon kai poreuomai pros ton patera.

Translation (NRSV):
                  I came from the Father and have come into the world; again, I am leaving the world and am going to the Father.

Analysis (Zerwick/BDAG):
                  ἐλήλυθα : perfect of ἔρχομαι come.
                  ἀφίημι : I am leaving.

Comment

• John 16:29

Λέγουσιν οἱ μαθηταὶ αὐτοῦ· ἴδε νῦν ἐν παρρησίᾳ λαλεῖς καὶ παροιμίαν οὐδεμίαν λέγεις.

Legousin hoi mathētai autou; ide nyn en parrēsia̧ laleis kai paroimian oudemian legeis.

Translation (NRSV):
                    His disciples said, “Yes, now you are speaking plainly, not in any figure of speech!

Analysis (Zerwick/BDAG):
                    ἴδε : aorist imperative of ὁράω, as exclamation = ἰδού.
                    παρρησία : frankness, plainness of speech.
                    παροιμία : (< πάροιμος by the way) a common saying, proverb ; in John, simile, hidden saying = Synoptic παραβολή.
                    οὐδεμίαν : accusative singular feminine of οὐδείς.

Comment

• John 16:30

νῦν οἴδαμεν ὅτι οἶδας πάντα καὶ οὐ χρείαν ἔχεις ἵνα τίς σε ἐρωτᾷ· ἐν τούτῳ πιστεύομεν ὅτι ἀπὸ θεοῦ ἐξῆλθες.

nyn oidamen hoti oidas panta kai ou chreian echeis hina tis se erōta̧; en toutō̧ pisteuomen hoti apo theou exēlthes.

Translation (NRSV):
                      Now we know that you know all things, and do not need to have anyone question you; by this we believe that you came from God.”

Analysis (Zerwick/BDAG):
                      χρεία : need, necessity ; χρείαν ἔχεις have need of, need.
                      ἵνα : for infinitive (explaining or qualifying χρείαν).
                      ἐρωτᾷ : subjunctive (same form as present indicative) of ἐρωτάω ask, question.
                      ἐν : causal, an extension of instrumental use, ἐν τούτῳ because of this (retrospective).

Comment

• John 16:31

ἀπεκρίθη αὐτοῖς Ἰησοῦς· ἄρτι πιστεύετε;

apekrithē autois Iēsous; arti pisteuete?

Translation (NRSV):
                        Jesus answered them, “Do you now believe?

Analysis (Zerwick/BDAG):
                        ἀπεκρίθη : aorist deponent of ἀποκρίνομαι answer, reply.
                        ἄρτι : now.

Comment

• John 16:32

ἰδοὺ ἔρχεται ὥρα καὶ ἐλήλυθεν ἵνα σκορπισθῆτε ἕκαστος εἰς τὰ ἴδια κἀμὲ μόνον ἀφῆτε· καὶ οὐκ εἰμὶ μόνος, ὅτι ὁ πατὴρ μετ᾿ ἐμοῦ ἐστιν.

idou erchetai hōra kai elēlythen hina skorpisthēte hekastos eis ta idia kame monon aphēte; kai ouk eimi monos, hoti ho patēr met’ emou estin.

Translation (NRSV):
                          The hour is coming, indeed it has come, when you will be scattered, each one to his home, and you will leave me alone. Yet I am not alone because the Father is with me.

Analysis (Zerwick/BDAG):
                          ὥρα : a time.
                          ἵνα : either for τοῦ + infinitive ; or perhaps representing Aramaic di, an indeclinable relative which may also refer back to an expression of time, ἵνα would then = ᾗ.
                          ἐλήλυθεν : perfect of ἔρχομαι come.
                          σκορπισθῆτε : aorist passive subjunctive of σκορπίζω scatter.
                          ἕκαστος : each/every one.
                          ἴδιος : proper to one, one's own ; τὰ ἴδια one's home, here εἰς τὰ ἴδια perhaps his own way.
                          κἀμέ = καὶ ἐμέ.
                          ἀφῆτε : aorist subjunctive of ἀφίημι leave.
                          καί : and yet.

Comment

• John 16:33

ταῦτα λελάληκα ὑμῖν ἵνα ἐν ἐμοὶ εἰρήνην ἔχητε. ἐν τῷ κόσμῳ θλῖψιν ἔχετε· ἀλλὰ θαρσεῖτε, ἐγὼ νενίκηκα τὸν κόσμον.

tauta lelalēka hymin hina en emoi eirēnēn echēte. en tō̧ kosmō̧ thlipsin echete; alla tharseite, egō nenikēka ton kosmon.

Translation (NRSV):
                            I have said this to you, so that in me you may have peace. In the world you face persecution. But take courage; I have conquered the world!”

Analysis (Zerwick/BDAG):
                            ἔχητε : subjunctive of ἐγώ have.
                            θλῖψις : (< θλῖψις) pressure ; oppression, affliction, suffering, tribulation.
                            ἔχετε : futuristic present.
                            θαρσεῖτε : imperative of θαρσέω have courage, confidence, take heart.
                            νενίκηκα : perfect of νικάω conquer, overcome.

Comment

• John 17:1

Ταῦτα ἐλάλησεν Ἰησοῦς καὶ ἐπάρας τοὺς ὀφθαλμοὺς αὐτοῦ εἰς τὸν οὐρανὸν εἶπεν· πάτερ, ἐλήλυθεν ἡ ὥρα· δόξασόν σου τὸν υἱόν, ἵνα ὁ υἱὸς δοξάσῃ σέ

Tauta elalēsen Iēsous kai eparas tous ophthalmous autou eis ton ouranon eipen; pater, elēlythen hē hōra; doxason sou ton huion, hina ho huios doxasȩ̄ se

Translation (NRSV):
                              After Jesus had spoken these words, he looked up to heaven and said, “Father, the hour has come; glorify your Son so that the Son may glorify you

Analysis (Zerwick/BDAG):
                              ἐλάλησεν : aorist of λαλέω speak.
                              ἐπάρας : aorist participle of ἐπαίρω lift up.
                              πάτερ : vocative of πατήρ father.
                              ἐλήλυθεν : perfect of ἔρχομαι come.
                              δόξασον : aorist imperative of δοξάζω glorify.
                              δοξάσῃ : aorist subjunctive of δοξάζω glorify.

Comment

• John 17:2

καθὼς ἔδωκας αὐτῷ ἐξουσίαν πάσης σαρκός, ἵνα πᾶν ὃ δέδωκας αὐτῷ δώσῃ αὐτοῖς ζωὴν αἰώνιον.

kathōs edōkas autō̧ exousian pasēs sarkos, hina pan ho dedōkas autō̧ dōsȩ̄ autois zōēn aiōnion.

Translation (NRSV):
                                since you have given him authority over all people, to give eternal life to all whom you have given him.

Analysis (Zerwick/BDAG):
                                ἔδωκας : aorist of δίδωμι give.
                                ἐξουσία (τινός) : authority over (something).
                                πᾶσα σάρξ : without article, "everything that is flesh", Semitism for all mankind.
                                πᾶν ὃ : the whole which instead of masculine but Greek idiom allows neuter for masculine to emphasize the totality of individuals, to all those whom...; pendent nominative ["a form of anacoluthon ... consists in the enunciation of the logical (not grammatical) subject at the beginning of the sentence, followed by a sentence in which that subject is taken up by a pronoun in the case required by the syntax" -BG §25].
                                ὃ δέδωκας : perfect of δίδωμι ; the alternation of aorist and perfect here and in following verses is difficult to explain.
                                δώσῃ : aorist subjunctive of δίδωμι.

Comment

widgetinstance 221 (Related Threads) skipped due to lack of content & hide_module_if_empty option.
                                Working...
                                X