Announcement

Collapse

Biblical Languages 301 Guidelines

This is where we come to delve into the biblical text. Theology is not our foremost thought, but we realize it is something that will be dealt with in nearly every conversation. Feel free to use the original languages to make your point (meaning Greek, Hebrew, and Aramaic). This is an exegetical discussion area, so please limit topics to purely biblical ones.

This is not the section for debates between theists and atheists. While a theistic viewpoint is not required for discussion in this area, discussion does presuppose a respect for the integrity of the Biblical text (or the willingness to accept such a presupposition for discussion purposes) and a respect for the integrity of the faith of others and a lack of an agenda to undermine the faith of others.

Forum Rules: Here
See more
See less

John 13-17

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

John 14:17

Text: (NA27):
    τὸ πνεῦμα τῆς ἀληθείας, ὃ ὁ κόσμος οὐ δύναται λαβεῖν, ὅτι οὐ θεωρεῖ αὐτὸ οὐδὲ γινώσκει· ὑμεῖς γινώσκετε αὐτό, ὅτι παρ᾿ ὑμῖν μένει καὶ ἐν ὑμῖν ἔσται.

Transliteration (Accordance):
    to pneuma tēs alētheias, ho ho kosmos ou dynatai labein, hoti ou theōrei auto oude ginōskei; hymeis ginōskete auto, hoti par’ hymin menei kai en hymin estai.

Translation (NRSV):
    This is the Spirit of truth, whom the world cannot receive, because it neither sees him nor knows him. You know him, because he abides with you, and he will be in you.

Analysis (Zerwick/BDAG):
    κόσμος : world as opposite God, this world.
    λαβεῖν : aorist infinitive of λαμβάνω receive.
    θεωρέω : see.
    παρά : with dative beside, with, at one's house (not merely in one's company).
    ἔσται : future of εἰμί.

Comment

John 14:18

Οὐκ ἀφήσω ὑμᾶς ὀρφανούς, ἔρχομαι πρὸς ὑμᾶς.

Ouk aphēsō hymas orphanous, erchomai pros hymas.

Translation (NRSV):
      I will not leave you orphaned; I am coming to you.

Analysis (Zerwick/BDAG):
      ἀφήσω : future of ἀφίημι leave.
      ὀρφανός : orphan, also of disciples left without a master.
      ἔρχομαι : I shall come, future sense frequent in messianic contexts.

Comment

John 14:19

ἔτι μικρὸν καὶ ὁ κόσμος με οὐκέτι θεωρεῖ, ὑμεῖς δὲ θεωρεῖτέ με, ὅτι ἐγὼ ζῶ καὶ ὑμεῖς ζήσετε.

eti mikron kai ho kosmos me ouketi theōrei, hymeis de theōreite me, hoti egō zō kai hymeis zēsete.

Translation (NRSV):
        In a little while the world will no longer see me, but you will see me; because I live, you also will live.

Analysis (Zerwick/BDAG):
        μικρόν : (neuter of μικρός small) adverbial, a little.
        οὐκέτι : no longer.
        θεωρεῖτε : meaning you will see.
        ζῶ = ζάω.
        ζήσετε : future.

Comment

John 14:20

ἐν ἐκείνῃ τῇ ἡμέρᾳ γνώσεσθε ὑμεῖς ὅτι ἐγὼ ἐν τῷ πατρί μου καὶ ὑμεῖς ἐν ἐμοὶ κἀγὼ ἐν ὑμῖν.

en ekeinȩ̄ tȩ̄ hēmera̧ gnōsesthe hymeis hoti egō en tō̧ patri mou kai hymeis en emoi kagō en hymin.

Translation (NRSV):
          On that day you will know that I am in my Father, and you in me, and I in you.

Analysis (Zerwick/BDAG):
          γνώσεσθε : future of γινώσκω know.
          κἀγώ = καὶ ἐγώ.

Comment

John 14:21

ὁ ἔχων τὰς ἐντολάς μου καὶ τηρῶν αὐτὰς ἐκεῖνός ἐστιν ὁ ἀγαπῶν με· ὁ δὲ ἀγαπῶν με ἀγαπηθήσεται ὑπὸ τοῦ πατρός μου, κἀγὼ ἀγαπήσω αὐτὸν καὶ ἐμφανίσω αὐτῷ ἐμαυτόν.

ὁ ἔχων τὰς ἐντολάς μου καὶ τηρῶν αὐτὰς ἐκεῖνός ἐστιν ὁ ἀγαπῶν με· ὁ δὲ ἀγαπῶν με ἀγαπηθήσεται ὑπὸ τοῦ πατρός μου, κἀγὼ ἀγαπήσω αὐτὸν καὶ ἐμφανίσω αὐτῷ ἐμαυτόν.

Translation (ESV):
            Whoever has my commandments and keeps them, he it is who loves me. And he who loves me will be loved by my Father, and I will love him and manifest myself to him.

Analysis (Zerwick/BDAG):
            ὁ ἔχων ... καὶ τηρῶν : one who has ... and keeps, participles of ἔχω and τηρέω.
            ὁ ἀγαπῶν : participle of ἀγαπάω love ; predicate, he is the one who loves me.
            ἀγαπηθήσεται : future passive of ἀγαπάω.
            ἀγαπήσω : future of ἀγαπάω.
            ἐμφανίσω : future of ἐμφανίζω make visible (ἐμφανής), reveal, show.
            ἐμαυτόν : myself.

Comment

John 14:22

Λέγει αὐτῷ Ἰούδας, οὐχ ὁ Ἰσκαριώτης· κύριε, [καὶ] τί γέγονεν ὅτι ἡμῖν μέλλεις ἐμφανίζειν σεαυτὸν καὶ οὐχὶ τῷ κόσμῳ;

Legei autō̧ Ioudas, ouch ho Iskariōtēs; kyrie, [kai] ti gegonen hoti hēmin melleis emphanizein seauton kai ouchi tō̧ kosmō̧?

Translation (ESV):
              Judas (not Iscariot) said to him, “Lord, how is it that you will manifest yourself to us, and not to the world?”

Analysis (Zerwick/BDAG):
              καί : (if it is to be read) introducing a question.
              γέγονεν : perfect of γίνομαι : τί γέγονεν; what has happened?
              ὅτι : causal, (to account for the fact) that.
              μέλλεις : you intend/mean to.
              ἐμφανίζειν : infinitive of ἐμφανίζω make visible.
              σεαυτόν : reflexive yourself.
              οὐχί = emphatic οὐ not.

Comment

John 14:23

ἀπεκρίθη Ἰησοῦς καὶ εἶπεν αὐτῷ· ἐάν τις ἀγαπᾷ με τὸν λόγον μου τηρήσει, καὶ ὁ πατήρ μου ἀγαπήσει αὐτὸν καὶ πρὸς αὐτὸν ἐλευσόμεθα καὶ μονὴν παρ᾿ αὐτῷ ποιησόμεθα.

apekrithē Iēsous kai eipen autō̧; ean tis agapa̧ me ton logon mou tērēsei, kai ho patēr mou agapēsei auton kai pros auton eleusometha kai monēn par’ autō̧ poiēsometha.

Translation (ESV):
                Jesus answered him, “If anyone loves me, he will keep my word, and my Father will love him, and we will come to him and make our home with him.

Analysis (Zerwick/BDAG):
                ἀπεκρίθη : aorist deponent of ἀποκρίνομαι answer.
                τηρήσει : future of τηρέω keep.
                ἐλευσόμεθα : future of ἔρχομαι come.
                μονή : room, abode.
                ποιησόμεθα : future middle of ποιέω make ; μονὴν ... ποιησόμεθα with characteristic middle force we shall make our home (i.e., dwell).

Comment

John 14:24

ὁ μὴ ἀγαπῶν με τοὺς λόγους μου οὐ τηρεῖ· καὶ ὁ λόγος ὃν ἀκούετε οὐκ ἔστιν ἐμὸς ἀλλὰ τοῦ πέμψαντός με πατρός.

ho mē agapōn me tous logous mou ou tērei; kai ho logos hon akouete ouk estin emos alla tou pempsantos me patros.

Translation (ESV):
                  Whoever does not love me does not keep my words. And the word that you hear is not mine but the Father's who sent me.

Analysis (Zerwick/BDAG):
                  ἀγαπῶν : participle of ἀγαπάω love.
                  πέμψαντος : aorist participle of πέμπω send.

Comment

John 14:25

Ταῦτα λελάληκα ὑμῖν παρ᾿ ὑμῖν μένων·

Tauta lelalēka hymin par’ hymin menōn;

Translation (ESV):
                    These things I have spoken to you while I am still with you.

Analysis (Zerwick/BDAG):
                    λελάληκα : perfect of λαλέω speak.
                    μένων : participle of μένω remain, stay.

Comment

John 14:26

ὁ δὲ παράκλητος, τὸ πνεῦμα τὸ ἅγιον, ὃ πέμψει ὁ πατὴρ ἐν τῷ ὀνόματί μου, ἐκεῖνος ὑμᾶς διδάξει πάντα καὶ ὑπομνήσει ὑμᾶς πάντα ἃ εἶπον ὑμῖν [ἐγώ].

ho de paraklētos, to pneuma to hagion, ho pempsei ho patēr en tō̧ onomati mou, ekeinos hymas didaxei panta kai hypomnēsei hymas panta ha eipon hymin [egō].

Translation (ESV):
                      But the Helper, the Holy Spirit, whom the Father will send in my name, he will teach you all things and bring to your remembrance all that I have said to you.

Analysis (Zerwick/BDAG):
                      παράκλητος : advocate ; helper ; comforter.
                      : accusative neuter.
                      πέμψει : future of πέμπω send.
                      διδάξει : future of διδάσκω teach.
                      πάντα : neuter plural accusative.
                      ὑπομνήσει : future of ὑπομιμνῄσκω remind one of something,

Comment

John 14:27

Εἰρήνην ἀφίημι ὑμῖν, εἰρήνην τὴν ἐμὴν δίδωμι ὑμῖν· οὐ καθὼς ὁ κόσμος δίδωσιν ἐγὼ δίδωμι ὑμῖν. μὴ ταρασσέσθω ὑμῶν ἡ καρδία μηδὲ δειλιάτω.

Eirēnēn aphiēmi hymin, eirēnēn tēn emēn didōmi hymin; ou kathōs ho kosmos didōsin egō didōmi hymin. mē tarassesthō hymōn hē kardia mēde deiliatō.

Translation (ESV):
                        Peace I leave with you; my peace I give to you. Not as the world gives do I give to you. Let not your hearts be troubled, neither let them be afraid.

Analysis (Zerwick/BDAG):
                        ἀφίημι : leave (transitive).
                        εἰρήνην τὴν ἐμήν : substantive without article followed by adjective with the article = characteristic of Hellenistic Greek.
                        καθώς : in Greek normally in the same way as (e.g. 13:34) so, not as the world gives (RSV) ; but under Semitic influence may = οἷος of the kind that, such as, thus comparing different kinds of peace, peace such as the world cannot give (NEB) 6:58.
                        ταρασσέσθω : imperative passive 3rd singular of ταράσσω disturb, trouble.
                        μηδέ : and not, nor.
                        δειλιάτω : imperative 3rd singular of δειλιάω shrink, be cowardly/afraid.
                        Last edited by John Reece; 10-10-2014, 05:43 PM.

Comment

John 14:29

καὶ νῦν εἴρηκα ὑμῖν πρὶν γενέσθαι, ἵνα ὅταν γίνομαι πιστεύσητε.

kai nyn eirēka hymin prin genesthai, hina hotan genētai pisteusēte.

Translation (ESV):
                          And now I have told you before it takes place, so that when it does take place you may believe.

Analysis (Zerwick/BDAG):
                          εἴρηκα : perfect of λέγω say, tell.
                          πρίν : with accusative + infinitive before.
                          γενέσθαι : aorist infinitive of γίνομαι happen, take place
                          γίνομαι : aorist subjunctive of γίνομαι.
                          πιστεύσητε : aorist subjunctive of πιστεύω believe.

Comment

John 14:30

οὐκέτι πολλὰ λαλήσω μεθ᾿ ὑμῶν, ἔρχεται γὰρ ὁ τοῦ κόσμου ἄρχων· καὶ ἐν ἐμοὶ οὐκ ἔχει οὐδέν

ouketi polla lalēsō meth’ hymōn, erchetai gar ho tou kosmou archōn; kai en emoi ouk echei ouden

Translation (ESV):
                            I will no longer talk much with you, for the ruler of this world is coming. He has no claim on me

Analysis (Zerwick/BDAG):
                            οὐκέτι : no longer.
                            παλλά : neuter plural of πολύς much.
                            λαλήσω : future of λαλέω talk.
                            ὁ κόσμος : the world, as opposed to God, in contrast to this world.
                            ἄρχων : ruler, prince.
                            καί : but.
                            ἐν ἐμοὶ οὐκ ἔχει οὐδέν : he has no hold/claim on me (containing a double Aramaic ἐν "against" and ἔχω "be able").

Comment

John 14:31

ἀλλ᾿ ἵνα γνῷ ὁ κόσμος ὅτι ἀγαπῶ τὸν πατέρα, καὶ καθὼς ἐνετείλατό μοι ὁ πατήρ, οὕτως ποιῶ. ἐγείρεσθε, ἄγωμεν ἐντεῦθεν.

all’ hina gnō̧ ho kosmos hoti agapō ton patera, kai kathōs eneteilato moi ho patēr, houtōs poiō. egeiresthe, agōmen enteuthen.

Translation (NRSV):
                              but I do as the Father has commanded me, so that the world may know that I love the Father. Rise, let us be on our way.

Analysis (Zerwick/BDAG):
                              γνῷ : aorist subjunctive of γινώσκω: ἵνα absolute = imperative this world must learn.
                              ἐνετείλατο : aorist of ἐντέλλομαι give instructions, command.
                              ἐγείρεσθε : imperative passive intransitive of ἐγείρω rise.
                              ἄγωμεν : hortative subjunctive (intransitive) from ἄγω bring ; intransitive only in hortatory subjunctive let us go!
                              ἐντεῦθεν : from here.

Comment

John 15:1

Εγώ εἰμι ἡ ἄμπελος ἡ ἀληθινὴ καὶ ὁ πατήρ μου ὁ γεωργός ἐστιν.

Egō eimi hē ampelos hē alēthinē kai ho patēr mou ho geōrgos estin.

Translation (WEB):
                                I am the true vine, and my Father is the farmer.

Analysis (Zerwick/BDAG):
                                ἄμπελος : vine.
                                αληθινος : true, real.
                                γεωργός, : farmer, cultivator.

Comment

widgetinstance 221 (Related Threads) skipped due to lack of content & hide_module_if_empty option.
                                Working...
                                X