Announcement

Collapse

Computer Lab Guidelines

Here in the computer lab, we talk about cool tech, the newest coolest gadgets, and tackle your toughest tech questions.

If you need to refresh yourself on the decorum, now would be a good time. Forum Rules: here
See more
See less

The End of Moore's Law

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• The End of Moore's Law

It looks like Moore's Law is coming to an end, after being followed for 50 years. Do you have any ideas about what will happen with computing technology in the coming decades? I wonder if change will be limited, in the same way that the airplanes of today are no faster than those of 50 years ago.
    http://www.nature.com/news/the-chips...-s-law-1.19338
    Find my speling strange? I'm trying this out: Simplified Speling. Feel free to join me.

"Nature has placed mankind under the governance of two sovereign masters, pain and pleasure. It is for them alone to point out what we ought to do, as well as to determine what we shall do."-Jeremy Bentham

"We question all our beliefs, except for the ones that we really believe in, and those we never think to question."-Orson Scott Card

There may be some avenues via 3d circuits to allow faster processing.

One of the problems of the chips is the density of transistors. But density alone is not the issue. The other issue is current leakage for transistors not being used. So there could be millions of transistors creating heat while sitting idle. There are potential transistor designs on the sidelines -- and something may replace common designs used today.

In actuality though the biggest hindrance to speed (with a focus for now on the home computer) is the memory access speed. The DDR4 may represent that last of this line of memory standards without changing the microprocessor architecture. I think the alternative for memory was to build the memory onto the same IC as the CPU.

We may even be running into a market-driven limitation in the sense that the main O/S provider, Microsoft, could be pushing a family of Intel microprocessors rather than other CPU technology with more potential -- though I'm not sure what alternatives are available.
    Last edited by mikewhitney; 03-18-2016, 06:18 PM.

Comment

When I worked for Hewlett-Packard years ago, HP Labs was working on growing circuits on the molecular level. They apparently patented a process in 2002. I remember seeing a "chip" that was about 1/2 the size of my thumb nail and it had 7 miles of wire on it. I also remember them saying you could put all the memory and circuitry in a pc on a cube the size of a sugar cube.

Here are some links to public releases.

http://www.cnet.com/news/hp-patents-...ular-circuits/

http://www.hpl.hp.com/news/2004/july_sept/quantum.html
      "What has the Church gained if it is popular, but there is no conviction, no repentance, no power?" - A.W. Tozer

"... there are two parties in Washington, the stupid party and the evil party, who occasionally get together and do something both stupid and evil, and this is called bipartisanship." - Everett Dirksen

Comment