Announcement

Collapse

Fraternity Guidelines

This is a guy's only forum. No girls allowed. Male bonding time.

In here we can leave the seat up, drink from the carton and talk about manly things without fear of the ladies butting in. You know how they can be.

But remember, always play by the rules: here
See more
See less

Not the typical guy

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Not the typical guy

So, how many of us have sons that aren't the "typical guy" who likes sports or cars?

That's what
    - She

Without a clear-cut definition of sin, morality becomes a mere argument over the best way to train animals
    - Manya the Holy Szin (The Quintara Marathon)

I may not be as old as dirt, but me and dirt are starting to have an awful lot in common
    - Stephen R. Donaldson

I'm one of those sons that's not into sports and cars.
    Have You Touched Grass Today? If Not, Please Do.

Comment

Originally posted by Chaotic Void View Post
      You're Canuckistani and you don't like hockey???
      3 For I delivered to you as of first importance what I also received: that Christ died for our sins in accordance with the Scriptures, 4 that he was buried, that he was raised on the third day in accordance with the Scriptures --1 Corinthians 15:3-4 (borrowed with gratitude from 37818's sig)

Comment

Originally posted by LostSheep View Post
        You're Canuckistani and you don't like hockey???
        I liked it when I was trolling my one teacher in High School. He was a Boston Bruins fan, so I wore a Montreal Canadiens jersey to bother him (huge rivalry between the Bruins and the 'Habs').
        Have You Touched Grass Today? If Not, Please Do.

Comment

I am the son who doesn't care for sports and cars. One exception. Mike and my brother-in-law and I might go see a Braves game this summer.

Comment

Adam kind of likes going to the local Double A baseball team we have here, the Flying Squirrels () from time to time, but mainly he wants to try to catch a baseball. He couldn't care less about the game.

It's an interesting thing, having to come out of my comfort zone, so that we have some things in common and can talk dad to son. I've always been into sports... cars, not so much, but I love sports. Adam couldn't care less about them. He loves Minecraft. So, I take the time to learn about his interests and it has made all the difference in our relationship.
            That's what
            - She

Without a clear-cut definition of sin, morality becomes a mere argument over the best way to train animals

I may not be as old as dirt, but me and dirt are starting to have an awful lot in common
            - Stephen R. Donaldson

Comment

I don't care about sports. Pretty sure I'm the only guy in Montana who doesn't. I only care about cars insofar as mine run and get me where I need to go, but I can still appreciate a nice car.

My son sure likes his cars, though. (1 year old)
              I DENOUNCE DONALD J. TRUMP AND ALL HIS IMMORAL ACTS.

Comment

Originally posted by Bill the Cat View Post
                So, how many of us have sons that aren't the "typical guy" who likes sports or cars?

I have one son who does and one son who doesn't. Oldest played baseball and tried football, likes both...and cars! Younger son doesn't even have a drivers license at age 23... and could not care less about sports.
                "What has the Church gained if it is popular, but there is no conviction, no repentance, no power?" - A.W. Tozer

"... there are two parties in Washington, the stupid party and the evil party, who occasionally get together and do something both stupid and evil, and this is called bipartisanship." - Everett Dirksen

Comment

Originally posted by Chaotic Void View Post
                  Same. Now, when I was healthy I was just fine playing sports, but watching them was just boring.

Comment

Originally posted by Bill the Cat View Post
                    Adam kind of likes going to the local Double A baseball team we have here, the Flying Squirrels () from time to time, but mainly he wants to try to catch a baseball. He couldn't care less about the game.

It's an interesting thing, having to come out of my comfort zone, so that we have some things in common and can talk dad to son. I've always been into sports... cars, not so much, but I love sports. Adam couldn't care less about them. He loves Minecraft. So, I take the time to learn about his interests and it has made all the difference in our relationship.
                    I foresee myself having the opposite problem with my daughter. I couldn't care less about sports. Cars hold some interest, but I never learned to do much mechanically so I don't bother. At almost 5, my daughter is crazy into sports. She's really good at soccer and will probably be starting leagues this summer. She found a basketball and wants to play with that. She's asked to watch football on TV. She asked me to buy her a glove and baseball so I could teach her catch. We went to a local baseball game last summer, and she threw a big fit when we had to leave before it was over (was already 11pm).

Fortunately(?), she's also shown an interest in video games. We have certain nights to play together. That can be nice sometimes, but why sports?!

Maybe I should introduce her to sports video games...
                    I'm not here anymore.

Comment

Originally posted by Littlejoe View Post
                      I have one son who does and one son who doesn't. Oldest played baseball and tried football, likes both...and cars! Younger son doesn't even have a drivers license at age 23... and could not care less about sports.
                      The funny thing is that both of my girls play volleyball, my oldest climbs rocks, and my youngest loves to watch basketball.
                      That's what
                      - She

- Stephen R. Donaldson

Comment

I can't speak much--wife has me taken ballet classes.

I do like working on cars, but have given up all hope as to "fun" cars. Too expensive. All about cost. Which is kinda of another number: instead of looking for best 0-60 time, or quarter mile, or what have you, all about cost per mile. It's sorta the same, a numbers game... sorta. Sports, eh, it's not fun if you're not playing. Too boring to watch.

I fear my son won't be into guy stuff. I've (jokingly) offered to let him drive the car (or truck). No interest. I think he's scared. Then again. He has muscular dystrophy. :( In some ways I don't want him to get into stuff that he can't do when he's older. Bad of me I know. But as long as he is under my roof I'll always be looking out for his best interests.

I'm afraid I have no interests in his interests. Minecraft and the like. I guess it's a generational gap.
                        No Silicon Heaven? Preposterous! Where would all the calculators go?

Comment

My son is not "into" sports or cars. He takes after his dad in those things.
                          Micah 6:8 He has told you, O man, what is good; and what does the LORD require of you but to do justice, and to love kindness, and to walk humbly with your God?

Comment

I never liked sports much, but I did like cars. Still do. Not fixing them, just appreciating them. Probably the geek in me. The more high-tech the car the better.

Comment

I love cars for getting places. Beats walking.
                              Micah 6:8 He has told you, O man, what is good; and what does the LORD require of you but to do justice, and to love kindness, and to walk humbly with your God?

Comment

widgetinstance 221 (Related Threads) skipped due to lack of content & hide_module_if_empty option.
                              Working...
                              X