Announcement

Collapse

Civics 101 Guidelines

Want to argue about politics? Healthcare reform? Taxes? Governments? You've come to the right place!

Try to keep it civil though. The rules still apply here.
See more
See less

North Carolina Bathroom Bill

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• North Carolina Bathroom Bill

There has been controversy for some time now regarding transsexual bathroom accommodations. North Carolina has a new bill, House Bill 2, that would force people to use the bathroom corresponding to their biological sex. This has generated quite a bit of controversy, with various businesses and organizations condemning the bill and threatening boycotts.

See here for a recent CNN article: http://www.cnn.com/2016/03/23/politi...ill/index.html

At first glance, I didn't really have a problem with the bill. I'm uncomfortable with the idea of a man claiming to identify as a woman and going into a woman's bathroom, or vice versa. Then I heard on CNN that the bill defines "biological sex" as the sex identified on a person's birth certificate. I verified that in the bill itself:

http://www.ncleg.net/Sessions/2015E2...e/PDF/H2v1.pdf
    Last edited by Yttrium; 03-27-2016, 04:58 PM.
    Middle-of-the-road swing voter. Feel free to sway my opinion.

Does this go so far as to prevent unisex bathrooms?

Comment

Originally posted by Leonhard View Post
      Does this go so far as to prevent unisex bathrooms?
      For multiple occupancy bathrooms, yes. From what I've read, single occupancy unisex bathrooms would be okay.

Comment

Originally posted by Yttrium View Post
        For multiple occupancy bathrooms, yes. From what I've read, single occupancy unisex bathrooms would be okay.
        Weird.

Comment

I think if this were done properly, you'd never know there was a problem. If a transgender looks enough like the gender they have claimed, who would even notice?
          The first to state his case seems right until another comes and cross-examines him.

Comment

Originally posted by Cow Poke View Post
            I think if this were done properly, you'd never know there was a problem. If a transgender looks enough like the gender they have claimed, who would even notice?
            That's been on my mind the entire time. There are some...practical issues, you could say..... if one was to go about enforcing laws on the topic.
            "If you believe, take the first step, it leads to Jesus Christ. If you don't believe, take the first step all the same, for you are bidden to take it. No one wants to know about your faith or unbelief, your orders are to perform the act of obedience on the spot. Then you will find yourself in the situation where faith becomes possible and where faith exists in the true sense of the word." - Dietrich Bonhoeffer, The Cost of Discipleship

Comment

I still don't get the whole banning of unisex bathrooms. Doesn't that sound a tad bit restrictive to you?

Comment

North Carolina has a new bill, House Bill 2, that would force people to use the bathroom corresponding to their biological sex. This has generated quite a bit of controversy...
                Just goes to show how screwed up modern culture is when good old fashioned common sense is considered controversial.
                Some may call me foolish, and some may call me odd
                But I'd rather be a fool in the eyes of man
                Than a fool in the eyes of God

From "Fools Gold" by Petra

Comment

Originally posted by Mountain Man View Post
                  Just goes to show how screwed up modern culture is when good old fashioned common sense is considered controversial.
                  If people who had sex change operations weren't involved in this bill, then I wouldn't scoff at your comment.

*scoff*

Comment

If people who had sex change operations weren't involved in this bill, then I wouldn't scoff at your comment.

*scoff*
                    People who mutilate their genitals need psychiatric help.

Comment

I'm not backing down on that scoff.

Comment

Originally posted by Leonhard View Post
                        I still don't get the whole banning of unisex bathrooms. Doesn't that sound a tad bit restrictive to you?
                        What is common sense about banning unisex bathrooms? Am I really the only one who finds that weird?

They're essentially saying that bathrooms must be gendered. Then they use chromosomes as the defining character of sex, (because intersexed people don't exist).

All to prevent a non-existent problem?

Comment

I'm not backing down on that scoff.
                          "You must understand that in the last days scoffers will come, scoffing and following their own evil desires."
                          -2 Peter 3:3

Comment

Originally posted by Mountain Man View Post
                            "You must understand that in the last days scoffers will come, scoffing and following their own evil desires."
                            -2 Peter 3:3
                            Ooh, nice comeback. I'll have to remember that one.

Comment

In a public bathroom setting you would be (for the most part) correct, but we have a (well at least one that I know of) "transgendered" person where you know that they were a man 6 months ago, and now they are identifying as a woman. However, in this particular case, I think this person might have a hard time even in a public restroom...

Our company was threatened with a lawsuit if they didn't come up with a solution to provide this person with an acceptable restroom. The women did not want this person in with them and this person did not want to be forced to go to the men's room. The solution for our company was to make both of our two lobby restrooms (which are single occupant) unisex so they had a place to go without upsetting anyone.
                              Last edited by Littlejoe; 03-28-2016, 08:43 AM.
                              "What has the Church gained if it is popular, but there is no conviction, no repentance, no power?" - A.W. Tozer

"... there are two parties in Washington, the stupid party and the evil party, who occasionally get together and do something both stupid and evil, and this is called bipartisanship." - Everett Dirksen

Comment