Announcement

Collapse

Psychology 101 Guidelines

Welcome to Tweb's couch. Please join us in discussing the joys of the human psyche. Watch in wonderment as the Tweb crowd has violent mood swings. help us understand what makes us tick.

Like everywhere else at Tweb our decorum rules apply.
See more
See less

Personality disorders

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

yeah if you have medical insurance that covers mental health, your carrier usually will have an online tool to help you find a doctor or therapist in your area that is in your plan. Log on to their website and take a look.

Comment

Irony is me telling Zym that the internet isn't always the place to find answers while the answer to his next question requires the internet.
      I'm not here anymore.

Comment

Originally posted by Sparko View Post
        yeah if you have medical insurance that covers mental health, your carrier usually will have an online tool to help you find a doctor or therapist in your area that is in your plan. Log on to their website and take a look.
        I would suggest this first for money reasons, but Cath's answer is also good.

With that, there's only two pieces of advice I have:

1) Keep trying people until you find someone you can open up to and be honest with.*
        2) Open up and be honest with that person.

*My understanding is that, statistically, good therapist/counselor match is the highest factor for continued improvement.
        I'm not here anymore.

Comment

Well I had an appointment yesterday. My first time talking to a shrink (his words, actually). We'll see how it goes after a couple more visits.
          I DENOUNCE DONALD J. TRUMP AND ALL HIS IMMORAL ACTS.

Comment

Hope it works out for you.
            I'm not here anymore.

Comment

Originally posted by Zymologist View Post
              Well I had an appointment yesterday. My first time talking to a shrink (his words, actually). We'll see how it goes after a couple more visits.
              Nothing much will ever transpire there. Shrinks typically just do medication management, psychologists do things like CBT and therapists try to help the "patient" or "client" make sense and/or use of whatever else.

I have no qualifications for diagnosing myself or anyone else, but I do happen to be a certified nut with much experience in survival as an escapee...

Originally posted by Catholicity View Post
              ...from the textbook perspective and from personal experience, those who have personality disorders generally refuse to acknowledge that they are sick or need help...
              Needing help does not necessarily prove one is sick...

Originally posted by Sparko View Post
              I think generally your friends and family might become worried about your actions and let you know that what you are doing or thinking is abnormal. Then you would go see...and talk...
              Originally posted by Carrikature View Post
              ...find someone you can open up to and be honest with.*

*My understanding is that, statistically, good therapist/counselor match is the highest factor for continued improvement.
              Yes, but the matter of "good therapist/counselor" is most-crucial.
              Last edited by leejosepho; 04-09-2016, 08:42 AM. Reason: punctuation & additional comment

Comment