Announcement

Collapse

Eschatology 201 Guidelines

This area of the forum is primarily for Christian theists to discuss orthodox views of Eschatology. Other theist participation is welcome within that framework, but only within orthodoxy. Posts from nontheists that do not promote atheism or seek to undermine the faith of others will be permitted at the Moderator's discretion - such posters should contact the area moderators before posting.

Without turning this forum into a 'hill of foreskins' (Joshua 5:3), I believe we can still have fun with this 'sensitive' topic.

However, don't be misled, dispensationalism has only partly to do with circumcision issues. So, let's not forget about Innocence, Conscience, Promises, Kingdoms and so on.

End time -isms within orthodox Christianity also discussed here. Clearly unorthodox doctrines, such as those advocating "pantelism/full preterism/Neo-Hymenaeanism" or the denial of any essential of the historic Christian faith are not permitted in this section but can be discussed in Comparative Religions 101 without restriction. Any such threads, as well as any that within the moderator's discretions fall outside mainstream evangelical belief, will be moved to the appropriate area.

Millennialism- post-, pre- a-

Futurism, Historicism, Idealism, and Preterism, or just your garden variety Zionism.

From the tribulation to the anichrist. Whether your tastes run from Gary DeMar to Tim LaHaye or anywhere in between, your input is welcome here.

OK folks, let's roll!

Forum Rules: Here
See more
See less

Christian persecution

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by seanD View Post
    As bad as that is, somehow that doesn't seem to be on par with being fed to lions, burned on stakes, starved to death, flayed alive or beheaded.
    Absolutely. But those things didn't just "pop up" one day. It began with statements like, "hey, weren't you with that Jesus we crucified", and responses like "I know not the man".

But I see your point and we'll see how it all develops.
    Yeah.

There's definitely a cultural and social anti-religious vibe rearing its head in the US. Whereas before, Christian suppression (i.e. schools, government facilities, etc.) was a bit more subtle, now it seems to be a lot more direct.
    Exactly. It's "in the air".
    The first to state his case seems right until another comes and cross-examines him.

Comment

Originally posted by Cow Poke View Post
      Absolutely. But those things didn't just "pop up" one day. It began with statements like, "hey, weren't you with that Jesus we crucified", and responses like "I know not the man".
      It's almost scary how fast the tide can change. One of the things that gets me was how fast it took for the crowds that welcomed Jesus on Palm Sunday to turn on him just a few days later.
      "I am not angered that the Moral Majority boys campaign against abortion. I am angry when the same men who say, "Save OUR children" bellow "Build more and bigger bombers." That's right! Blast the children in other nations into eternity, or limbless misery as they lay crippled from "OUR" bombers! This does not jell." - Leonard Ravenhill

Comment

Originally posted by KingsGambit View Post
        The part that's interesting here is "to make up your minds not to prepare beforehand to defend yourselves; for I will give you utterance and wisdom which none of your opponents will be able to resist or refute". If this applied to every Christian, it would seem to rule out the practice of studying apologetics. I believe the standard view is that this was specifically applied to the apostles, though.

Regardless, no Christian should ever take a time of political favor for granted. The disturbing of complacency is a very Christian concept and persecution can come at any time.
        I've always been a little distressed that Christians in the USA believe they will miss persecution. The escapes seems to be either the Rapture or America was founded as a Christian nation. I would not be surprised if I do die in a USA prison for my beliefs. It won't be tomorrow, next week, or next year but it could be within the next 10 years.
        "For I desire mercy, not sacrifice, and acknowledgment of God rather than burnt offerings." Hosea 6:6

"Theology can be an intellectual entertainment." Metropolitan Anthony Bloom

Comment

Originally posted by Thoughtful Monk View Post
          I've always been a little distressed that Christians in the USA believe they will miss persecution. The escapes seems to be either the Rapture or America was founded as a Christian nation. I would not be surprised if I do die in a USA prison for my beliefs. It won't be tomorrow, next week, or next year but it could be within the next 10 years.
          Anybody who is not willing to die such a death is not worthy of the label "Christian".
          "I am not angered that the Moral Majority boys campaign against abortion. I am angry when the same men who say, "Save OUR children" bellow "Build more and bigger bombers." That's right! Blast the children in other nations into eternity, or limbless misery as they lay crippled from "OUR" bombers! This does not jell." - Leonard Ravenhill

Comment

Originally posted by Cow Poke View Post
            Well, I never in my life imagined that one day I might be jeered and verbally assaulted for saying something so benign as "marriage is one man and one woman".
            In light of the recent news re Mozilla, I'm wondering how long until they come storming into the church saying "change your doctrine or shut down"?
            "For I desire mercy, not sacrifice, and acknowledgment of God rather than burnt offerings." Hosea 6:6

Comment

How far away is persecution?
              Micah 6:8 He has told you, O man, what is good; and what does the LORD require of you but to do justice, and to love kindness, and to walk humbly with your God?

Comment

The Mozilla incident is regrettable but absolutely nothing compared to what's going on to Christians in North Korea and Iran.

Comment

The Mozilla incident is regrettable but absolutely nothing compared to what's going on to Christians in North Korea and Iran.
                  I believe this is fallacious. One can always point to "worse" and that doesn't negate other situations.
                  The State. Ideas so good they have to be mandatory.

sigpic

Comment

I don't find the Mozilla issue to be one particularly of Christian persecution but of the death of the ideal of free speech in America, one of the death throes of this nation to be honest. Is Eich a Christian? Nothing I read points in that way, he just happened to agree on this issue, but there are nonChristians or other faiths that do as well.

But there is so much hypocrisy…. because I think Christians would be celebrating (some would) if a homosexual activist was forced out.

This is why a long time ago (with very limited exceptions) I do not support any boycotts as they serve to chill something even more important: freedom of thought and speech.
                    The State. Ideas so good they have to be mandatory.

sigpic

Comment

Originally posted by Dee Dee Warren View Post
                      I believe this is fallacious. One can always point to "worse" and that doesn't negate other situations.
                      My point isn't to minimize the incident; it's to question why we only hear about Christian persecution when these stories come out but we never hear about the Christians being martyrered for their faith around the world. Both should be publicized.

Comment

My point isn't to minimize the incident; it's to question why we only hear about Christian persecution when these stories come out but we never hear about the Christians being martyrered for their faith around the world. Both should be publicized.
                        The reason we don't hear about them in Syria is because Assad is supposed to be the bad guy and the al-qaeda rebels attempting to overthrow his regime are supposed to be the good guys. Point being, in a lot of countries where there is US intelligence and/or military infiltration and activity, broadcasting Christian persecution by radical Muslims might not be politically expedient to US interests. In the case of places like Iran where it would be politically expedient for US to report this, it's probably just the spiritual darkness settling over the US and the fact it lacks any interest on a spiritual level. I would imagine a lot of it is political and a lot of it is spiritual.
                        Last edited by seanD; 04-05-2014, 12:45 PM.

Comment

I don't find the Mozilla issue to be one particularly of Christian persecution but of the death of the ideal of free speech in America, one of the death throes of this nation to be honest.

. . .

But there is so much hypocrisy…. because I think Christians would be celebrating (some would) if a homosexual activist was forced out.
                          Amen, DD. Christians are not immune to hypocrisy.
                          Micah 6:8 He has told you, O man, what is good; and what does the LORD require of you but to do justice, and to love kindness, and to walk humbly with your God?

Comment

Thank you, DD. The difference, of course, is North Korea and Iran have a real low probability of affecting us while this issue is going to eventually. Its like sitting on train tracks in front of an on coming train but being all concerned about a court drama being shown on your iPad. Knowledge of what's going on in the world is good but it also makes it easier to get distracted.

Comment

I don't find the Mozilla issue to be one particularly of Christian persecution but of the death of the ideal of free speech in America, one of the death throes of this nation to be honest. Is Eich a Christian? Nothing I read points in that way, he just happened to agree on this issue, but there are nonChristians or other faiths that do as well.

This is why a long time ago (with very limited exceptions) I do not support any boycotts as they serve to chill something even more important: freedom of thought and speech.
                              I'll agree with you on the free speech issue. It is a sad sign of the death of a nation.

Yes, there is Christian hypocrisy...but does that apply to all Christians? I feel like I'm being tarred with the same brush as a member of Westboro.

My concern though is watching institutions fall with almost no resistance to this take-no-prisoners (I thought this article was a fair reflection of my thinking http://www.bloombergview.com/article...marriage-purge) movement that had rolled through the media, much of the government, and is now rolling into business. The only place left after that is going to be places of worship. American Christians (myself inclusive) are not ready for the hatred that will be dumped on them.

This seems to reinforce my thinking - God won't be reviving his church with revival - its going to be done through persecution. I may expand on this if I can ever put a post together.

Comment

I don't think there is any Christian hypocrisy. I am unaware of any gay CEOs being called upon to step down by Christians.

Comment