Announcement

Collapse

Apologetics 301 Guidelines

If you think this is the area where you tell everyone you are sorry for eating their lunch out of the fridge, it probably isn't the place for you

This forum is open discussion between atheists and all theists to defend and debate their views on religion or non-religion. Please respect that this is a Christian-owned forum and refrain from gratuitous blasphemy. VERY wide leeway is given in range of expression and allowable behavior as compared to other areas of the forum, and moderation is not overly involved unless necessary. Please keep this in mind. Atheists who wish to interact with theists in a way that does not seek to undermine theistic faith may participate in the World Religions Department. Non-debate question and answers and mild and less confrontational discussions can take place in General Theistics.

Forum Rules: Here
See more
See less

Why I'm not an atheist

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by firstfloor View Post
    Before we ask how we prove hypothesis X we need to know what X is. If X is God we need to say exactly what that is and the definition will lead us to a description of the evidence needed to verify that the thing described actually exists. We need to take care that X is sufficiently defined that it cannot be confused for something else.
    Great stuff. Is that how you came to know that minds other than your own exist? Or did you know that other minds existed prior to applying this formula?

I suspect that religions are never so careless as to unveil the thing they pretend to worship.
    Agreed

As are scientists.
    The last Christian left at tweb

Comment

Originally posted by Trout View Post
      Great stuff. Is that how you came to know that minds other than your own exist? Or did you know that other minds existed prior to applying this formula?

Comment

Strictly spearing, a person is directly aware only of his own mind. What he sees in other people is behaviour. Even so, there is a very reasonable consensus that bodies (men and other animals) have minds.
        So the answer is "no" you didn't apply the formula you posted. Thanks. Care to answer the question: What piece of evidence would YOU require to become a theist?

What evidence do you have to support that assertion?

Can you define "wonderland" please?

Do you think humans fly?

Describe this "sense" you speak of. It could be mental illness.

Comment

I suspect that religions are never so careless as to unveil the thing they pretend to worship.
          wow
          The first to state his case seems right until another comes and cross-examines him.

Comment

Good question. What piece of evidence would YOU require to become a theist? Maybe I have that one. Or, maybe I have a different one.
            A ship that you can fold up into your pocket that unfolds into the best of all ships.

Comment

Originally posted by lao tzu View Post
              A ship that you can fold up into your pocket that unfolds into the best of all ships.
              Don't they call that a ship of fools?

Comment

Quoth the free thinking herd member. Trust me when I tell you I'm a skeptic of the highest order.
                Freethinkers, like teenagers, think they have an open mind.
                Micah 6:8 He has told you, O man, what is good; and what does the LORD require of you but to do justice, and to love kindness, and to walk humbly with your God?

Comment

You caught some flies, LT. Have fun with them.
                  Micah 6:8 He has told you, O man, what is good; and what does the LORD require of you but to do justice, and to love kindness, and to walk humbly with your God?

Comment

Don't they call that a ship of fools?
                    You say to-mah-to, I say Skid-blad-nir.

Comment

Originally posted by lao tzu View Post
                      I say Skid-blad-nir.
                      Your arguments are gathering coherence. Bravo.

Comment

Care to answer the question: What piece of evidence would YOU require to become a theist?
                        Last edited by firstfloor; 04-07-2016, 07:27 AM.

Comment

Before we ask how we prove hypothesis X we need to know what X is. . . .
                          I propose that X is the uncaused existence in and of itself. And it does not need any kind of god. Only it can qualify as self existent, nothing else can. The uncaused existence as the base identity for God.

So to say "God does not exist" would be like saying existence does not exist. That part of this problem is solved.
                          . . . the gospel of Christ: for it is the power of God unto salvation to every one that believeth; . . . -- Romans 1:16 KJV

. . . that Christ died for our sins according to the scriptures; And that he was buried, and that he rose again the third day according to the scriptures: . . . -- 1 Corinthians 15:3-4 KJV

Whosoever believeth that Jesus is the Christ is born of God: . . . -- 1 John 5:1 KJV

Comment

By the way, personal experience (of the divine) does not count as evidence in the usual sense because it cannot be shared.
                            while I appreciate the readings from the gospel of evidentialism, I cannot help but feel as though the formula you have posited isn't, in fact, the way you came to know that other minds exist.

Plus, you're also saying that personal experience is the only way to know of something's existence if you're truly an evidentialist. So why would you discount personal experience when that suit doesn't fit?

Comment

while I appreciate the readings from the gospel of evidentialism, I cannot help but feel as though the formula you have posited isn't, in fact, the way you came to know that other minds exist.

Plus, you're also saying that personal experience is the only way to know of something's existence if you're truly an evidentialist. So why would you discount personal experience when that suit doesn't fit?
                              I think we need to consider two kinds (there may be others as well) of personal experience: the sort that is localised in one or a few people at a time and the other that is available to anyone at any time.

The experience of other minds is of the later type and therefore not controversial.

When are you going to get to the hocus pocus?

Comment

Originally posted by 37818 View Post
                                I propose that X is the uncaused existence in and of itself. And it does not need any kind of god. Only it can qualify as self existent, nothing else can. The uncaused existence as the base identity for God.

So to say "God does not exist" would be like saying existence does not exist. That part of this problem is solved.
                                I agree that it is reasonable to suppose that the thing from which our local Universe sprang was eternal.

Comment