Announcement

Collapse

Psychology 101 Guidelines

Welcome to Tweb's couch. Please join us in discussing the joys of the human psyche. Watch in wonderment as the Tweb crowd has violent mood swings. help us understand what makes us tick.

Like everywhere else at Tweb our decorum rules apply.
See more
See less

Pregnancy and.....?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Pregnancy and.....?

So in another thread, I mentioned that pregnant women can be psychotic. It was another context And if you're a woman or a man whose ever been around a pregnant woman (I'm 32 weeks) You've been around a pregnant woman I'm sure you thought at one point was a psycho nut or you thought yourself "am I going crazy?" The answer is yes and no. Pregnancy which develops amazing human life can bring on any range of emotions from mere crankiness to actual psychotic disorders. Some women find themselves in balance and in a lot of control of themselves for the first time, while others have full blown delusions, hallucinations etc, and for one reason. The incredible hormone cascade that allows for tiny humans to grow and develop, also changes the brain, sometimes permanently sometimes temporarily.
    Here's an article from live science that gives a rundown of some of the mood swings that can occur.
    http://www.livescience.com/51043-pre...-emotions.html

A second article here points out to new research regarding mood disorders during pregnancy.
    http://www.thedoctorwillseeyounow.co...h/art3697.html
    A happy family is but an earlier heaven.
    George Bernard Shaw

Small children seem to have a lot of mood swings(temper tantrums, anyone?). Maybe junior is just rubbing off on Mom. Too bad unborn babies can't be dropped off at a artificial womb daycare.
    If it weren't for the Resurrection of Jesus, we'd all be in DEEP TROUBLE!

Comment

This week, I spent some time with my sister, who has a grandson who has been diagnosed with autism. Apparently, it's a very mild form of autism, yet the entire two days centered around "autism". "Oh, he only does that because of his autism"... "he's not really bad, that's just his autism"... "he cried for 6 weeks with separation anxiety about going to school, because of his autism"....

What I'm getting at is that there are most certainly "conditions" and "illnesses" and "hormonal influences" etc.... but do we totally cave to those, and make excuses for our ugly moments? Or do we recognize the problem, and do our best to not be mastered by it?
      The first to state his case seems right until another comes and cross-examines him.

Comment

Originally posted by Cow Poke View Post
        This week, I spent some time with my sister, who has a grandson who has been diagnosed with autism. Apparently, it's a very mild form of autism, yet the entire two days centered around "autism". "Oh, he only does that because of his autism"... "he's not really bad, that's just his autism"... "he cried for 6 weeks with separation anxiety about going to school, because of his autism"....

What I'm getting at is that there are most certainly "conditions" and "illnesses" and "hormonal influences" etc.... but do we totally cave to those, and make excuses for our ugly moments? Or do we recognize the problem, and do our best to not be mastered by it?
        I think we have to recognize our ugly moments and take responsibility for them. Maybe I'm too close to this issue maybe I'm not. I dunno. I will proudly advocate for those who experience mental changes and at the same time I believe that those who are aware of the changes should be doing EVERYTHING in their power to compensate for them. And from personal experience that takes a lot of very very difficult work. My first pregnancy I really was unaware that any changes had taken place and was told that everything I was experiencing was totally normal, including severe panic, suicidal thoughts, thoughts of hurting my baby, Extreme Euphoria, constant crying, and of course I was being abused on top of it. I was told that "prayer would make it all better" by one person I knew and trusted and my husband at the time wanted me to either "get rid of it" via abortion or adoption. Were it not for two very close friends who really were spiritual mentors, and a neurologist who was very very encouraging I'm not sure I would have kept the baby, even though I was a life long "pro-life" advocate. Eventually fast forward, I'm grateful that I had that wonderful support, and my 2nd pregnancy and a better support system, no abuse etc, a loving husband and a recognition of needing certain medications both my 2nd and 3rd pregnancies though they have each carried they're own burdens, having children has been a much more joyous experience. but it has not been without a ton of hard work and the correct choices. So....do I give myself a free pass on my first pregnancy? Probably, I didn't know what was wrong. But I did ultimately have to make the right choices. And its the same with your sister, she'll have to make the right choices to help her grandson correct his behavior, then as he grows it falls on him to continue those choices. Once we know what it is that's affecting us we have to choose to the best of our ability how to compensate. Of course....that isn't always going to be perfect, we are human.
        George Bernard Shaw

Comment

How old is your baby?

Comment

My children are 9, 21 months and I'm 32 weeks with baby 3
            George Bernard Shaw

Comment

Originally posted by Catholicity View Post
              My children are 9, 21 months and I'm 32 weeks with baby 3
              Do you HAVE to wait 6-8 more weeks to hold your youngest? Of course it's best for him/her(forgot your youngest kid's gender) to stay in there for at least 5-6 more weeks. And that's 1-2 months of not changing a newborn's diaper.

Comment