Announcement

Collapse

Newsdesk Guidelines

The NEWSDESK is the area for TheologyWeb news and announcements. This is not a debate area. There will be times when you won't agree with certain official announcements and commentary. If so, do not argue or dispute in this area but take it up in an appropriate area of the forum or by Private Message. Threads may only be started by TheologyWeb leadership, but responses may be posted by the entire community.

General TheologyWeb forum rules: here.
See more
See less

Change your passwords now! Reason ...

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by Outis View Post
    MKUltra.
    or Mercola.

Comment

Originally posted by Sparko View Post
      or Mercola.
      Ha! They have the same phonemes. IT'S ALL A PLOT!

Comment

Originally posted by Irate Canadian View Post
        Here are some tips:
        I wonder... are there really "44 bits of entropy" in such a password? If passwords like this are common, then surely hackers will try word combinations from the dictionary first, lowering the number of combinations to X^4, where X is the number of words in the dictionary. That's much less than 2^44.

Comment

Here is how I set my password. First I take my first name, spell it backwards, convert it to binary and divide by 20 and convert it back to ascii text. Then I add the first and last 2 digits of my social security number, subtract my last 2 digits of my phone number, convert all "a"s into "@" then append my favorite fruit's name and finally, I add in my birth year...

then when I have all that, I set my password to "bacon"

Comment

considering that none of mine are tied to bank credit card or bill activity.....good luck with that.
            A happy family is but an earlier heaven.
            George Bernard Shaw

Comment

Originally posted by RBerman View Post
              I wonder... are there really "44 bits of entropy" in such a password? If passwords like this are common, then surely hackers will try word combinations from the dictionary first, lowering the number of combinations to X^4, where X is the number of words in the dictionary. That's much less than 2^44.
              When I inputted Randal's password,this is the specifications it gave me:
              Length: 19 characters
              Character Combinations: 26
              Calculations Per Second: 4 billion
              Possible Combinations: 766 septillion
              "It's evolution; every time you invent something fool-proof, the world invents a better fool."
              -Unknown

"Preach the gospel, and if necessary use words." - Most likely St.Francis

I find that evolution is the best proof of God.
              ---------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
              I support the :
              sigpic

Comment

Here are some tips:
                The only problem with that one has always been the people who thought: that's a good idea, and then set their password to "correct horse battery staple"
                Be watchful, stand firm in the faith, act like men, be strong.
                1 Corinthians 16:13

"...he [Doherty] is no historian and he is not even conversant with the historical discussions of the very matters he wants to pontificate on."
                -Ben Witherington III

Comment

When I inputted Randal's password,this is the specifications it gave me:
                  Length: 19 characters
                  Character Combinations: 26
                  Calculations Per Second: 4 billion
                  Possible Combinations: 766 septillion
                  However, the tool you're using is measuring letter combinations. RBerman is correct as far as word combinations: a brute-force dictionary attack would be problematically easy, because of the relative ease of dictionary attacks.

And as Randall notes in the alt text, if the attacker can get the hash table, it's even easier.

Comment

However, the tool you're using is measuring letter combinations. RBerman is correct as far as word combinations: a brute-force dictionary attack would be problematically easy, because of the relative ease of dictionary attacks.

And as Randall notes in the alt text, if the attacker can get the hash table, it's even easier.
                    I think a much better password would be to think of an easy to remember sentence or phrase, then take the first letter of each word for the password, and stick a couple of numbers at the beginning or end. Then to anyone else it is just a random alphanumeric password, but easy for you to remember.

Comment

Originally posted by RBerman View Post
                      On the contrary, most dictionaries have far more than 2^11 = 2048 words.

Comment

Originally posted by Cow Poke View Post
                        my password is *********

I'm not changing it.
                        Like the old joke about the little kid running up to his older siblings and saying "I know what Daddy's password is. It's asterisk, asterisk, asterisk, asterisk, asterisk."

I'm always still in trouble again

"You're by far the worst poster on TWeb" and "TWeb's biggest liar" --starlight (the guy who says Stalin was a right-winger)
                        "Overall I would rate the withdrawal from Afghanistan as by far the best thing Biden's done" --Starlight
                        "Of course, human life begins at fertilization that’s not the argument." --Tassman

Comment

Originally posted by Sparko View Post
                          let me guess. all of your passwords are now "Grassy Knoll" right?
                          Or "anti-vac"

I'm always still in trouble again

"You're by far the worst poster on TWeb" and "TWeb's biggest liar" --starlight (the guy who says Stalin was a right-winger)
                          "Overall I would rate the withdrawal from Afghanistan as by far the best thing Biden's done" --Starlight
                          "Of course, human life begins at fertilization that’s not the argument." --Tassman

Comment

That's true as far as hash tables created with MD5 hashing. If the group that lost the hash table used something like the BCrypt algorithm, it would take a long,long time to crack the hashes. The problem is most sites use MD5 to store passwords and that allows hackers to easily crack passwords as soon as they get the hash table.
                            "It's evolution; every time you invent something fool-proof, the world invents a better fool."
                            -Unknown

---------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
                            I support the :
                            sigpic

Comment

That's true as far as hash tables created with MD5 hashing. If the group that lost the hash table used something like the BCrypt algorithm, it would take a long,long time to crack the hashes. The problem is most sites use MD5 to store passwords and that allows hackers to easily crack passwords as soon as they get the hash table.
                              True, but how many pre-packaged websites use BCrypt? Even VB uses MD5, if I remember correctly, and folks like me simply don't have the coding know-how to substitute a better cypher suite.

Comment

True, but how many pre-packaged websites use BCrypt? Even VB uses MD5, if I remember correctly, and folks like me simply don't have the coding know-how to substitute a better cypher suite.
                                There are so many libraries out there using BCrypt. The problem is people aren't willing to hash passwords properly.
                                -Unknown

I support the :
                                sigpic

Comment