Announcement

Collapse

Archeology 201 Guidelines

If Indiana Jones happened to be a member of Tweb, this is where he'd hang out.

Welcome to the Archeology forum. Were you out doing some gardening and dug up a relic from the distant past? would you like to know more about Ancient Egypt? Did you think Memphis was actually a city in Tennessee?

Well, for the answers to those and other burning questions you've found the right digs.

Our forum rules apply here too, if you haven't read them now is the time.

Forum Rules: Here
See more
See less

who darkened Sinaiticus? - antiquity or modern? - Sinaiticus problematicus

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• who darkened Sinaiticus? - antiquity or modern? - Sinaiticus problematicus

Hi,

We have learned much about Codex Sinaiticus since the superb work of the Codex Sinaiticus Project in 2009 placed the manuscript online. We have been able to see the united manuscript digitally online (most of the ms, 347 leaves, is today at the British Library, 43 leaves are in Leipzig, small parts are in St. Petersburg and St. Cathrine's monastery.) And we can see the superb condition of the ms. in a video put out by the BBC, flexible, supple, in great shape.

This was the first reuniting of the manscript, digitally, before that people rarely viewed both sections. We have learned that the evidence supports the accusations made around 1862-1864 that the manuscript had been coloured by hand in the 1850s. That means simply the British portion from 1859 is a variable yellow, while the Leipzig portion which left Sinai in 1844 is white parchment. The white parchment is itself a huge anomaly, since manuscripts yellow from age and use, and this ms. is purported to be 1650 years old with a 1,000+ years of use. The means of colouring was said to be lemon-juice, in order to give the appearance of being "yellow with age." Interestingly, we can easily see the contrast between the "white parchment" leaves in Leipzig that left Sinai in 1844 before the colouring and the British pages in a composite picture.

There is much about Codex Sinaiticus that says ... modern production. I encourage all individuals interested in the accuracy of our Bible heritage and the integrity of modern scholarship to really research the information, which is easy to find online.

(As a light poster here over the years, sort of a newbie since my older name is not working, I am not sure of the url posting limitations.)

Thanks for your consideration, happy to consider feedback, comments and questions!

Steven Avery
    Dutchess County, NY
    Last edited by Steven Avery; 04-12-2016, 11:16 AM.

Moderated By: rogue06

Moved to a better home

***If you wish to take issue with this notice DO NOT do so in this thread.***
    Contact the forum moderator or an administrator in Private Message or email instead. If you feel you must publicly complain or whine, please take it to the Padded Room unless told otherwise.

I'm always still in trouble again

"You're by far the worst poster on TWeb" and "TWeb's biggest liar" --starlight (the guy who says Stalin was a right-winger)
    "Overall I would rate the withdrawal from Afghanistan as by far the best thing Biden's done" --Starlight
    "Of course, human life begins at fertilization that’s not the argument." --Tassman

Comment