Announcement

Collapse

Natural Science 301 Guidelines

This is an open forum area for all members for discussions on all issues of science and origins. This area will and does get volatile at times, but we ask that it be kept to a dull roar, and moderators will intervene to keep the peace if necessary. This means obvious trolling and flaming that becomes a problem will be dealt with, and you might find yourself in the doghouse.

As usual, Tweb rules apply. If you haven't read them now would be a good time.

Forum Rules: Here
See more
See less

Stripey Women and Calico Cats

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Stripey Women and Calico Cats

What do women and calico cats have in common?

"When a female embryo is four days old it consists of just 100 cells. At this point the x-chromosome from Mom and the one from Dad are both active. But in order for proper development to occur, one of the x chromosomes must be switched off.

Through a tiny molecular battle within each cell, one of the x-chromosomes wins and remains active while the loser is deactivated.

This is done by wrapping the DNA tighter around proteins, modifying histone tails, and DNA methylation - molecular markers to indicate this DNA should not be read.

What's surprising is that it's pretty random which x chromosome wins - sometimes it's Mom's and sometimes it's Dad's. So when a female is just 100 cells big, her cells have a mix of active x-chromosomes, some from Mom and some from Dad."
    ---

""The mutation that gives male cats a ginger-colored coat and females ginger, tortoiseshell, or calico coats produced a particularly telling map. The orange mutant gene is found only on the X, or female, chromosome. As with humans, female cats have paired sex chromosomes, XX, and male cats have XY sex chromosomes. The female cat, therefore, can have the orange mutant gene on one X chromosome and the gene for a black coat on the other." wiki.

Originally posted by Sparko View Post
    What do women and calico cats have in common?
    "What gender is my neighbour's tortoiseshell cat" is a great pub quiz question.

Roy
    Jorge: Functional Complex Information is INFORMATION that is complex and functional.

MM: First of all, the Bible is a fixed document.
    MM on covid-19: We're talking about an illness with a better than 99.9% rate of survival.

seer: I believe that so called 'compassion' [for starving Palestinian kids] maybe a cover for anti Semitism, ...

Comment

It explains why both women and cats are crazy.

Comment

Don't say that to the lady in the picture on the left - she is no fool.

Comment

I miss having tabby/tortoiseshell cats; they've all be bred out of the local gene pool.

Comment

Originally posted by Duragizer View Post
            I miss having tabby/tortoiseshell cats; they've all be bred out of the local gene pool.
            Go get yourself a stripey woman.

Comment

Torties are common here. My cats sisters were all torties. The three litter males were all orange tabbies. I have no pictures of the sisters but here is Buddy a classic orange male20160225_070140.jpg
              A happy family is but an earlier heaven.
              George Bernard Shaw

Comment

What's weird is that the active X-chromosome is then upregulated in order to compensate for the lack of two active chromosomes.

Another amazing phenomenon is genomic imprinting: some of the genes you have are only expressed from your mother's side, and some only from your father's side. What's more incredible is that this is isn't random but is the same generation after generation; the same genes will be expressed only from the mother or the father. Some diseases are linked to this: Prader-Willi syndrome, Angleman syndrome, etc.

Comment

Originally posted by Duragizer View Post
                  They are?
                  Watch your links! http://www.theologyweb.com/campus/fa...corumetiquette

Comment

Local to Duragizer's area I expect.
                    Micah 6:8 He has told you, O man, what is good; and what does the LORD require of you but to do justice, and to love kindness, and to walk humbly with your God?

Comment

I was referring to my pet cats. Too many of the tabbies & torties died or disappeared before they could reproduce, so now I only have black and gray cats (I used to have white cats also, but they, too, seem to have befallen the same fate.).

Comment