Page 1 of 4 123 ... LastLast
Results 1 to 10 of 37

Thread: Honey bee season

  1. #1
    Theologyweb's Official Grandfather Jedidiah's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jan 2014
    Location
    Peter's Creek, Alaska
    Faith
    Christian
    Gender
    Male
    Posts
    10,647
    Amen (Given)
    16502
    Amen (Received)
    5627

    Honey bee season

    I lost 3 our of 4 hives

    I should be glad. In years gone by I rarely got any through the winter. Last year I got 2 out of 3 through. There was at least one goof which I have to take responsibility for. but still

    I have all the equipment cleaned up and ready to put new bees in. My new packages will arrive in the next few days.

    The fun is about to begin.
    Micah 6:8 He has told you, O man, what is good; and what does the LORD require of you but to do justice, and to love kindness, and to walk humbly with your God?

  2. Amen mossrose, Cow Poke amen'd this post.
  3. #2
    Oops....... mossrose's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jan 2014
    Faith
    slave & child of Christ
    Gender
    Female
    Posts
    15,424
    Amen (Given)
    11272
    Amen (Received)
    6453
    Too bad about the lost hives, Jed. But glad you are ready to go for the new season.

    I haven't seen any bees around yet. There isn't much leafing out and certainly no blooms yet, though, so that's likely a good thing.



    Securely anchored to the Rock amid every storm of trial, testing or tribulation.

  4. #3
    Troll Magnet Sparko's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jan 2014
    Faith
    Christian
    Gender
    Male
    Posts
    32,300
    Amen (Given)
    2765
    Amen (Received)
    15945
    jed I was just watching a tv show about bees. they said the bees collect enough nectar to last the hive through the winter. so ai was wondering... if people collect their honey, how do the bees have enough to eat through the winter?

  5. #4
    Theologyweb's Official Grandfather Jedidiah's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jan 2014
    Location
    Peter's Creek, Alaska
    Faith
    Christian
    Gender
    Male
    Posts
    10,647
    Amen (Given)
    16502
    Amen (Received)
    5627
    Quote Originally Posted by Sparko View Post
    jed I was just watching a tv show about bees. they said the bees collect enough nectar to last the hive through the winter. so ai was wondering... if people collect their honey, how do the bees have enough to eat through the winter?
    Two ways.

    One can either just harvest the excess, as bees keep putting it away and store up much more than they need.

    Or you can do what I have been doing, take most of their honey and feed them sugar syrup which they then use to make a honey substitute. I am working on moving from the second to the first. Problem is I have to reliably be able to get my bees through the long Alaskan winter first, because I have to sell honey to get money to replace my bees if they don't survive. Long story.
    Micah 6:8 He has told you, O man, what is good; and what does the LORD require of you but to do justice, and to love kindness, and to walk humbly with your God?

  6. #5
    Troll Magnet Sparko's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jan 2014
    Faith
    Christian
    Gender
    Male
    Posts
    32,300
    Amen (Given)
    2765
    Amen (Received)
    15945
    Quote Originally Posted by Jedidiah View Post
    Two ways.

    One can either just harvest the excess, as bees keep putting it away and store up much more than they need.

    Or you can do what I have been doing, take most of their honey and feed them sugar syrup which they then use to make a honey substitute. I am working on moving from the second to the first. Problem is I have to reliably be able to get my bees through the long Alaskan winter first, because I have to sell honey to get money to replace my bees if they don't survive. Long story.
    interesting story though.

    This year I haven't seen many honey bees in my yard, just wasps and a couple of bumblebees. I think the wasps are keeping them away.

  7. #6
    Theologyweb's Official Grandfather Jedidiah's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jan 2014
    Location
    Peter's Creek, Alaska
    Faith
    Christian
    Gender
    Male
    Posts
    10,647
    Amen (Given)
    16502
    Amen (Received)
    5627
    Quote Originally Posted by Sparko View Post
    interesting story though.

    This year I haven't seen many honey bees in my yard, just wasps and a couple of bumblebees. I think the wasps are keeping them away.
    Wasps and honeybees are not normally competitors. With some unusual exceptions. Wasps are carnivorous and honeybees eat only nectar and pollen.
    Micah 6:8 He has told you, O man, what is good; and what does the LORD require of you but to do justice, and to love kindness, and to walk humbly with your God?

  8. #7
    Troll Magnet Sparko's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jan 2014
    Faith
    Christian
    Gender
    Male
    Posts
    32,300
    Amen (Given)
    2765
    Amen (Received)
    15945
    Quote Originally Posted by Jedidiah View Post
    Wasps and honeybees are not normally competitors. With some unusual exceptions. Wasps are carnivorous and honeybees eat only nectar and pollen.
    really? The wasps in my yard are hitting on the flowers. Don't they make honey for their nests too?

  9. #8
    Theologyweb's Official Grandfather Jedidiah's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jan 2014
    Location
    Peter's Creek, Alaska
    Faith
    Christian
    Gender
    Male
    Posts
    10,647
    Amen (Given)
    16502
    Amen (Received)
    5627
    Quote Originally Posted by Sparko View Post
    really? The wasps in my yard are hitting on the flowers. Don't they make honey for their nests too?
    No they do not make any honey. When on the flowers they will likely be looking for small bugs. I have seen them collecting nectar in the fall, but only for immediate energy - not to make honey.
    Micah 6:8 He has told you, O man, what is good; and what does the LORD require of you but to do justice, and to love kindness, and to walk humbly with your God?

  10. #9
    Troll Magnet Sparko's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jan 2014
    Faith
    Christian
    Gender
    Male
    Posts
    32,300
    Amen (Given)
    2765
    Amen (Received)
    15945
    Quote Originally Posted by Jedidiah View Post
    No they do not make any honey. When on the flowers they will likely be looking for small bugs. I have seen them collecting nectar in the fall, but only for immediate energy - not to make honey.
    so they actually serve a purpose to keep bugs off of my plants? Nice. I guess I won't mess with them like I planned to. Just keep them away from my front and back doors.

  11. Amen Jedidiah amen'd this post.
  12. #10
    40th Mojave Summer DesertBerean's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jan 2014
    Location
    Barstow, CA
    Faith
    Christian
    Gender
    Female
    Posts
    5,430
    Amen (Given)
    4419
    Amen (Received)
    1613
    And keep yourself away from them. They can hurt, and they don't lose their stingers!

  13. Amen Jedidiah, Cerebrum123 amen'd this post.

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •