Announcement

Collapse

Philosophy 201 Guidelines

Cogito ergo sum

Here in the Philosophy forum we will talk about all the "why" questions. We'll have conversations about the way in which philosophy and theology and religion interact with each other. Metaphysics, ontology, origins, truth? They're all fair game so jump right in and have some fun! But remember...play nice!

Forum Rules: Here
See more
See less

Universal nature of liberal experience

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by metacrock View Post
    But not the experience itself. that's what is crucial. Since religion is cultural the unanimity of experience can't be an accident or based on brain structure. it can only be that there is an objective thing experienced,. it doesn't matter how we define it.
    So what? What they experience they experience, what is responsible for that experience is a wholly different matter. The reason that there would be unanimity of experience is because those having the experiences are all human beings. When people pratice meditation, they all have similar experiences, transformative experiences, and that is because that is what the practice of meditation brings about in those who practice it, not because there is an objective thing being experienced.

Comment

Originally posted by JimL View Post
      So what? What they experience they experience, what is responsible for that experience is a wholly different matter. The reason that there would be unanimity of experience is because those having the experiences are all human beings. When people pratice meditation, they all have similar experiences, transformative experiences, and that is because that is what the practice of meditation brings about in those who practice it, not because there is an objective thing being experienced.
      do you know what a construct is? when I say religion is a cultural construct that means it's not genetic. they can't have religious experiences shaped by their genes because it's not generic, so if they experience the same things that means they experiencing a real thing outsider their heads
      Metacrock's Blog

The Religious a priori: apologetics for 21st ccentury

The Trace of God by Joseph Hinman

Comment

If that was true they would not have tht commonality, the experience itself is not related to doctrine and it's quite common for experience to contradict doctrine. I cover that in the book.
        wider realityhigher reality, which is more compatible with the Christian and Islamic traditions.

http://onlinelibrary.wiley.com/doi/1...10.01508.x/pdf

Comment

Originally posted by Tassman View Post
          wider realityhigher reality, which is more compatible with the Christian and Islamic traditions.

http://onlinelibrary.wiley.com/doi/1...10.01508.x/pdf
          so you finally decided to read something. that's of the universal stuff I'm talking about so that doesn't change my argument but rather backs it.
          Metacrock's Blog

The Religious a priori: apologetics for 21st ccentury

The Trace of God by Joseph Hinman

Comment

so you finally decided to read something. that's of the universal stuff I'm talking about so that doesn't change my argument but rather backs it.
            Well actually, I linked to this study much earlier. The "argument it backs" is mine, namely that the interpretation of these experiences are informed by social acculturation, not divine inspiration (although that's often how they're perceived). There's good evidence for the former and none for the latter.

Comment