Announcement

Collapse

Amphitheater Guidelines

In the Amphitheater we sit back and share a good song, offer a movie review, discuss sports, or anything in entertainment and family enjoyment.

If you need to refresh yourself on the decorum, now would be a good time.

Forum Rules: here
Steam Group: here

Thanks!
See more
See less

Favorite classical music piece?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Pachelbel's Canon was probably the last recital piece I played. The arrangement wasn't horrifically difficult, but included the entire piece from front to back, with the piano playing and imitating each string. Without a duet this is rather difficult to accomplish, but it was rewarding. As for Rhapsody in Blue, I REALLY REALLY like it..... A lot.
    A happy family is but an earlier heaven.
    George Bernard Shaw

Comment

Originally posted by Catholicity View Post
      Pachelbel's Canon was probably the last recital piece I played. The arrangement wasn't horrifically difficult, but included the entire piece from front to back, with the piano playing and imitating each string. Without a duet this is rather difficult to accomplish, but it was rewarding. As for Rhapsody in Blue, I REALLY REALLY like it..... A lot.
      Rhapsody in Blue was commissioned for a concert, which Gershwin forgot about until he saw a newspaper ad for the concert. The piano part, played by Gershwin, was mostly improv for the first performance, because he didn't have time to get it all written down.
      Enter the Church and wash away your sins. For here there is a hospital and not a court of law. Do not be ashamed to enter the Church; be ashamed when you sin, but not when you repent. – St. John Chrysostom

Veritas vos Liberabit<>< Learn Greek <>< Look here for an Orthodox Church in America<><Ancient Faith Radio
      sigpic
      I recommend you do not try too hard and ...research as little as possible. Such weighty things give me a headache. - Shunyadragon, Baha'i apologist

Comment

Originally posted by One Bad Pig View Post
        Rhapsody in Blue was commissioned for a concert, which Gershwin forgot about until he saw a newspaper ad for the concert. The piano part, played by Gershwin, was mostly improv for the first performance, because he didn't have time to get it all written down.
        Which goes to show: With a lifetime of practice, your improvs can be better than some people's prepared work. I am a much bigger believer in acquired skill than innate talent.

Comment

Originally posted by RBerman View Post
          Which goes to show: With a lifetime of practice, your improvs can be better than some people's prepared work. I am a much bigger believer in acquired skill than innate talent.
          I dunno, I think composition/improvisation is more innate talent than anything else, even if it takes effort to develop it. Rachmaninov could play anything on the piano he'd heard once; while he had to acquire the skill of playing the piano, it takes innate talent to do something like that. Also, some people have the innate talent to pick up a certain skill more quickly than others. It took my father (who can play pretty much any instrument) about 15 minutes to figure out how to play an accordion, and he thought that it was a difficult instrument to learn.
          Enter the Church and wash away your sins. For here there is a hospital and not a court of law. Do not be ashamed to enter the Church; be ashamed when you sin, but not when you repent. – St. John Chrysostom

Veritas vos Liberabit<>< Learn Greek <>< Look here for an Orthodox Church in America<><Ancient Faith Radio
          sigpic
          I recommend you do not try too hard and ...research as little as possible. Such weighty things give me a headache. - Shunyadragon, Baha'i apologist

Comment

Originally posted by One Bad Pig View Post
            I dunno, I think composition/improvisation is more innate talent than anything else, even if it takes effort to develop it. Rachmaninov could play anything on the piano he'd heard once; while he had to acquire the skill of playing the piano, it takes innate talent to do something like that. Also, some people have the innate talent to pick up a certain skill more quickly than others. It took my father (who can play pretty much any instrument) about 15 minutes to figure out how to play an accordion, and he thought that it was a difficult instrument to learn.
            Skills are additive. The more different instruments you can play, the more skills you bring to learn a new instrument more quickly. Rachmaninoff was exposed to music from infancy, started piano lessons in pre-K, and was studying piano full time by age 10, so he got his "10,000 hours" in quite young. My son is eleven and just instinctively harmonizes any music he hears playing. He developed that skill by being constantly exposed to music by me, and hearing harmonizing. As a result, he's already played the major child roles in pro-am productions of Les Miserables and Ragtime. On the other hand, he can't play basketball well compared to many his age, because he hasn't put in the hours.

That's not to say biology is irrelevant, especially where physical prowess is concerned. Some people are just shaped like football players, or basketball stars, or ballerinas.

Comment

Originally posted by RBerman View Post
              Skills are additive. The more different instruments you can play, the more skills you bring to learn a new instrument more quickly. Rachmaninoff was exposed to music from infancy, started piano lessons in pre-K, and was studying piano full time by age 10, so he got his "10,000 hours" in quite young. My son is eleven and just instinctively harmonizes any music he hears playing. He developed that skill by being constantly exposed to music by me, and hearing harmonizing. As a result, he's already played the major child roles in pro-am productions of Les Miserables and Ragtime. On the other hand, he can't play basketball well compared to many his age, because he hasn't put in the hours.

That's not to say biology is irrelevant, especially where physical prowess is concerned. Some people are just shaped like football players, or basketball stars, or ballerinas.
              It's not just physical prowess; sports requires coordination and fast-twitch muscles (and there's a mental aspect as well) which no end of working out will fix. People have varying levels of aptitude for different subjects. I knew a guy in high school who was a whiz at fixing electronics and was a good trombone player, but struggled with learning math and English (he had to take summer school to pass grades 9-12). And some people are tone deaf, which makes anything musical rather more difficult.

sigpic

Comment

Anyone here familiar with Leroy Southers?
                Micah 6:8 He has told you, O man, what is good; and what does the LORD require of you but to do justice, and to love kindness, and to walk humbly with your God?

Comment

I take it no one is familiar with Leroy Southers, composer.
                  Micah 6:8 He has told you, O man, what is good; and what does the LORD require of you but to do justice, and to love kindness, and to walk humbly with your God?

Comment

Ain't no one mentioned Der Erlkonig yet?

Comment

I'm probably a sucker for songs that can tell a story. Iterating on a theme, like Pachelbel's Canon, is all well and good, but a direction and willingness to experiment outside of your central theme is always appreciated:

Comment

And while everyone loves the Big Bach, don't forget his little brother for producing this finger-twister:

Comment

But a lot of this is just showing off, I'll grant. It's also time to remind you people that I do play certain videogames for a reason, and one of them is Hitoshi Sakimoto:

Note: 1 video per post limit is why I had to break this up into 4 parts, plz include videos of all your selections if possible so we can judge your taste, or lack thereof.

Comment

Believer - Dies Irae

sigpic

Comment