Announcement

Collapse

Anthropology 201 Guidelines

Anthropology is the study of groups of people, their beliefs, practices, values, ideas, technologies, languages, economies and more.

All are welcome to post in this section, even Geico Cavemen.

A couple of caveats-- (1) racism has no place in this forum, and (2) please show a little discretion. In other words, if an attachment violates policy on the rest of TWEB, it violates policy in this forum as well, even if it depicts a highly interesting and unique aspect of some obscure culture. Keep it reasonably clean, folks.

Forum Rules: Here
See more
See less

The first Clovis burial found of one year old infant.

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• The first Clovis burial found of one year old infant.

Recent important Clovis discovery reveals some things about the origins and ancestors.

Originally posted by http://www.kqed.org/news/story/2014/02/13/133853/anthropology.tamu.edu/html/profile--michaelwaters.html

Ancient DNA Ties Native Americans From Two Continents To Clovis

The mysterious Clovis culture, which appeared in North America about 13,000 years ago, appears to be the forerunner of Native Americans throughout the Americas, according to a study in Nature. Scientists have read the genetic sequence of a baby from a Clovis burial site in Montana to help fill out the story of the earliest Americans.

Until now, archaeologists have had to rely mainly on tools made of stone and bone, and other artifacts to tell the story of human migration about 15,000 years ago to the new world.

Now that story is bolstered with some dramatic, ancient DNA, extracted from the remains of a 1-year-old boy who died in present-day Montana more than 12,000 years ago.

That's the only human skeleton known from a brief but prolific culture in the Americas called Clovis.

"Clovis is what we like to refer to as an 'archaeological complex,' " says Michael Waters, an archaeologist at Texas A&M University. That complex is defined by characteristic tools, he says.

The Clovis artifacts were common for about 400 years, starting about 13,000 years ago. But at this point, there is only one set of human remains associated with those sorts of tools: that of the baby from Montana.

"So this genetic study actually provides us with a look at who these people were," Waters says.

The most obvious conclusion from the study is that the Clovis people who lived on the Anzick site in Montana were genetically very much like Native Americans throughout the Western Hemisphere.

"The Anzick family is directly ancestral to so many peoples in the Americas," says Eske Willerslev, from the University of Copenhagen. "That's astonishing!"

He led the effort to read that genome. The genes reveal that early Americans are the product of two lineages that most likely met and interbred in Asia before making the trek across the Bering land bridge.

"So this strongly suggests that there was a single migration of people into the Americas," Waters says. "And these people were probably the people who eventually gave rise to Clovis."

The finding contradicts a long-shot hypothesis that Clovis' ancestors actually came from Europe, not Asia. But it leaves many other questions about Clovis unresolved.
    Glendower: I can call spirits from the vasty deep.
    Hotspur: Why, so can I, or so can any man;
    But will they come when you do call for them? Shakespeare’s Henry IV, Part 1, Act III:

go with the flow the river knows . . .

Frank

I do not know, therefore everything is in pencil.

I am not sure I understand how this suggests a single migration of people into the Americas, as opposed to a series of migrations by the same Asian ancestors.
    Micah 6:8 He has told you, O man, what is good; and what does the LORD require of you but to do justice, and to love kindness, and to walk humbly with your God?

Comment

Originally posted by Jedidiah View Post
      I am not sure I understand how this suggests a single migration of people into the Americas, as opposed to a series of migrations by the same Asian ancestors.
      I am not sure how the came to this conclusion, but I think their conclusion was based on genetic research on bones from burials of a similar age in Asia. I consider the sea route still a viable alternative.
      But will they come when you do call for them? Shakespeare’s Henry IV, Part 1, Act III:

Frank

Comment

But, they are Jewish Lamanites, aren't they?

Sorry Frank. Couldn't help myself...
        That's what
        - She

Without a clear-cut definition of sin, morality becomes a mere argument over the best way to train animals
        - Manya the Holy Szin (The Quintara Marathon)

I may not be as old as dirt, but me and dirt are starting to have an awful lot in common
        - Stephen R. Donaldson

Comment

This doesn't rule out later migrations from Asia or Europe, but does eliminate the possibility that the Clovis culture, specifically, had European ancestry.

Comment

Originally posted by Outis View Post
            This doesn't rule out later migrations from Asia or Europe, but does eliminate the possibility that the Clovis culture, specifically, had European ancestry.
            That European bit never had more than a fringe acceptance did it?
            Micah 6:8 He has told you, O man, what is good; and what does the LORD require of you but to do justice, and to love kindness, and to walk humbly with your God?

Comment

That European bit never had more than a fringe acceptance did it?
              It was a bone of contention for years, and if it was only a fringe contention, the fringe in this case was pretty darn loud.

Comment

Originally posted by Outis View Post
                I have to check on this, but I believe the Asian origins are more Siberian then Eurasian genetically. They were not the first nor the only immigrants from Eurasian. About 80% of all Native Americans share Clovis DNA. but it is still mixed with other Eurasian immigrants.

http://www.bloomberg.com/news/2014-0...americans.html
                Last edited by shunyadragon; 02-28-2014, 12:18 PM.

Frank

Comment

When I first saw the thread title, I thought it was going to be about my ancestor Clovis, founder of the Merovivngian Dynasty!
                  βλέπομεν γὰρ ἄρτι δι᾿ ἐσόπτρου ἐν αἰνίγματι, τότε δὲ πρόσωπον πρὸς πρόσωπον·
                  ἄρτι γινώσκω ἐκ μέρους, τότε δὲ ἐπιγνώσομαι καθὼς καὶ ἐπεγνώσθην.

אָכֵ֕ן אַתָּ֖ה אֵ֣ל מִסְתַּתֵּ֑ר אֱלֹהֵ֥י יִשְׂרָאֵ֖ל מוֹשִֽׁיעַ׃

Comment

Originally posted by robrecht View Post
                    When I first saw the thread title, I thought it was going to be about my ancestor Clovis, founder of the Merovivngian Dynasty!
                    Wrong Clovis ... unless he had a hobby of making flint arrowheads.

Comment

My ancestor, the Merovingian will rule the world and I will be the Emperor. Frank of the Franks.

Frank

Comment

Originally posted by shunyadragon View Post
                        My ancestor, the Merovingian will rule the world and I will be the Emperor. Frank of the Franks.
                        We're related!

Comment

We're related!
                          So if I hit either of you with the phrase "May I be frank with you?" you'll get the pun.

I should be ashamed of myself. Frankly.

Comment

You could never be Frank. He's special. Has his own unique haecceitas.

Comment

We're related!
                              One of my ancestors was a member of the royal house of the Franks.

Frank of the Franks

Frank

Comment

widgetinstance 221 (Related Threads) skipped due to lack of content & hide_module_if_empty option.
                              Working...
                              X