Announcement

Collapse

Anthropology 201 Guidelines

Anthropology is the study of groups of people, their beliefs, practices, values, ideas, technologies, languages, economies and more.

All are welcome to post in this section, even Geico Cavemen.

A couple of caveats-- (1) racism has no place in this forum, and (2) please show a little discretion. In other words, if an attachment violates policy on the rest of TWEB, it violates policy in this forum as well, even if it depicts a highly interesting and unique aspect of some obscure culture. Keep it reasonably clean, folks.

Forum Rules: Here
See more
See less

The first Clovis burial found of one year old infant.

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by shunyadragon View Post
    One of my ancestors was a member of the royal house of the Franks.

Frank of the Franks
    How much do you know about him? I'll ask my grandparents what they recall.
    βλέπομεν γὰρ ἄρτι δι᾿ ἐσόπτρου ἐν αἰνίγματι, τότε δὲ πρόσωπον πρὸς πρόσωπον·
    ἄρτι γινώσκω ἐκ μέρους, τότε δὲ ἐπιγνώσομαι καθὼς καὶ ἐπεγνώσθην.

אָכֵ֕ן אַתָּ֖ה אֵ֣ל מִסְתַּתֵּ֑ר אֱלֹהֵ֥י יִשְׂרָאֵ֖ל מוֹשִֽׁיעַ׃

Comment

Originally posted by Jedidiah View Post
      I am not sure I understand how this suggests a single migration of people into the Americas, as opposed to a series of migrations by the same Asian ancestors.
      Ancestry. It's the same way we establish cladistics in evolution. Certain sequences and features exist across multiple groups. Those same features and sequences do not exist in other groups. Hence, the features and sequences arose after a split occurred. If they had arisen before, they would be present in both lineages barring a loss of such features later (which we can still track).

A good example of this is the GULO gene which is responsible for making Vitamin C in mammals. Primates (including humans) share a broken GULO gene and cannot produce their own. Guinea pigs also have a broken gene, but it's broken in a different spot. The GULO gene shows up in all mammals, though, indicating it came first. It's only after populations split off that the gene was mutated/broken later. That's why primates all have the same broken gene and guinea pigs have a differently broken gene.
      I'm not here anymore.

Comment

Originally posted by robrecht View Post
        How much do you know about him? I'll ask my grandparents what they recall.
        You would have to back a few+ more generations. All I know is that when things got uncomfortable in France he ducked out and headed to Ireland.
        Glendower: I can call spirits from the vasty deep.
        Hotspur: Why, so can I, or so can any man;
        But will they come when you do call for them? Shakespeare’s Henry IV, Part 1, Act III:

go with the flow the river knows . . .

Frank

I do not know, therefore everything is in pencil.

Comment

Originally posted by shunyadragon View Post
          You would have to back a few+ more generations. All I know is that when things got uncomfortable in France he ducked out and headed to Ireland.
          We stuck around until Cardinal Richelieu started chopping our heads off, then we escaped to Haiti. During the slave rebellion there, two children were smuggled into New Orleans in barrels without their parents. Eventually, my ancestors made their way to Kentucky. When I was living with the Capuchins in Paris to learn French, I announced the fact that I was descended from French nobility, and they were all aghast that an American would make such an obviously false claim. Kentucky, of all places! I assured them that they should not worry, that my relatives had done quite well in America, actually winning an award at a Kentucky state fair for raising hogs. One of them, a librarian at the Bibliothèque nationale de France, actually tried to prove that my particular line had actually died out. But there I was. I was very happy to let them know that we were still around and ready to serve France again as their leaders if ever the need should arise.
          βλέπομεν γὰρ ἄρτι δι᾿ ἐσόπτρου ἐν αἰνίγματι, τότε δὲ πρόσωπον πρὸς πρόσωπον·
          ἄρτι γινώσκω ἐκ μέρους, τότε δὲ ἐπιγνώσομαι καθὼς καὶ ἐπεγνώσθην.

אָכֵ֕ן אַתָּ֖ה אֵ֣ל מִסְתַּתֵּ֑ר אֱלֹהֵ֥י יִשְׂרָאֵ֖ל מוֹשִֽׁיעַ׃

Comment

Originally posted by robrecht View Post
            We stuck around until Cardinal Richelieu started chopping our heads off, then we escaped to Haiti. During the slave rebellion there, two children were smuggled into New Orleans in barrels without their parents. Eventually, my ancestors made their way to Kentucky. When I was living with the Capuchins in Paris to learn French, I announced the fact that I was descended from French nobility, and they were all aghast that an American would make such an obviously false claim. Kentucky, of all places! I assured them that they should not worry, that my relatives had done quite well in America, actually winning an award at a Kentucky state fair for raising hogs. One of them, a librarian at the Bibliothèque nationale de France, actually tried to prove that my particular line had actually died out. But there I was. I was very happy to let them know that we were still around and ready to serve France again as their leaders if ever the need should arise.
            were likely distant cousins of a sort. I will try ad look up his name.
            Last edited by shunyadragon; 03-02-2014, 05:52 PM.
            Glendower: I can call spirits from the vasty deep.
            Hotspur: Why, so can I, or so can any man;
            But will they come when you do call for them? Shakespeare’s Henry IV, Part 1, Act III:

go with the flow the river knows . . .

Frank

I do not know, therefore everything is in pencil.

Comment

widgetinstance 221 (Related Threads) skipped due to lack of content & hide_module_if_empty option.
            Working...
            X