Announcement

Collapse

Deeper Waters Forum Guidelines

Notice – The ministries featured in this section of TheologyWeb are guests of this site and in some cases not bargaining for the rough and tumble world of debate forums, though sometimes they are. Additionally, this area is frequented and highlighted for guests who also very often are not acclimated to debate fora. As such, the rules of conduct here will be more strict than in the general forum. This will be something within the discretion of the Moderators and the Ministry Representative, but we simply ask that you conduct yourselves in a manner considerate of the fact that these ministries are our invited guests. You can always feel free to start a related thread in general forum without such extra restrictions. Thank you.

Deeper Waters is founded on the belief that the Christian community has long been in the shallow end of Christianity while there are treasures of the deep waiting to be discovered. Too many in the shallow end are not prepared when they go out beyond those waters and are quickly devoured by sharks. We wish to aid Christians to equip them to navigate the deeper waters of the ocean of truth and come up with treasure in the end.

We also wish to give special aid to those often neglected, that is, the disabled community. This is especially so since our founders are both on the autism spectrum and have a special desire to reach those on that spectrum. While they are a special emphasis, we seek to help others with any disability realize that God can use them and that they are as the Psalmist says, fearfully and wonderfully made.

General TheologyWeb forum rules: here.
See more
See less

Is Polygamy Wrong?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• You really left yourself open with that phrasing.
    "Is it....immoral to SHOOT"
    Not even kill? So I would say it's not immoral.
    More fairly, had you asked "immoral to KILL"
    I would still say it's moral, if said toddler were heading towards other toddlers unable to move away, towards an ammunition dump that will cause mass casualties, etc. Such killing of the toddler would not be murder, not even manslaughter.
    Near the Peoples' Republic of Davis, south of the State of Jefferson (Suspended between Left and Right)

Comment

• Originally posted by One Bad Pig View Post
      No, but only because doing it would prevent a greater evil.
      In the long run? But the long run could be very hard to analyze, if not impossible. Have you heard of the butterfly effect in chaos theory?
      The greater number of laws . . . , the more thieves . . . there will be. ---- Lao-Tzu

[T]he truth I’m after and the truth never harmed anyone. What harms us is to persist in self-deceit and ignorance -— Marcus Aurelius, Meditations

Comment

• Originally posted by Truthseeker View Post
        In the long run? But the long run could be very hard to analyze, if not impossible. Have you heard of the butterfly effect in chaos theory?
        It may be true that killing/shooting the toddler with the booby trap is a lesser evil than allowing that toddler to blow up a building full of people, but it is still evil/immoral, at least in my morality.

By referring to the killing of this toddler as moral, you open Pandora's Box. Using the same thinking, why can't a pregnant woman who is suicidal about having to carry a fetus for nine months to term not claim that aborting her fetus would be a lesser evil than if she commits suicide, so therefore, aborting her fetus is actually a moral thing to do?
        Last edited by Gary; 04-29-2016, 07:28 PM.

Comment

• Are you intentionally parodying Pro-life arguments?
          Near the Peoples' Republic of Davis, south of the State of Jefferson (Suspended between Left and Right)

Comment

• Originally posted by Gary View Post
            If you were in the infantry, would you shoot a crying toddler who had been booby trapped?
            As OBP pointed out, shooting a boobytrap laden kid isn't immoral. Unless of course, you think letting yourself and others get blow up instead is the better choice.
            "The man from the yacht thought he was the first to find England; I thought I was the first to find Europe. I did try to found a heresy of my own; and when I had put the last touches to it, I discovered that it was orthodoxy."
            GK Chesterton; Orthodoxy

Comment

It may be true that killing/shooting the toddler with the booby trap is a lesser evil than allowing that toddler to blow up a building full of people, but it is still evil/immoral, at least in my morality.

By referring to the killing of this toddler as moral, you open Pandora's Box. Using the same thinking, why can't a pregnant woman who is suicidal about having to carry a fetus for nine months to term not claim that aborting her fetus would be a lesser evil than if she commits suicide, so therefore, aborting her fetus is actually a moral thing to do?
              Welcome to reality Gary. In which we are often faced with imperfect solutions.
              "The man from the yacht thought he was the first to find England; I thought I was the first to find Europe. I did try to found a heresy of my own; and when I had put the last touches to it, I discovered that it was orthodoxy."
              GK Chesterton; Orthodoxy

Comment

• Originally posted by lilpixieofterror View Post
                Welcome to reality Gary. In which we are often faced with imperfect solutions.
                So you agree that the woman having an abortion to prevent her from committing suicide would be moral?

Comment

So you agree that the woman having an abortion to prevent her from committing suicide would be moral?
                  In your toddler example, the one who bore responsibility was whoever put the bomb on him/her.

In your abortion example, isn't it the mother who causes the situation? Or whoever put that pressure on her? Is this how we handle choices related to suicidal people?
                  We are therefore Christ's ambassadors, as though God were making his appeal through us. We implore on Christ's behalf: 'Be reconciled to God!!'
                  - 2 Corinthians 5:20.
                  In deviantArt: ll-bisto-ll.deviantart.com
                  Christian art and more: Christians.deviantart.com

Comment

No. The only moral option in your situation would be for the woman to choose not to commit suicide.
                    Enter the Church and wash away your sins. For here there is a hospital and not a court of law. Do not be ashamed to enter the Church; be ashamed when you sin, but not when you repent. – St. John Chrysostom

Veritas vos Liberabit<>< Learn Greek <>< Look here for an Orthodox Church in America<><Ancient Faith Radio
                    sigpic
                    I recommend you do not try too hard and ...research as little as possible. Such weighty things give me a headache. - Shunyadragon, Baha'i apologist

Comment

• Originally posted by Bisto View Post
                      In your toddler example, the one who bore responsibility was whoever put the bomb on him/her.

In your abortion example, isn't it the mother who causes the situation? Or whoever put that pressure on her? Is this how we handle choices related to suicidal people?
                      You are the one who shot the child, not the terrorist.

Bottomline, it is always immoral to target a child for killing, regardless of the unusual exceptions you guys dream up.

Yahweh was immoral for targeting hundreds of thousands of babies and toddlers for killing in the OT.

Your belief system is immoral.

Open your eyes.
                      Last edited by Gary; 04-30-2016, 04:15 PM.

Comment

You're not very bright, are you Gary?
                        GK Chesterton; Orthodoxy

Comment

You are the one who shot the child, not the terrorist.

Bottomline, it is always immoral to target a child for killing, regardless of the unusual exceptions you guys dream up.

Yahweh was immoral for targeting hundreds of thousands of babies and toddlers for killing in the OT.

Your belief system is immoral.

Open your eyes.
                          I did open my eyes, you're a moron.
                          GK Chesterton; Orthodoxy

Comment

How would anybody know!?
                            The greater number of laws . . . , the more thieves . . . there will be. ---- Lao-Tzu

[T]he truth I’m after and the truth never harmed anyone. What harms us is to persist in self-deceit and ignorance -— Marcus Aurelius, Meditations

Comment

• Originally posted by lilpixieofterror View Post
                              I did open my eyes, you're a moron.
                              So, by not answering Gary's assertion, what you're infering is that murdering innocent infants is not immoral so long as it is done by order of your god, that morality is not objective, but arbitrary according to the whim of your god. You sound like Donald Trump who said that we should kill the families of the terrorists.

Comment

• Originally posted by JimL View Post
                                So, by not answering Gary's assertion, what you're infering is that murdering innocent infants is not immoral so long as it is done by order of your god, that morality is not objective, but arbitrary according to the whim of your god. You sound like Donald Trump who said that we should kill the families of the terrorists.
                                I see you're incapable of thinking, just like your friend Gary is. See Jimmy, he has exposed the reality that sometimes there might be a good reason to have to kill a child, such as one being loaded with explosives and set to kill lots of people. I'm not 'inferring' anything, beyond the fact you two are black/white fundy thinkers that seem to be stuck in your black/white thought process. I never said anything about killing families of terrorist just for the fun of it. If I did, go ahead and quote me where I said that or admit that I didn't and you're just making up things because you don't actually know what I believe or think. What I have actually said is that circumstances might mean you have to; not that you should specifically target them. You are aware of these differences, right?
                                GK Chesterton; Orthodoxy

Comment