Announcement

Collapse

Deeper Waters Forum Guidelines

Notice – The ministries featured in this section of TheologyWeb are guests of this site and in some cases not bargaining for the rough and tumble world of debate forums, though sometimes they are. Additionally, this area is frequented and highlighted for guests who also very often are not acclimated to debate fora. As such, the rules of conduct here will be more strict than in the general forum. This will be something within the discretion of the Moderators and the Ministry Representative, but we simply ask that you conduct yourselves in a manner considerate of the fact that these ministries are our invited guests. You can always feel free to start a related thread in general forum without such extra restrictions. Thank you.

Deeper Waters is founded on the belief that the Christian community has long been in the shallow end of Christianity while there are treasures of the deep waiting to be discovered. Too many in the shallow end are not prepared when they go out beyond those waters and are quickly devoured by sharks. We wish to aid Christians to equip them to navigate the deeper waters of the ocean of truth and come up with treasure in the end.

We also wish to give special aid to those often neglected, that is, the disabled community. This is especially so since our founders are both on the autism spectrum and have a special desire to reach those on that spectrum. While they are a special emphasis, we seek to help others with any disability realize that God can use them and that they are as the Psalmist says, fearfully and wonderfully made.

General TheologyWeb forum rules: here.
See more
See less

Is Polygamy Wrong?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by Raphael View Post
    These things happen when you have to rely on translation that is using 400 year old English to get it to kinda say what you want.

I'm surprised he didn't use the Wycliffe translation: "Thou Shalt Not Slay"
    Seriously, your more worried about what kind of English someone uses for a universal English translation but not worried that the Bible has polygamy in it?
    "Look at what happened after the European peoples succeeded in removing the clergy from public life and restricting them to their churches. They built up human being promoted enlightenment, creativity and rebellion. States which are based on religion confine their people in the circle of faith and fear."-Raif Badawi

Comment

Originally posted by Secular Liberation View Post
      Seriously, your more worried about what kind of English someone uses for a universal English translation but not worried that the Bible has polygamy in it?
      Am I worried that the Bible portrays history? No.
      Veritas vos Liberabit<>< Learn Greek <>< Look here for an Orthodox Church in America<><Ancient Faith Radio
      sigpic
      I recommend you do not try too hard and ...research as little as possible. Such weighty things give me a headache. - Shunyadragon, Baha'i apologist

Comment

Originally posted by One Bad Pig View Post
        Am I worried that the Bible portrays history? No.
        So do you agree with Gary's view that morality evolves or not?
        "Look at what happened after the European peoples succeeded in removing the clergy from public life and restricting them to their churches. They built up human being promoted enlightenment, creativity and rebellion. States which are based on religion confine their people in the circle of faith and fear."-Raif Badawi

Comment

1.) I come from a country where polygamy is fairly common.
          2.) Whilst the Bible permits polygamy it is never held up as an ideal and in most cases in the Bible is the cause of problems.
          3.) The English language has changed over the last 400 years.
          Be watchful, stand firm in the faith, act like men, be strong.
          1 Corinthians 16:13

"...he [Doherty] is no historian and he is not even conversant with the historical discussions of the very matters he wants to pontificate on."
          -Ben Witherington III

Comment

1.) I come from a country where polygamy is fairly common.
            2.) Whilst the Bible permits polygamy it is never held up as an ideal and in most cases in the Bible is the cause of problems.
            3.) The English language has changed over the last 400 years.
            Doesn't mean his translation was somehow different, it's just a thou rather than a you.

Comment

Doesn't mean his translation was somehow different, it's just a thou rather than a you.
              It translates the word as Kill where it is meant to be Murder.

There is a BIG difference between a command of "thou shalt not kill" and "thou shalt not murder" the translation in the KJV is flawed (there are a number of translation issues with the KJV in general, this is one of them add in the language shift).

By using the KJV with it's "Thou Shalt Not Kill" Gary can claim that the Bible forbids any killing while sending the Israelites off to war and putting in crimes that carry the death penalty to their legal code.
              All the newer translations use the correct word "murder"

"...he [Doherty] is no historian and he is not even conversant with the historical discussions of the very matters he wants to pontificate on."
              -Ben Witherington III

Comment

War is murder in my opinion.

Comment

Originally posted by Gary View Post

"Thou shalt not kill."

The interpretation, even by Christians, of the Ten Commandments has changed: The definition of murder (killing) has changed; the rules of war (killing) have changed; and what constitutes just grounds for execution (killing) has most definitely changed.
                  You're truly are a special kind of stupid, huh?
                  "The man from the yacht thought he was the first to find England; I thought I was the first to find Europe. I did try to found a heresy of my own; and when I had put the last touches to it, I discovered that it was orthodoxy."
                  GK Chesterton; Orthodoxy

Comment

So you're solution would have been to let the Nazi's conquer the world? Hey, your logic, I'm just using it against you.
                    "The man from the yacht thought he was the first to find England; I thought I was the first to find Europe. I did try to found a heresy of my own; and when I had put the last touches to it, I discovered that it was orthodoxy."
                    GK Chesterton; Orthodoxy

Comment

That may well be, but that's not how the Israelites would have understood that particular commandment.
                      "I am not angered that the Moral Majority boys campaign against abortion. I am angry when the same men who say, "Save OUR children" bellow "Build more and bigger bombers." That's right! Blast the children in other nations into eternity, or limbless misery as they lay crippled from "OUR" bombers! This does not jell." - Leonard Ravenhill

Comment

I subscribe to Just War theory1.

Back to Polygamy, the ESV Study Bible Ethics article dealing with Polygamy agrees with my assertion that while the Bible allows polygamy, it is never lifted as an ideal and is indeed the cause of trouble:
                        http://www.esvbible.org/resources/es...exual-morality (not sure the link will work for you)
                        Source: ESV Study Bible

Polygamy
                        Why did God allow polygamy in the OT? Nowhere in the Bible did God ever command polygamy or tell anyone to marry more than one wife. Rather, God temporarily allowed polygamy to occur (he did not give any general prohibition against it) without giving it any explicit moral approval. Nevertheless, in the OT narratives, whenever a man has two or more wives, it seems to lead to trouble (see ; 1 Samuel 1; 1 Kings 11; note the prohibition in Deut. 17:17Gen. 1:271 Pet. 3:71 Tim. 3:2) would exclude polygamists from being elders (evidence for polygamy among Jews in the 1st century is found in Josephus, Jewish Antiquities 17.14; Mishnah, Yebamoth 4.11; Ketuboth 10.1, 4, 5; Sanhedrin 2.4; Kerithoth 3.7; Kiddushin 2.7; Bechoroth 8.4; and Justin Martyr, Dialogue 134; for polygamy among non-Jews, see 2 Macc. 4:30; Josephus, Jewish Antiquities 17.19; Tertullian, Apology 46). This has practical application today in missionary contexts in cultures where polygamy is still practiced: the Bible would not encourage a husband to divorce any of his multiple wives when this would leave them without support and protection. But it would not allow a man with multiple wives to be an elder. This restriction would provide a pattern that would generally lead to the abolition of polygamy in a church in a generation or two.

© Copyright Original Source

1. The just war ethic argues that warfare is sometimes necessary in order to resist or reverse specific unjust actions taken by one government or nation against another, but it also insists that war is always regrettable, is always something to avoid if possible, and is never to be used to establish some new vision of a social order.
                        Last edited by Raphael; 04-20-2016, 11:41 PM.

-Ben Witherington III

Comment

It translates the word as Kill where it is meant to be Murder.

There is a BIG difference between a command of "thou shalt not kill" and "thou shalt not murder" the translation in the KJV is flawed (there are a number of translation issues with the KJV in general, this is one of them add in the language shift).

By using the KJV with it's "Thou Shalt Not Kill" Gary can claim that the Bible forbids any killing while sending the Israelites off to war and putting in crimes that carry the death penalty to their legal code.
                          All the newer translations use the correct word "murder"
                          If you re-read my post, it was not my intention to infer that the commandment "Thou shalt not kill" meant you can never kill. I fully agree that the context indicates that it meant: "Thou shalt not murder". What I was trying to say is that many acts of killing during the time period of early Israel which would not have met the definition of murder, would today be considered murder. The definition of murder has changed:

---If the town council of a city today were to stone a woman for not having an intact hymen on her wedding night, most people today would consider that murder.

---If an army hunted down and killed every man, woman, and child of an enemy nation today, most people today would consider that murder.

---If a community stoned to death a child for cursing her father and mother, that act today would be considered murder.

Even most conservative Christians would consider these acts, if they occurred today, to be acts of murder. This demonstrates my earlier point (which I obviously did not express clearly): the definition of MURDER and the definition of "justified killing" have changed, even among the followers of Yahweh. This is confirmation that morality is not absolute; it changes with time and social circumstances.
                          Last edited by Gary; 04-21-2016, 12:24 AM.

Comment

Originally posted by Gary View Post
                            If you re-read my post, it was not my intention to infer that the commandment "Thou shalt not kill" meant you can never kill. I fully agree that the context indicates that it meant: "Thou shalt not murder". What I was trying to say is that many acts of killing during the time period of early Israel which would not have met the definition of murder, would today be considered murder. The definition of murder has changed:

---If the town council of a city today were to stone a woman for not having an intact hymen on her wedding night, most people today would consider that murder.

---If an army hunted down and killed every man, woman, and child of an enemy nation today, most people today would consider that murder.

---If a community stoned to death a child for cursing her father and mother, that act today would be considered murder.

Even most conservative Christians would consider these acts, if they occurred today, to be acts of murder. This demonstrates my earlier point (which I obviously did not express clearly): the definition of MURDER and the definition of "justified killing" have changed, even among the followers of Yahweh. This is confirmation that morality is not absolute; it changes with time and social circumstances.
                            Your entire perspective on this issue is off. The definition of murder hasn't changed. Murder is still the unjust taking of life. Most Christians do not consider the legal ramifications found in the Old Testament for ancient Israel unjust, nor do they consider it murder given the context, which was under a legal code written for a kingdom under a contractual obligation to God, in a collectivist, honor-based, agrarian society in which prisons were unlikely to exist, and under a pre-grace administration. That Christ's administration of grace freed those in Christ from the penalty of the law does not mean that morality changed, or that the law was immoral. Furthermore, that the legal penalty for adultery, persecution, disobedience, what-have-you, has changed/or no longer exists, does not mean that those things are now morally good. The morality hasn't changed. That you believe that a change/lack in penalty for immoral behavior somehow means that the definition of "moral" has changed just shows your complete ignorance on the topic (which, sadly, is not unusual for you). You really didn't think this out very thoroughly, did you.
                            Last edited by Adrift; 04-21-2016, 07:50 AM.

Comment

Originally posted by Adrift View Post
                              Your entire perspective on this issue is off. The definition of murder hasn't changed. Murder is still the unjust taking of life. Most Christians do not consider the legal ramifications found in the Old Testament for ancient Israel unjust, nor do they consider it murder given the context, which was under a legal code written for a kingdom under a contractual obligation to God, in a collectivist, honor-based, agrarian society in which prisons were unlikely to exist, and under a pre-grace administration. That Christ's administration of grace freed those in Christ from the penalty of the law does not mean that morality changed, or that the law was immoral. Furthermore, that the legal penalty for adultery, persecution, disobedience, what-have-you, has changed/or no longer exists, does not mean that those things are now morally good. The morality hasn't changed. That you believe that a change/lack in penalty for immoral behavior somehow means that the definition of "moral" has changed just shows your complete ignorance on the topic (which, sadly, is not unusual for you). You really didn't think this out very thoroughly, did you.
                              You obviously did not read what I said.

During the time of early Israel, killing a bride for not having an intact hymen was not considered immoral. Most Christians today, justify the killing of brides without intact hymen during the time period of ancient Israel with various justificantions. Today, however, killing a bride for not having an intact hymen on her wedding night would be considered murder, even by the overwhelming majority of Christians.

The definition of "murder" and the definition of a "justified killing" have changed...even among the followers of Yahweh.

Comment

Originally posted by lilpixieofterror View Post
                                So you're solution would have been to let the Nazi's conquer the world? Hey, your logic, I'm just using it against you.
                                Ever heard of non-violent resistance? Of course not.

Comment