Announcement

Collapse

Deeper Waters Forum Guidelines

Notice – The ministries featured in this section of TheologyWeb are guests of this site and in some cases not bargaining for the rough and tumble world of debate forums, though sometimes they are. Additionally, this area is frequented and highlighted for guests who also very often are not acclimated to debate fora. As such, the rules of conduct here will be more strict than in the general forum. This will be something within the discretion of the Moderators and the Ministry Representative, but we simply ask that you conduct yourselves in a manner considerate of the fact that these ministries are our invited guests. You can always feel free to start a related thread in general forum without such extra restrictions. Thank you.

Deeper Waters is founded on the belief that the Christian community has long been in the shallow end of Christianity while there are treasures of the deep waiting to be discovered. Too many in the shallow end are not prepared when they go out beyond those waters and are quickly devoured by sharks. We wish to aid Christians to equip them to navigate the deeper waters of the ocean of truth and come up with treasure in the end.

We also wish to give special aid to those often neglected, that is, the disabled community. This is especially so since our founders are both on the autism spectrum and have a special desire to reach those on that spectrum. While they are a special emphasis, we seek to help others with any disability realize that God can use them and that they are as the Psalmist says, fearfully and wonderfully made.

General TheologyWeb forum rules: here.
See more
See less

Is Polygamy Wrong?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by Secular Liberation View Post
    Ever heard of non-violent resistance? Of course not.
    It works really well against those who are not willing to use deadly force to impose their will.
    Enter the Church and wash away your sins. For here there is a hospital and not a court of law. Do not be ashamed to enter the Church; be ashamed when you sin, but not when you repent. – St. John Chrysostom

Veritas vos Liberabit<>< Learn Greek <>< Look here for an Orthodox Church in America<><Ancient Faith Radio
    sigpic
    I recommend you do not try too hard and ...research as little as possible. Such weighty things give me a headache. - Shunyadragon, Baha'i apologist

Comment

Originally posted by One Bad Pig View Post
      It works really well against those who are not willing to use deadly force to impose their will.
      Tell that to British Colonial troops and racist segregationists.
      "Look at what happened after the European peoples succeeded in removing the clergy from public life and restricting them to their churches. They built up human being promoted enlightenment, creativity and rebellion. States which are based on religion confine their people in the circle of faith and fear."-Raif Badawi

Comment

Tell that to British Colonial troops and racist segregationists.
        They weren't, obviously; there were countervailing pressures which made them generally unwilling to use deadly force.
        Enter the Church and wash away your sins. For here there is a hospital and not a court of law. Do not be ashamed to enter the Church; be ashamed when you sin, but not when you repent. – St. John Chrysostom

Veritas vos Liberabit<>< Learn Greek <>< Look here for an Orthodox Church in America<><Ancient Faith Radio
        sigpic
        I recommend you do not try too hard and ...research as little as possible. Such weighty things give me a headache. - Shunyadragon, Baha'i apologist

Comment

Originally posted by Gary View Post
          You obviously did not read what I said.

During the time of early Israel, killing a bride for not having an intact hymen was not considered immoral. Most Christians today, justify the killing of brides without intact hymen during the time period of ancient Israel with various justificantions. Today, however, killing a bride for not having an intact hymen on her wedding night would be considered murder, even by the overwhelming majority of Christians.

The definition of "murder" and the definition of a "justified killing" have changed...even among the followers of Yahweh.
          Yeah, I figured you'd have a hard time with this. That black and white fundamentalist mentality that you struggled with when you were calling yourself a Christian is still acting as a mental barrier for you today. Your point in posts #2, #10, #12 and so on is that morality is not objective, and that it has changed through the course of time, correct? But you're wrong. Morality has not changed even if context changes. Ancient Israelis did not kill brides for not having an intact hymen (no matter how you read Deut. 22 13-21). The accusation was adultery. Adultery is still just as immoral today as it was within ancient Israel. The morality has not changed. That Christians do not kill women for adultery does not mean that adultery is now considered moral, or that the meaning of "murder" has changed. "Murder" is the unjust taking of life. Context, of course, tells us what is considered the unjust taking of life. That was just as true then as it is today. That we live in a different cultural/spiritual context than the kingdom of Israel does not in any way mean that the definition of murder has somehow changed over the course of time. Murder still means the unjust taking of life.

Comment

Originally posted by Adrift View Post
            Yeah, I figured you'd have a hard time with this. That black and white fundamentalist mentality that you struggled with when you were calling yourself a Christian is still acting as a mental barrier for you today. Your point in posts #2, #10, #12 and so on is that morality is not objective, and that it has changed through the course of time, correct? But you're wrong. Morality has not changed even if context changes. Ancient Israelis did not kill brides for not having an intact hymen (no matter how you read Deut. 22 13-21). The accusation was adultery. Adultery is still just as immoral today as it was within ancient Israel. The morality has not changed. That Christians do not kill women for adultery does not mean that adultery is now considered moral, or that the meaning of "murder" has changed. "Murder" is the unjust taking of life. Context, of course, tells us what is considered the unjust taking of life. That was just as true then as it is today. That we live in a different cultural/spiritual context than the kingdom of Israel does not in any way mean that the definition of murder has somehow changed over the course of time. Murder still means the unjust taking of life.
            Yes, I've heard all the Christian justifications for why it was moral for your Deity to order the slaughter of tens of thousands of little children and babies. But I and most of the non-Christian world believe that your justifications for these barbarous acts are immoral. Therefore, we believe, that YOU are immoral.

Your pathetic, Iron Age mentality regarding morality disgusts me.

I eagerly await the day when your belief system regarding the brutal, vindictive, vengeful Canaanite god Yahweh joins the other ancient superstition-based worldviews ...such as that of Baal, Zeus, and Jupiter... in the dust bin of world history.
            Last edited by Gary; 04-21-2016, 01:11 PM.

Comment

So your relative morality Adrift disagrees with Gary's relative morality.

It's a wonder he gets so upset over something that's just a matter of opinion.

Comment

Originally posted by Apologiaphoenix View Post

It's a bit amusing to watch him abandon his argument, refuse to acknowledge his error, and then throw a fit unrelated to his initial claim. I am not being hyperbolic when I say that it concerns me that people like him are practicing medicine. I'm not sure I'd trust him to have the maturity and the acumen to work a concession stand at a movie theater.

Comment

You are exactly right. But my relative morality is the morality of my herd...which just so happens to be YOUR herd. You are stuck with our rules (morality) whether you like them or not.

We are not going to let you kill brides with non-intact hymen, stone children who curse their parents, or slaughter the children and babies of "non-believers" of your ancient superstition...even if you believe that your ancient Deity demands it.

Comment

It's a bit amusing to watch him abandon his argument, refuse to acknowledge his error, and then throw a fit unrelated to his initial claim. I am not being hyperbolic when I say that it concerns me that people like him are practicing medicine. I'm not sure I'd trust him to have the maturity and the acumen to work a concession stand at a movie theater.
                    You are an evil man.

Comment

You are exactly right. But my relative morality is the morality of my herd...which just so happens to be YOUR herd. You are stuck with our rules (morality) whether you like them or not.

We are not going to let you kill brides with non-intact hymen, stone children who curse their parents, or slaughter the children and babies of "non-believers" of your ancient superstition...even if you believe that your ancient Deity demands it.
                      So if the Nazis had won WWII, could you say it was wrong to kill Jews?

Comment

Ever heard of non-violent resistance? Of course not.
                        Did not work out so well for the Jews under the Nazis did it.
                        Micah 6:8 He has told you, O man, what is good; and what does the LORD require of you but to do justice, and to love kindness, and to walk humbly with your God?

Comment

You scored a direct hit with this one.

sigpic

Comment

So if the Nazis had won WWII, could you say it was wrong to kill Jews?
                            In my moral world view and that of the vanquished Allied peoples, yes. The new world order under the Nazis would say, no. But I and many people in the world would resist the new morality of the Nazis until we achieved ultimate victory over the fascist sons-of-businesses and re-established a morality that abhors anti-Semitism and genocide.

The morality of the ruling majority (and sometimes, the ruling minority) is not absolute. It changes with time and cultural conditions. But MY morality is constant on anti-Semitism: It is evil and must be resisted.
                            Last edited by Gary; 04-21-2016, 02:12 PM.

Comment

Originally posted by One Bad Pig View Post
                              You scored a direct hit with this one.
                              And you, Piggy, have now sunk to his level of immaturity and maliciousness (in the sewage).

Congratulations.

Comment

In my moral world view and that of the vanquished Allied peoples, yes. The new world order under the Nazis would say, no. But I and many people in the world would resist the new morality of the Nazis until we achieved ultimate victory over the fascist sons-of-businesses and re-established a morality that abhors anti-Semitism and genocide.

The morality of the ruling majority (and sometimes, the ruling minority) is not absolute. It changes with time and cultural conditions. But MY morality is constant on anti-Semitism: It is evil and must be resisted.

"Morality changes with the times and culture!" "morality is not absolute"

"What if the Nazi's won"

"Uh, uh, uh....MY morality is constant"

You can almost see his brain melting down when forced to actually process logic that goes against his fundamentalist wiring.

Gary, the truth is, you'd be a goose-stepping Nazi sympathizer if the Nazi's won.

Comment