Announcement

Collapse

Judaism Guidelines

Theists only.

Shalom!

This forum is a debate area to discuss issues pertaining to the world religion of Judaism in general and also its relationship to Christianity. This forum is generally for theists only. Non-theists (eg, atheistic Jews) may not post here without first obtaining permission from the moderator of this forum. Granting of such permission is subject to Moderator discretion - and may be revoked if the Moderator feels that the poster is not keeping with the spirit of the World Religions Department.

Non-theists are welcome to discuss and debate issues in the Apologetics 301 forum without such restrictions.

Forum Rules: Here
See more
See less

“Eleh ha'devarim… These are the words…”

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• “Eleh ha'devarim… These are the words…”

Posted article from, "The Jewish Week".

Moses Finds His Voice

This speech by Moses continues for the duration of the book, leading into Moses’ death. While this seems like an appropriate ending for the Israelites’ time in the desert, and for concluding the Torah, it is quite stunning that this long speech begins with “Eleh ha'devarim… These are the words.” At the beginning of Moses’ career, he attempted to sidestep his choice as leader by telling God “Lo ish devarim anochi,” “I am not a man of words.” How interesting that Moses’ leadership is bracketed by the emphasis on the word devarim — words.
    Read more at http://www.thejewishweek.com/jewish_...hFfUStcRS4A.99

Interesting thought, marta. Thanks for sharing.
    The last Christian left at tweb

Comment

Originally posted by Trout View Post
      Interesting thought, Marta. Thanks for sharing.
      You're welcome and I thought it was a good article to share with the board. God really shapes and molds people into what He wants them to become ,as frustrating as it maybe, it is all worth the struggles knowing that it will lead to something better for everyone. I think of how Joseph started and where he landed toward the end with his brothers - per quote: "And now do not be grieved, and do not be angered that you have sold me to here. For it is as a source of sustenance that G-d has sent me before you." (Beresheit 45:5) Even though that the Israelite later in years had been sent into slavery, they came out of Egypt, like Jonah - being in the belly of the fish (We run, we are swallowed up, and we are spit out. ) - also, and making the comparison to Jonah, "Jonah found his God and his purpose He resolves to fulfill his prophetic mission".

6 He says, "It is too small a thing that You should be My Servant To raise up the tribes of Jacob and to restore the preserved ones of Israel; I will also make You a light of the nations So that My salvation may reach to the end of the earth."
      Acts 13:4746 Paul and Barnabas spoke out boldly and said, "It was necessary that the word of God be spoken to you first; since you repudiate it and judge yourselves unworthy of eternal life, behold, we are turning to the Gentiles. 47 "For so the Lord has commanded us, 'I HAVE PLACED YOU AS A LIGHT FOR THE GENTILES, THAT YOU MAY BRING SALVATION TO THE END OF THE EARTH.'" 48When the Gentiles heard this, they began rejoicing and glorifying the word of the Lord; and as many as had been appointed to eternal life believed.

This mission is not to small, per quote from Samuel 7, "As though this was yet too small a thing in Your eyes, O' Lord God: but You also spoke of Your servant's house from afar; now is this the manner of man, O' Lord God? - 20 And what more can David say to You? For You know Your servant, O' Lord God 21 For the sake of Your word, and according to Your own heart, have you brought about all this greatness, to make Your servant know it..

Also, like Moses, the mission that God gave to Jonah was one that he could not open his heart to accept - which Jonah dreaded as did Moses. Couldn't this be said of "us" or "anyone", finding our purpose with God and resolving our own fears.

Comment

widgetinstance 221 (Related Threads) skipped due to lack of content & hide_module_if_empty option.
      Working...
      X