Announcement

Collapse

Judaism Guidelines

Theists only.

Shalom!

This forum is a debate area to discuss issues pertaining to the world religion of Judaism in general and also its relationship to Christianity. This forum is generally for theists only. Non-theists (eg, atheistic Jews) may not post here without first obtaining permission from the moderator of this forum. Granting of such permission is subject to Moderator discretion - and may be revoked if the Moderator feels that the poster is not keeping with the spirit of the World Religions Department.

Non-theists are welcome to discuss and debate issues in the Apologetics 301 forum without such restrictions.

Forum Rules: Here
See more
See less

Two conjugations of the word "to know."

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

"These verbs do not denote a greater or lesser intimacy in G-d’s revelation to the individual human being. It is a fact that Numbers 12:6 states with respect to the lower degree of prophecy, “I make Myself known to him in a vision” (using both the roots, r-a-h, to see, and y-d-‘, to know)… This is not the sense in which G-d’s revelation to the patriarchs differed from His revelation to Moses; rather, here one sort of revelation is contrasted with another, where the second kind of revelation [that given to Moses] could not yet have occurred [in the time of the fathers], insofar as it is destined only for an entire people and not for individuals. This sort of revelation necessitates that the Lord’s might be revealed in deeds of such magnitudes that only the name Y-H-W-H suits them."

I think that the highlighted sentence is an important fact even with regards to the New Testament and speaking of Jesus comments in John 14. Noting that before Abraham went to Eretz Yisrael, God merely spoke to him; only in Eretz Yisrael did God appear to him.

Comment

Originally posted by Geert van den Bos View Post
      Numbers 12:5-8,
      The Lord descended in a pillar of cloud and stood at the entrance of the Tent. He called to Aaron and Miriam, and they both went out.
      He said, "Please listen to My words. If there be prophets among you, (I) the Lord I will make Myself known to him in a vision ; I will speak to him in a dream.
      Not so is My servant Moses; he is faithful throughout My house.
      With him I speak mouth to mouth; in a vision and not in riddles, and he beholds the image of the Lord. So why were you not afraid to speak against My servant Moses ?

Rashi: http://www.chabad.org/library/bible_...showrashi=true

v. 6 has "bamarah" - בַּמַּרְאָה
      v.8 has "umarèh" - וּמַרְאֶה

"marah" = mirror; vision, revelation

"marèh" = sight, view, seeing, appearance, vision.

After this Paul wrote, 1 Corinthians 13:12,

βλέπομεν γὰρ ἄρτι δι' ἐσόπτρου ἐν αἰνίγματι, τότε δὲ πρόσωπον πρὸς πρόσωπον: ἄρτι γινώσκω ἐκ μέρους, τότε δὲ ἐπιγνώσομαι καθὼς καὶ ἐπεγνώσθην.

For now we see through a mirror in riddles, then from face to face; now I know in parts, then I shall know even as I am known.

Fully known through the son, Hebrews 1:1-2 states: “God, who at various times and in various ways spoke in time past to the fathers by the prophets, has in these last days spoken to us by His Son, whom He has appointed heir of all things, through whom also He made the worlds.”." The way the events unfold in scripture is the way God is seen - 1st, spoken word, 2nd, in a vision, and then appeared.

Comment

widgetinstance 221 (Related Threads) skipped due to lack of content & hide_module_if_empty option.
      Working...
      X