The Houston Flood....

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• The Houston Flood....

... first, it's serious, and I don't want to diminish that....

You do have to take these things in stride, however, when it's a known fact that you (those who do) live on land that's actually below sea level.

It's pretty much non-stop news in the Houston area, which, I guess if there's a bright spot - it keeps The View off the air!

I live NW of Houston on "high ground" - no threat whatsoever of flooding at my house, though many of the roads to the rest of the world tend to get water-covered and become impassable. The other day, we couldn't even go south to the next town because a major bridge was under water.

Pray for the families of those who died because, even though barricades existed, they drove around barricades to drive through water that quickly became their death. I really don't understand why they do that, but we have about 6 confirmed deaths in the area from people driving through flooded underpasses or across bridges that are submerged by rising creeks.

"Turn around - Don't drown" is an oft quoted bit of wisdom here, but so many either aren't aware of it, don't understand it, or simply think they are the exception.

It's wet here!
    The first to state his case seems right until another comes and cross-examines him.

Originally posted by Cow Poke View Post
    ... first, it's serious, and I don't want to diminish that....

You do have to take these things in stride, however, when it's a known fact that you (those who do) live on land that's actually below sea level.

It's pretty much non-stop news in the Houston area, which, I guess if there's a bright spot - it keeps The View off the air!

I live NW of Houston on "high ground" - no threat whatsoever of flooding at my house, though many of the roads to the rest of the world tend to get water-covered and become impassable. The other day, we couldn't even go south to the next town because a major bridge was under water.

Pray for the families of those who died because, even though barricades existed, they drove around barricades to drive through water that quickly became their death. I really don't understand why they do that, but we have about 6 confirmed deaths in the area from people driving through flooded underpasses or across bridges that are submerged by rising creeks.

"Turn around - Don't drown" is an oft quoted bit of wisdom here, but so many either aren't aware of it, don't understand it, or simply think they are the exception.

It's wet here!
    Atheism is the cult of death, the death of hope. The universe is doomed, you are doomed, the only thing that remains is to await your execution...

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Jbnueb2OI4o&t=3s

Comment

I just saw an interview with a Christian Pastor in NW Houston - sorry, couldn't catch which Church it was - but their building had flooded, and they were unbolting and removing the pews to replace the wooden floor because of flood damage.

The Pastor did an EXCELLENT job of describing the hope we have even in the face of challenge, and his "God will provide" attitude. If I can find a video of it, I'll post it here, because he did such a good job of "keeping the faith".

church.jpg
      The first to state his case seems right until another comes and cross-examines him.

Comment

It suddenly occurred to me that I can REWIND, using my iPhone as a remote!!!!

The Church is Christ United Church on Telge, in Cypress (NW Houston). The picture I posted was from Monday - the flood has since receded. The Pastor is Jeffrey Willey, and, again, what a testimony! And the reporter, Kevin Quinn, was most gracious, and asked DECENT questions, allowing the Pastor all the time he wanted to share his message.

The Church was built in 1928, and I bet it gets restored!!!!

Comment

I think one of the problems is that people are often told it is a mandatory evacuation and get passed by reporters going in while they're leaving. It makes one think it can't be too serious and if anyone should have the right to be there it is those with a vested interested. This gets compounded by the government not allowing people to return for far too long.

When my condo got clipped by a tornado (definitely a memorable experience since it was my unit that was hit) in 1990 we went out to get a bite to eat because the power was out. The police would not let me return because there was a downed power line over a block away nowhere near where I was going. But they let news vans go in to report live from the scene. I nearly got arrested arguing with the police but fortunately someone in charge stepped in, listened to my points and agreed after I promised to head straight into my home.

Anyhow, ing for the victims and their loved ones.

I'm always still in trouble again

"You're by far the worst poster on TWeb" and "TWeb's biggest liar" --starlight (the guy who says Stalin was a right-winger)
          "Overall I would rate the withdrawal from Afghanistan as by far the best thing Biden's done" --Starlight
          "Of course, human life begins at fertilization that’s not the argument." --Tassman

Comment

That's really nice....

Chase Bank emailed me, and I also got a similar notice from my Electric Company, that they are aware that the flood may cause difficulties in clients meeting their financial obligations.

Infinite Energy is "happy to provide extended due dates, payment arrangements or other considerations that may help your family through this recovery period. "

I don't need it, but others who are under water and missing work certainly might!

Comment