RoboCalls

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by Cow Poke View Post
    But, yeah, with today's technology, it's not hard at all to spoof (an actual technical term ) a Caller ID.
    I'd assume it's even easier now with the prevalence of VOIP.
    I'm not here anymore.

Comment

Originally posted by Carrikature View Post
      I'd assume it's even easier now with the prevalence of VOIP.
      I was fighting that very issue just yesterday --- and, even back further - MagicJack. You can set your MagicJack Caller ID to say pretty much anything you want.
      The first to state his case seems right until another comes and cross-examines him.

Comment

Originally posted by Carrikature View Post
        There's a detector that rings the people inside that a car is at the speaker. It's set to trigger an automated message. It usually says something to the effect of, "Hi! Welcome to [fast food joint]! Can I interest you in a [whatever they're pushing]?" It's almost always a woman's voice.

You might not even notice it. You probably just start giving your order (assuming you know it) and a real person comes back with the total or asks whatever questions, etc. It's most obvious when there are obviously different voices in play. One voice asks you what you want, and another voice does the rest. The second voice is the real person. The first voice is probably a machine.

Since it's set to trigger automatically, the message will go off even if the place is closed. So you'll give your order to the machine and sit there for a few minutes wondering why no one is talking to you. You'll probably yell hello a few times and then start to drive off in a huff only to discover the lights are off when you drive by the window.
        I didn't know about the initial part. Thanks. But my confusion, as I said a few posts back, was in thinking the place was open. Just a *derp* moment for me. But I learned something anyway. Thanks again.
        Watch your links! http://www.theologyweb.com/campus/fa...corumetiquette

Comment