Page 17 of 17 FirstFirst ... 7151617

Thread: VA Loans - and My Dilemma

Faith
    Christian
    Amen (Given)
    Amen (Received)
    Quote Originally Posted by Cow Poke View Post
    LostSheep was just asking me about the place I sold, so I thought I'd post an update....

After all the rigamarole dealing with the VA, and bringing things up to their expectations, and playing games, and putting a lot of work and money into "fixing the place up".....

Hurricane Harvey came down hard.

The well house was completely destroyed, including all the above-ground components, the shop was badly damaged, many of the huge oak trees were felled, and a lot of the fencing along the pasture was literally ripped out of the ground.

On top of all this, the guy who bought the place lost his job shortly after closing.

As I mentioned to LS - I bet that guy kinda identifies with Job. He's a good guy, and needs our prayers.
    oh no. Did he have insurance? did he lose the house?

Faith
    Christian
    Amen (Given)
    Amen (Received)
    Quote Originally Posted by Sparko View Post
    oh no. Did he have insurance? did he lose the house?
    I really don't know - He wouldn't have been able to get VA financing without having insurance, and I'm pretty sure the VA makes their clients escrow, which, of course, means the lender was paying the insurance out of the house payment.

We still stay in touch with a neighbor (our dog Jake and their dog Sandy were best buds) who seemed to indicate that the house itself wasn't badly damaged, but there was a garage apartment, the 50x70 shop, the well house.... all of those suffered bad damage or were destroyed.

We stopped communicating with Joe when it became apparent that we might get thrown under the bus for "not advising them" that there might be a change in the neighborhood, even though the buyer's agent was very clearly aware of that.
    --- this space intentionally left blank ---

Faith
    Christian
    Amen (Given)
    Amen (Received)
    I really don't know - He wouldn't have been able to get VA financing without having insurance, and I'm pretty sure the VA makes their clients escrow, which, of course, means the lender was paying the insurance out of the house payment.

We still stay in touch with a neighbor (our dog Jake and their dog Sandy were best buds) who seemed to indicate that the house itself wasn't badly damaged, but there was a garage apartment, the 50x70 shop, the well house.... all of those suffered bad damage or were destroyed.

We stopped communicating with Joe when it became apparent that we might get thrown under the bus for "not advising them" that there might be a change in the neighborhood, even though the buyer's agent was very clearly aware of that.
    I meant did he lose the house because he lost his job.

Is the highway going through the neighborhood itself?

Faith
    Christian
    Amen (Given)
    Amen (Received)
    Quote Originally Posted by Sparko View Post
    I meant did he lose the house because he lost his job.
    I think they're still in the house - from what I've heard, the VA is particularly tolerant of such situations, but I don't really know.

Is the highway going through the neighborhood itself?
    No, it very clearly goes AROUND the neighborhood, which is actually "out in the country", but it does (if it actually happens) actually change the entry and exit into the area. In my own personal opinion, it would be a help, not a hindrance. I think the overshadowing factor here is one that could not be foreseen --- property values were soaring because there was a rumor that Exxon was going to build a facility in the region which would employ up to 10,000 people. They appear to have since changed their minds, or at least delayed that plan. That was, supposedly, in anticipation of the "Aggie Expressway" which would have given them quick access to downtown Houston, airports, etc.....

41st Mojave Summer DesertBerean's Avatar
    Faith
    Christian
    Amen (Given)
    Amen (Received)
    I kinda feel guilty, in a way, because we sold the place for considerably more than I paid for it, and very shortly after we closed, the market in that particular area collapsed because it's along the route of the future "Aggie Expressway". The house across the road from us was selling for about the same price as ours, and it still hasn't sold, even though the sellers have come down nearly $100,000 on the price.

While it could easily appear we "knew something" and were escaping the collapse - the honest fact is that we just needed to be closer to my work, and "it was time".
    My reaction to this: Oh....UGH. Poor guy.

Prayers for everyone.

Faith
    Christian
    Amen (Given)
    Amen (Received)
    THREE YEARS ago already!

7. Amen mossrose, DesertBerean amen'd this post.
    Faith
    Christian
    Amen (Given)
    Amen (Received)
    WOW --- just saw TxDOT's PROJECT MAP for my old neighborhood!!!! The new Aggie Expressway is going RIGHT NEXT TO my old property! SO GLAD we are outta there. Property values had really collapsed, so those properties near me that were purchased by the State for expansion were purchased for "market value" that was really low.

We literally sold "high", as it was expected that Exxon was going to be building a huge plant nearby, and my neighborhood would have been an excellent "bedroom community" for the Exxon campus.

AFTER we sold, news spread that Exxon had cancelled their plans, and property values plummeted.

Child of the One True King Raphael's Avatar
    Faith
    Christian
    Amen (Given)
    Amen (Received)
    WOW --- just saw TxDOT's PROJECT MAP for my old neighborhood!!!! The new Aggie Expressway is going RIGHT NEXT TO my old property! SO GLAD we are outta there. Property values had really collapsed, so those properties near me that were purchased by the State for expansion were purchased for "market value" that was really low.

We literally sold "high", as it was expected that Exxon was going to be building a huge plant nearby, and my neighborhood would have been an excellent "bedroom community" for the Exxon campus.

AFTER we sold, news spread that Exxon had cancelled their plans, and property values plummeted.
    Kinda sucks for the bloke who bought your old house. But I am glad it's not affecting you.
    TheologyWeb Needs YOU! - Please Help Us Upgrade Tweb! Click here for more info

"If you can ever make any major religion look absolutely ludicrous, chances are you haven't understood it"
    -Ravi Zacharias, The New Age: A foreign bird with a local walk

Be watchful, stand firm in the faith, act like men, be strong.
    1 Corinthians 16:13

"...he [Doherty] is no historian and he is not even conversant with the historical discussions of the very matters he wants to pontificate on."
    -Ben Witherington III

Faith
    Christian
    Amen (Given)
    Amen (Received)
    Quote Originally Posted by Raphael View Post
    Kinda sucks for the bloke who bought your old house. But I am glad it's not affecting you.
    Yeah, he was a good guy - and I hate that for him, but, yeah.... he knew at the time there was a project coming through, but I don't think any of us thought it would come so close!