Announcement

Collapse

Computer Lab Guidelines

Here in the computer lab, we talk about cool tech, the newest coolest gadgets, and tackle your toughest tech questions.

If you need to refresh yourself on the decorum, now would be a good time. Forum Rules: here
See more
See less

Windows 10 - What a BULLY!

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Windows 10 - What a BULLY!

OK, so I've gotten plenty of "gentle reminders" on my XP and Win7 boxes that Win 10 is available.

Then it got to where Windows was "scheduling", but I could opt NOT to have Windows "schedule" my upgrade.

NOW it's a nag screen that wants to schedule, there are no options NOT to schedule -- the only option is to pick from a list of other dates in the near future.

Wow.

upgrade 0.jpg
    upgrade.jpg
    The first to state his case seems right until another comes and cross-examines him.

All I did was locate the GWX folder under C:\Windows\System32 and deleted it. Never heard from them again.
    When I Survey....

Comment

Originally posted by Faber View Post
      All I did was locate the GWX folder under C:\Windows\System32 and deleted it. Never heard from them again.
      Boy, I wish I'd thought of that. I found all instances of "GWX" in my startup items via Autoruns and disabled and/or removed them. Your way sounds much easier.
      ~ Russell ("MelMak")

"[Sing] and [make] melody in your heart to the Lord." -- Ephesians 5:19b

Fight spam!

Comment

Originally posted by The Melody Maker View Post
        Boy, I wish I'd thought of that. I found all instances of "GWX" in my startup items via Autoruns and disabled and/or removed them. Your way sounds much easier.
        You may have to take ownership of that folder, because it may be "owned" by "trustedinstaller".
        The first to state his case seems right until another comes and cross-examines him.

Comment

The upgrade is only going to be free for another 2 months. It is stable enough now, and if you run the privacy script, it works just fine. No sense putting it off.
          That's what
          - She

Without a clear-cut definition of sin, morality becomes a mere argument over the best way to train animals
          - Manya the Holy Szin (The Quintara Marathon)

I may not be as old as dirt, but me and dirt are starting to have an awful lot in common
          - Stephen R. Donaldson

Comment

I heard somebody had theirs update to Windows 10 on it's own, in the middle of something they were doing. They lost a lot of hard work because of it. This is pretty crazy. They shouldn't make people update. I haven't had any major issues with Windows 10, but I can see why some people might not want it.

Comment

Originally posted by Bill the Cat View Post
              The upgrade is only going to be free for another 2 months. It is stable enough now, and if you run the privacy script, it works just fine. No sense putting it off.
              Well, yeah, I just don't like to be forced into something!

As many know, we have a Lutheran congregation that uses our worship center at 9 AM, then we have our service at 10:45. We share a computer that runs the powerpoints, with a different login for each Church.

A couple Sundays ago, after the Lutherans finished their service, our sound guy went to log into the computer, and discovered it was in the middle of upgrading to Win 10. The Lutheran sound guy swore he didn't do anything - that it did it on its own. At first, I was skeptical - but the more I see the way my own computers acting, the more I'm believing windows is, indeed, doing this without user approval.

But, yeah, I have several computers using 10, with no problem. I just prefer the Windows 7 shell, so I download a free one.

Comment

i deleted the update from my computer because i dont want it on my laptop. I tried it on a cloned hard drive and it messed up my graphics card which does 3D graphics using lcd glasses. it didnt work under windows 10 - so back to windows 7 for me.

but yeah i heard that w10 will eventually just install itself unless you disable it. pretty bold of microsoft.

Comment

Be afraid. Be very afraid.

Securely anchored to the Rock amid every storm of trial, testing or tribulation.

Comment

I used to let people who stayed at my house use my computer. No more. Somebody loaded AOL on it and it really messed my machine up. I finally got it uninstalled and forbade future house guests from messing around with my stuff ... well, one I allowed becuase she didn't know beans about such things.

Now MS is gonna mess with my machine? We'll see about that!
                    Watch your links! http://www.theologyweb.com/campus/fa...corumetiquette

Comment

Originally posted by DesertBerean View Post
                      I used to let people who stayed at my house use my computer. No more. Somebody loaded AOL on it and it really messed my machine up. I finally got it uninstalled and forbade future house guests from messing around with my stuff ... well, one I allowed becuase she didn't know beans about such things.

Now MS is gonna mess with my machine? We'll see about that!
                      You can create a guest account that doesn't have the ability to install programs.

Comment

And ABSOLUTELY be sure to have your data and programs backed up! Sparko's idea of a cloned hard drive is, in my opinion, the best, because if the Win 10 install crashes - and there are plenty of horror stories - you can, at least, put the old hard drive back in and be operational.

I use Carbonite, along with their "mirror image" option on an external hard drive.

Comment

Originally posted by Sparko View Post
                          You can create a guest account that doesn't have the ability to install programs.
                          now why didn't I think of that? Thanks.

Comment

Which is better - clone or disk image? These are the only terms I know so if they're outdated, sorry.

Comment

Originally posted by DesertBerean View Post
                              Which is better - clone or disk image? These are the only terms I know so if they're outdated, sorry.
                              Cloning is an older term that described making an exact replica of your hard drive to identical hardware. A disk image is more flexible, and can range from a true cloned copy of your drive to an out of box experience that just retains your data.
                              That's what
                              - She

Without a clear-cut definition of sin, morality becomes a mere argument over the best way to train animals
                              - Manya the Holy Szin (The Quintara Marathon)

I may not be as old as dirt, but me and dirt are starting to have an awful lot in common
                              - Stephen R. Donaldson

Comment