Announcement

Collapse

Computer Lab Guidelines

Here in the computer lab, we talk about cool tech, the newest coolest gadgets, and tackle your toughest tech questions.

If you need to refresh yourself on the decorum, now would be a good time. Forum Rules: here
See more
See less

Windows 10 - What a BULLY!

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by NorrinRadd View Post
    . . . but no matter what the Linvangelists have claimed for the past 15 years or so, it's still just not ready.
    What are it's short comings? I know nothing . . .
    Micah 6:8 He has told you, O man, what is good; and what does the LORD require of you but to do justice, and to love kindness, and to walk humbly with your God?

Comment

I've been periodically keeping an eye on ReactOS. It's still in the alpha stages (and still a bit buggy in places), but it looks very promising as an alternative to Windows.
      ~ Russell ("MelMak")

"[Sing] and [make] melody in your heart to the Lord." -- Ephesians 5:19b

Fight spam!

Comment

Originally posted by The Melody Maker View Post
        I've been periodically keeping an eye on ReactOS. It's still in the alpha stages (and still a bit buggy in places), but it looks very promising as an alternative to Windows.
        Interesting. It sounds like the Freedows OS project (*not* the same as Freedows Linux) that was trying to be a "free" implementation of Windows around 20 years ago, but which ultimately crapped out. I hope ReactOS fares better, but I'm not holding my breath.
        Geislerminian Antinomian Kenotic Charispneumaticostal Gender Mutualist-Egalitarian.

Beige Federalist.

Nationalist Christian.

"Everybody is somebody's heretic."

Social Justice is usually the opposite of actual justice.

Proud member of the this space left blank community.

Would-be Grand Vizier of the Padishah Maxi-Super-Ultra-Hyper-Mega-MAGA King Trumpius Rex.

Justice for Ashli Babbitt!

Justice for Matthew Perna!

Arrest Ray Epps and his Fed bosses!

Comment

Originally posted by Jedidiah View Post
          What are it's short comings? I know nothing . . .
          There are many versions, each with strengths and weaknesses. I sample them every so often. I currently have Zorin installed on my old Dell desktop. It, like Mint, is based on Ubuntu, which in turn derives from Debian, IIRC.

Here are my complaints:

-- Twenty years ago, I found tinkering and tweaking to be "fun." Now I find them tedious and frustrating. Though these days it is MUCH more noob-friendly than in earlier times, it still favors nerds.

-- I have a few Windows programs that I am not willing to abandon. The main one is "The Word," my Bible study program. I like the program, and I have purchased several "premium" modules for it. Yes, it "runs" under Linux, using the WINE system, but I am given to understand that it requires at least a bit of tweaking and tuning, and even then does not *completely* work. There are others I also desire.

-- There are "Linux equivalents" for many Windows programs, but, in my experience, they too often look and feel like "knock-offs."

-- There are direct Linux "versions" of many programs. They have the proper look and feel and feature sets, but their development tends to lag behind the Windows versions.

-- Different Linux families ("Red Hat" vs. "Ubuntu," for example; Red Hat uses RPM, the "Redhat Package Manager, while Ubuntu uses the Symantec Package Manager) access different repositories of programs. It is delightfully easy and automatic to download and install programs from within the family; it is less so if, for example, you are on a Ubuntu-family Linux, and the package you know you want is in a Redhat-family repository.

-- I am accustomed to certain ways of doing things in Windows. In particular, I like the Taskbar, I like it to "hide" and only appear when the pointer touches the bottom of the screen; I like the ability to easily create folders or shortcuts on the desktop. I like to be able to easily "launch" items from the desktop or from within folders on the desktop. That is my normal, day-to-day way of interacting with Windows. From what I've been able to see so far, in Linux, if creating "shortcuts" (or whatever is the Linux term) is possible, it is cumbersome, unintuitive, and appears cobbled together. And I have not been able to figure out anything that resembles the "Desktop toolbar" feature of Windows, hence no easy launching of items on the desktop or in folders on the desktop.
          Geislerminian Antinomian Kenotic Charispneumaticostal Gender Mutualist-Egalitarian.

Beige Federalist.

Nationalist Christian.

Would-be Grand Vizier of the Padishah Maxi-Super-Ultra-Hyper-Mega-MAGA King Trumpius Rex.

Comment

Thanks.
            Micah 6:8 He has told you, O man, what is good; and what does the LORD require of you but to do justice, and to love kindness, and to walk humbly with your God?

Comment

For those who missed the "Free window" for Win 10, you can still get a free copy.

http://www.cnet.com/news/microsoft-w...tive-features/

It's still available for people who use "assistive technologies", but at no time does Microsoft ask you to prove that you use such services.

You can start your upgrade by clicking here.
              The first to state his case seems right until another comes and cross-examines him.

Comment

Coming at the end of August: Less user control over updates in Win 7 and 8.

Beige Federalist.

Nationalist Christian.

Comment

I have been assimilated. Resistance was futile.
                  The first to state his case seems right until another comes and cross-examines him.

Comment

I will never give in!!!! NEEEEVARRRRRR!!!

My old laptop will have Windows 7 on it until it dies.

Only way to keep the video drivers working correctly.

But I do like windows 10. On my Surface Pro 4 it works great.

Comment

• Originally posted by NorrinRadd View Post
                      We are discussing this at work now. They will have to bend on this requirement for large industries that maintain their own baselines.
                      That's what
                      - She

Without a clear-cut definition of sin, morality becomes a mere argument over the best way to train animals
                      - Manya the Holy Szin (The Quintara Marathon)

I may not be as old as dirt, but me and dirt are starting to have an awful lot in common
                      - Stephen R. Donaldson

Comment

• Originally posted by NorrinRadd View Post
                        Hmm... I personally don't see a problem with this on our computers here at home, but I could see it becoming a problem with a couple of friends of mine who have a limited connection and can't afford to have their Windows 7 computers automatically update themselves with no option to disable it. I'll have to give them some advance warning about this. I already don't necessarily like that Windows 10's Windows Update interface has no option to disable checking for updates.
                        ~ Russell ("MelMak")

"[Sing] and [make] melody in your heart to the Lord." -- Ephesians 5:19b

Fight spam!

Comment

• One can download and install Never 10.
                          https://www.grc.com/freepopular.htm
                          Last edited by 37818; 08-18-2016, 04:06 PM.
                          . . . the gospel of Christ: for it is the power of God unto salvation to every one that believeth; . . . -- Romans 1:16 KJV

. . . that Christ died for our sins according to the scriptures; And that he was buried, and that he rose again the third day according to the scriptures: . . . -- 1 Corinthians 15:3-4 KJV

Whosoever believeth that Jesus is the Christ is born of God: . . . -- 1 John 5:1 KJV

Comment

• Originally posted by The Melody Maker View Post
                            Hmm... I personally don't see a problem with this on our computers here at home, but I could see it becoming a problem with a couple of friends of mine who have a limited connection and can't afford to have their Windows 7 computers automatically update themselves with no option to disable it. I'll have to give them some advance warning about this. I already don't necessarily like that Windows 10's Windows Update interface has no option to disable checking for updates.
                            I don't like MS bigfooting users that way. I want to be able to choose how much I do manually and how much I hand over to the OS to do automagically. For the past several months, I have only accepted "Security" updates to Win7. For a while, I was following recommendations of users who took the time to investigate each and every individual update in the monthly list and note the ones that were suspected to be privacy-invaders or camel-nose-under-the-tent for Win10. That became tedious, and like some others, I decided that by this time in its development, most non-security enhancements to Win7 are probably unnecessary and even trivial.

I'm left with a bit of a quandary. I thought I'd have 'til 2020 to figure out how to replace Win7. Now, I'll have to shut off Windows Update by the end of the month and either run it unpatched until 2020, or find a replacement much ahead of schedule. So far, I have not found a Linux version I can tolerate.

Beige Federalist.

Nationalist Christian.

Comment