Announcement

Collapse

Computer Lab Guidelines

Here in the computer lab, we talk about cool tech, the newest coolest gadgets, and tackle your toughest tech questions.

If you need to refresh yourself on the decorum, now would be a good time. Forum Rules: here
See more
See less

Windows 10 - What a BULLY!

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Mine is still in the letting me reschedule for never stage. I already have to play the second Nancy Drew game without sound on Win7. I won't lose game four. Not my Marie Antoinette.

"Fire is catching. If we burn, you burn with us!"
    "I'm not going anywhere. I'm going to stay here and cause all kinds of trouble."
    Katniss Everdeen

Christ our Passover has been sacrificed for us. Therefore let us keep the feast.

Comment

Originally posted by thewriteranon View Post
      Mine is still in the letting me reschedule for never stage. I already have to play the second Nancy Drew game without sound on Win7. I won't lose game four. Not my Marie Antoinette.
      Maybe an emulator would allow you to play your games on Win7 properly? Some of them are very easy to set up.

Comment

Originally posted by Cow Poke View Post
        And ABSOLUTELY be sure to have your data and programs backed up! Sparko's idea of a cloned hard drive is, in my opinion, the best, because if the Win 10 install crashes - and there are plenty of horror stories - you can, at least, put the old hard drive back in and be operational.

I use Carbonite, along with their "mirror image" option on an external hard drive.
        I use Acronis. It does live backups anytime something changes on your computer (like Time machine on macs) and keeps several versions of each file so you can go back and restore something from a day ago, or a week ago.
        You can also create regular backups, incremental or differential, and you can even do entire disk image/clones to the same or different size hard drives. I run the live backup all the time, do weekly incremental backups, and also do complete images from time to time. And I keep the backups on two different external drives, one of which is an NAS RAID 1

Comment

Originally posted by Sparko View Post
          I use Acronis. It does live backups anytime something changes on your computer (like Time machine on macs) and keeps several versions of each file so you can go back and restore something from a day ago, or a week ago.
          You can also create regular backups, incremental or differential, and you can even do entire disk image/clones to the same or different size hard drives. I run the live backup all the time, do weekly incremental backups, and also do complete images from time to time. And I keep the backups on two different external drives, one of which is an NAS RAID 1

yup - Hesitations 2:15 "Blessed is the pessimist, for he hath made backups".
          The first to state his case seems right until another comes and cross-examines him.

Comment

Originally posted by Bill the Cat View Post
            Cloning is an older term that described making an exact replica of your hard drive to identical hardware. A disk image is more flexible, and can range from a true cloned copy of your drive to an out of box experience that just retains your data.
            Yeah, that!
            The first to state his case seems right until another comes and cross-examines him.

Comment

Yeah, mine kept offering the option to reschedule, where I could chose the date, but now it gives a very limited choice of dates in the very near future. And, there used to be a "do not schedule" option - that's gone.

Comment

Whoops. I meant without sound on Win8. Windows 7 was the last one to play all my games correctly. I guess I'm still just wishing I didn't have to upgrade with the new comp.

"I'm not going anywhere. I'm going to stay here and cause all kinds of trouble."
                Katniss Everdeen

Christ our Passover has been sacrificed for us. Therefore let us keep the feast.

Comment

When you talk of back ups, do you mean data only, or are programs included? On my current machine there is a main disk and a backup disk which contains only programs.
                  Watch your links! http://www.theologyweb.com/campus/fa...corumetiquette

Comment

Whoops. I meant without sound on Win8. Windows 7 was the last one to play all my games correctly. I guess I'm still just wishing I didn't have to upgrade with the new comp.
                    Ah, while that's likely too new for an emulator, it might not be too new for a fix. Lot's of games out there have fixes available. Usually in the form of a patch, or some setting adjustment. Sometimes the easiest thing to do is just set the compatibility mode, but you might have already tried that.

Comment

Originally posted by DesertBerean View Post
                      When you talk of back ups, do you mean data only, or are programs included?
                      That's the $64,000 question. If you're like me, you have a lot of programs that are a pain to install. Therefore, a periodic (at least) image of your hard drive is a great idea. Many people only backup their data (if that) but then they can't find the install disks to install the programs.

The kind of backup Sparko is talking about (I think) does an initial "everything", then continues to backup only the changes, so that, at any given point in time, you can restore the whole programs/data situation.

An "image" of your hard drive is, of course, a "snapshot in time". The incremental backup refreshes that so it's ready to be used to do a "restore to previous state" with a much more current result.

On my current machine there is a main disk and a backup disk which contains only programs.

That "backup disk" only contains the programs and OS that shipped with your computer, I bet. It returns your computer to a "factory new" state, WITHOUT all the security updates, service packs, and what not that may have accumulated since your computer was built.

Comment

Originally posted by Cow Poke View Post
                        That's the $64,000 question. If you're like me, you have a lot of programs that are a pain to install. Therefore, a periodic (at least) image of your hard drive is a great idea. Many people only backup their data (if that) but then they can't find the install disks to install the programs.

The kind of backup Sparko is talking about (I think) does an initial "everything", then continues to backup only the changes, so that, at any given point in time, you can restore the whole programs/data situation.

An "image" of your hard drive is, of course, a "snapshot in time". The incremental backup refreshes that so it's ready to be used to do a "restore to previous state" with a much more current result.

That "backup disk" only contains the programs and OS that shipped with your computer, I bet. It returns your computer to a "factory new" state, WITHOUT all the security updates, service packs, and what not that may have accumulated since your computer was built.
                        hmmm, yes, I had forgotten that about the backup disk.

I do like the initial then the incremental backup.
                        Watch your links! http://www.theologyweb.com/campus/fa...corumetiquette

Comment

Originally posted by Cerebrum123 View Post
                          Ah, while that's likely too new for an emulator, it might not be too new for a fix. Lot's of games out there have fixes available. Usually in the form of a patch, or some setting adjustment. Sometimes the easiest thing to do is just set the compatibility mode, but you might have already tried that.
                          Yes, I've done compatibility mode. That's the only way I got it to work at all by turning off the sound. Unfortunately the company that produces these games is not doing great and they're not patching the older games for sure. They remastered the first game but they don't have the means to remaster the other ones, even though the second one could desperately use it.

Katniss Everdeen

Comment

Yes, I've done compatibility mode. That's the only way I got it to work at all by turning off the sound. Unfortunately the company that produces these games is not doing great and they're not patching the older games for sure. They remastered the first game but they don't have the means to remaster the other ones, even though the second one could desperately use it.
                            Yeah, this kind of thing happens a lot. Often enough a fan will make a compatibility patch, or someone somewhere figured out the right settings to get it all working. Sometimes all it will take is changing a few lines in an .ini file. Steam's community pages often have fixes for a wide variety of games, new and old.

Comment

Mine is still in the letting me reschedule for never stage. I already have to play the second Nancy Drew game without sound on Win8. I won't lose game four. Not my Marie Antoinette.
                              I don't know this will help you in Windows 8 (or even 10, if you have to go there), but I remember reading somewhere (and I forget where) that in order to properly play the older Nancy Drew games in Windows 7 (which is what I use), they need to be installed their own folders within the "Users\{User Name}\Documents" folder -- and then possibly some (if not all) may need compatibility mode. That's what I had to do to get mine working, anyway.
                              ~ Russell ("MelMak")

"[Sing] and [make] melody in your heart to the Lord." -- Ephesians 5:19b

Fight spam!

Comment

Originally posted by The Melody Maker View Post
                                I don't know this will help you in Windows 8 (or even 10, if you have to go there), but I remember reading somewhere (and I forget where) that in order to properly play the older Nancy Drew games in Windows 7 (which is what I use), they need to be installed their own folders within the "Users\{User Name}\Documents" folder -- and then possibly some (if not all) may need compatibility mode. That's what I had to do to get mine working, anyway.
                                Yes I installed them all correctly. All the ones through I believe CUR have to be installed that way. It's just STFD's sound is incompatible with drivers from Win8 and upward or somesuch. I forget the exact error message I was getting until I worked on it enough to get the game to play, albeit with no voices.

Katniss Everdeen

Comment