Announcement

Collapse

Computer Lab Guidelines

Here in the computer lab, we talk about cool tech, the newest coolest gadgets, and tackle your toughest tech questions.

If you need to refresh yourself on the decorum, now would be a good time. Forum Rules: here
See more
See less

Windows 10 - What a BULLY!

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by DesertBerean View Post
    hmmm, yes, I had forgotten that about the backup disk.
    Yeah, it doesn't contain ANYTHING (programs, drivers, etc) you've installed since the computer was new, and the drivers for hardware won't be updated. If you've upgraded video card, or added some other hardware, the backup (or, I believe they call it a "restore disk") won't have any of those updates. Also, particularly on the older HP computers, there wasn't sufficient warning to the user that it destroys EVERYTHING on your main drive, because it literally returns your hard drive to a "factory fresh" install.

I've had customers who THOUGHT they were just restoring programs, but the "restore" function wiped out everything on their computer.

everything.jpg
    The first to state his case seems right until another comes and cross-examines him.

Comment

Originally posted by Cow Poke View Post
      That's the $64,000 question. If you're like me, you have a lot of programs that are a pain to install. Therefore, a periodic (at least) image of your hard drive is a great idea. Many people only backup their data (if that) but then they can't find the install disks to install the programs.

The kind of backup Sparko is talking about (I think) does an initial "everything", then continues to backup only the changes, so that, at any given point in time, you can restore the whole programs/data situation.

An "image" of your hard drive is, of course, a "snapshot in time". The incremental backup refreshes that so it's ready to be used to do a "restore to previous state" with a much more current result.

That "backup disk" only contains the programs and OS that shipped with your computer, I bet. It returns your computer to a "factory new" state, WITHOUT all the security updates, service packs, and what not that may have accumulated since your computer was built.
      Yeah I backup everything, the entire computer, OS, programs and data. It would be a major pain to have to reinstall all of my programs from scratch. Some are on disks, some are downloaded, and most have various upgrades and patches that would have to be installed also. Much easier to back up all that as well. The initial backup copies the whole drive, then the weekly backup backs up only the stuff that changes. Every month, it does a new complete backup and then weekly increments again. Plus the live backup will backup anyfiles that change from minute to minute. I could restore the entire computer from that too, but it would be a pain because of the way it is stored. Now I do have some stuff on my NAS that is not backed up, like movies and games. But the NAS itself is RAID 1 so it is pretty safe.

Comment

On my machine I CAN backup my files to a new restore point (what I think it's called) but not sure if that would include serve packs etc. Will have to check.
        Watch your links! http://www.theologyweb.com/campus/fa...corumetiquette

Comment

Originally posted by DesertBerean View Post
          On my machine I CAN backup my files to a new restore point (what I think it's called) but not sure if that would include serve packs etc. Will have to check.
          That's very limited... I think you're just talking about "System Restore", which just backs up and restores Windows files and settings.

This from Microsoft....

System Restore can make changes to Windows system files, registry settings, and programs installed on your computer. It also can make changes to scripts, batch files, and other types of executable files on your computer. Personal files, such as documents, e‑mail, photos, and music files, are not changed.

For example, if you download a personal file, such as a photo from a digital camera, on a Friday and then restore your computer to the state it was in two days earlier on Wednesday, the photo will still be on your computer.

However, if you install a photo viewing program on a Friday and then restore your computer to the state it was in two days earlier on Wednesday, System Restore will uninstall the program, and you won't be able to use that program to view photos.
          The first to state his case seems right until another comes and cross-examines him.

Comment

That's very limited... I think you're just talking about "System Restore", which just backs up and restores Windows files and settings.

This from Microsoft....

System Restore can make changes to Windows system files, registry settings, and programs installed on your computer. It also can make changes to scripts, batch files, and other types of executable files on your computer. Personal files, such as documents, e‑mail, photos, and music files, are not changed.

For example, if you download a personal file, such as a photo from a digital camera, on a Friday and then restore your computer to the state it was in two days earlier on Wednesday, the photo will still be on your computer.

However, if you install a photo viewing program on a Friday and then restore your computer to the state it was in two days earlier on Wednesday, System Restore will uninstall the program, and you won't be able to use that program to view photos.
            Ok....just looked at my Dell Inspiron. There is the OS drive and the Recovery drive and of course the DVD drive. System restore was what I was thinking of, thanks. The Recovery disk is just that, the Restore.

But getting back to the Big Bully, they're really using their option to make us take updates. Nothing new, right?
            Watch your links! http://www.theologyweb.com/campus/fa...corumetiquette

Comment

For the most part, Windows 10 is really good. better than windows 8 for sure, and even better than 7 in many respects. But they shouldn't force you to upgrade. That's just rude.

Comment

Originally posted by Sparko View Post
                For the most part, Windows 10 is really good. better than windows 8 for sure, and even better than 7 in many respects. But they shouldn't force you to upgrade. That's just rude.
                Yeah...as long as you don't want WMC any longer...
                "What has the Church gained if it is popular, but there is no conviction, no repentance, no power?" - A.W. Tozer

"... there are two parties in Washington, the stupid party and the evil party, who occasionally get together and do something both stupid and evil, and this is called bipartisanship." - Everett Dirksen

Comment

Originally posted by Littlejoe View Post
                  Yeah...as long as you don't want WMC any longer...
                  yeah that ticked me off. One reason I am not upgrading my server. I have it hooked up to my TV and use WMC to record TV.

Comment

I have not ventured to update windows 8 to 10...

Comment

I have not gotten any notifications on my windows 7 computer hmm maybe I should ask my friend(the one who told me not to upgrade he works as a troubleshooter at a computer store and saw to many problems with the upgrade) who helps me with my computer problems if he did something to stop me from getting the notifications
                      Last edited by RumTumTugger; 06-05-2016, 09:17 AM.

Comment

Originally posted by RumTumTugger View Post
                        I have not gotten any notifications on my windows 7 computer hmm maybe I should ask my friend who helps me with my computer problems if he did something to stop me from getting the notifications
                        I'm thinking he probably did.

Comment

Originally posted by Cerebrum123 View Post
                          I'm thinking he probably did.
                          I"ll ask him. I"ll also ask him if he knows whether my graphics card would be able to handle windows 10 if he says no then i'll have to pass on the free upgrade.
                          Last edited by RumTumTugger; 06-05-2016, 10:43 AM.

Comment

I"ll ask him. I"ll also ask him if he knows whether my graphics card would be able to handle windows 10 if he says no then i'll have to pass on the free upgrade.
                            More than likely it does, but here is a list to be sure.

http://www.pcworld.com/article/29542...hics-tech.html

Personally I would stick with Windows 7, but that might just be me. If I saw that Windows 7 was quitting support soon, then I might consider it. Otherwise, I think 7 is better.

Comment

Supposedly, as part of the "invite" by Bully Microsoft, a hardware assessment (compatibility check) is performed, and only if you meet minimum system requirements are you "invited" (forced) to upgrade.

Comment

Supposedly, as part of the "invite" by Bully Microsoft, a hardware assessment (compatibility check) is performed, and only if you meet minimum system requirements are you "invited" (forced) to upgrade.
                                MS update feature could be turned off as well...
                                "What has the Church gained if it is popular, but there is no conviction, no repentance, no power?" - A.W. Tozer

"... there are two parties in Washington, the stupid party and the evil party, who occasionally get together and do something both stupid and evil, and this is called bipartisanship." - Everett Dirksen

Comment