Announcement

Collapse

Apologetics 301 Guidelines

If you think this is the area where you tell everyone you are sorry for eating their lunch out of the fridge, it probably isn't the place for you

This forum is open discussion between atheists and all theists to defend and debate their views on religion or non-religion. Please respect that this is a Christian-owned forum and refrain from gratuitous blasphemy. VERY wide leeway is given in range of expression and allowable behavior as compared to other areas of the forum, and moderation is not overly involved unless necessary. Please keep this in mind. Atheists who wish to interact with theists in a way that does not seek to undermine theistic faith may participate in the World Religions Department. Non-debate question and answers and mild and less confrontational discussions can take place in General Theistics.

Forum Rules: Here
See more
See less

Saved Atheist

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Originally posted by shunyadragon View Post
    To Atheist/Agnostic, Jewish and Confucian views of salvation your view is a fictional mythical concept.
    Yes, I'm aware of that. Thus the analogy.

Comment

• Originally posted by OingoBoingo View Post
      Yes, I'm aware of that. Thus the analogy.
      That is why I responded too the analogy te way I did. The question has an obvious answer.
      Glendower: I can call spirits from the vasty deep.
      Hotspur: Why, so can I, or so can any man;
      But will they come when you do call for them? Shakespeare’s Henry IV, Part 1, Act III:

go with the flow the river knows . . .

Frank

I do not know, therefore everything is in pencil.

Comment

• Originally posted by shunyadragon View Post
        That is why I responded too the analogy te way I did. The question has an obvious answer.
        Oh ok, so you just wanted to restate the obvious.

Comment

Wow.
          Why does that surprise you? Have you never actually listened to someone who does not share your view?

NORM
          When the missionaries came to Africa they had the Bible and we had the land. They said 'Let us pray.' We closed our eyes. When we opened them we had the Bible and they had the land. - Bishop Desmond Tutu

Comment

• Originally posted by NormATive View Post
            Why does that surprise you? Have you never actually listened to someone who does not share your view?

NORM
            No, I've never redefined words in my head based on the faith position of another person. I've never had a reason to. I find the fact that you do so weird.

Comment

No, I've never redefined words in my head based on the faith position of another person. I've never had a reason to. I find the fact that you do so weird.
              Have you never had a conversation with a Jehovah's Witness or a Mormon? Seriously? I'll wager your understanding of The Word (John, Chapter 1) is substantially different than either of those two groups. Surely, you would not have a very fruitful discussion if you were not aware of how they understand that terminology.

NORM
              When the missionaries came to Africa they had the Bible and we had the land. They said 'Let us pray.' We closed our eyes. When we opened them we had the Bible and they had the land. - Bishop Desmond Tutu

Comment

• Likewise, when discussing religion with Christians, I keep in mind your particular definition of "salvation."

NORM

Comment

• Yes, I've talked to Mormons, Jehovah Witnesses, and Christians. The words "saved" and "salvation" meant the same while talking to all 3 groups (though they may apply those words to different circumstances they think they are being saved from, or who they believe their salvation is). I don't change the definition of words in my head based on someone else's worldview. Doing so would be confusing and, again, weird. It sounds like something a schizophrenic or a paranoid delusional would do.

Comment

It sounds like something a schizophrenic or a paranoid delusional would do.
                    Or someone who actually gives a s*** about what others are talking about.

NORM

Comment

• If I want to know what someone means, I ask them. I don't arrogantly pretend they're speaking some sort of special language, or invent a special language for them in my head.

Comment

If I want to know what someone means, I ask them. I don't arrogantly pretend they're speaking some sort of special language, or invent a special language for them in my head.
                        I am guessing your are some sort of engineer or technician. Am I correct?

NORM

Comment

• No

Comment