Announcement

Collapse

Health Science 101 Guidelines

Greetings! Welcome to Health Science.

Here's where we talk about the latest fad diets, the advantages of vegetarianism, the joy of exercise and good health. Like everywhere else at Tweb our decorum rules apply.

This is a place to exchange ideas and network with other health conscience folks, this isn't a forum for heated debate.
See more
See less

It's Official - I Have Parosmia

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by Carrikature View Post
    Source: Allomantic Use

A tin Misting is known as a Tineye. Burning tin grants an Allomancer increased sensitivity in all five senses.[1] Furthermore, they are able to see through the mists that cover Scadrial.[2] An Allomancer can flare tin, causing a huge burst of sensory input, to clear his head from pain or exhaustion.[3] Tin will allow an Allomancer to see in the dark.[4]

© Copyright Original Source

I'm pretty sure several people around here have read the Mistborn series by Brandon Sanderson. I thought you were one.
    I've heard about the series, but the hack job Sanderson did on finishing up The Wheel of Time series turned me off to the possibility of reading any of his other works - especially because he admitted up front that he wasn't going to attempt to mimic Robert Jordan's character style but use his own.
    Enter the Church and wash away your sins. For here there is a hospital and not a court of law. Do not be ashamed to enter the Church; be ashamed when you sin, but not when you repent. – St. John Chrysostom

Veritas vos Liberabit<>< Learn Greek <>< Look here for an Orthodox Church in America<><Ancient Faith Radio
    sigpic
    I recommend you do not try too hard and ...research as little as possible. Such weighty things give me a headache. - Shunyadragon, Baha'i apologist

Comment

Originally posted by One Bad Pig View Post
      I've heard about the series, but the hack job Sanderson did on finishing up The Wheel of Time series turned me off to the possibility of reading any of his other works - especially because he admitted up front that he wasn't going to attempt to mimic Robert Jordan's character style but use his own.
      While I can understand where you're coming from, I'd recommend giving him a chance. I'm not sure how possible it is to judge his worth as an author based on his work on WoT. Writing is hard enough without trying to do work within someone else's world.

That said, if he wasn't willing to mimic the character styles, he should have just turned down the offer to complete the series. For that matter, I can't pretend to understand why people feel a series needs to be finished after the author dies. It blows, but no one else can do what that author can do. Every one is unique.
      I'm not here anymore.

Comment

Originally posted by One Bad Pig View Post
        personally I liked the way he ended the series. He used Jordan's notes so the basics and the plot was Jordan's and the writing style was fine to me. In fact, I had to struggle through several of the books because Jordan's writing style was boring as hell. He would spend 5 minutes describing a woman's dress and every other phrase seemed to be "she crossed her arms under her breasts" - it was as bad as trying to read the book of mormon with it's "and it came to pass" repeats on every line.

Comment

Originally posted by Carrikature View Post
          That said, if he wasn't willing to mimic the character styles, he should have just turned down the offer to complete the series. For that matter, I can't pretend to understand why people feel a series needs to be finished after the author dies. It blows, but no one else can do what that author can do. Every one is unique.
          Yeah! Some turn out okay and some are terrible.
          Micah 6:8 He has told you, O man, what is good; and what does the LORD require of you but to do justice, and to love kindness, and to walk humbly with your God?

Comment

So, this is getting fun - in a weird kind of way. (not that anybody cares but this is a convenient way for me to document my digress)

I can smell nothing bad. Things that should smell bad have 'very nice' smells. Many things smell like warm chocolate.

I've been going to a clinic in Houston for the last few months, and the researchers seem quite interested. I'm learning a lot!

MOST of the time, I smell nothing. Smells, however, still seem to be associated with colors, even though I don't see many of the colors.

There is a very pleasant aroma when I smell coffee that smells nothing like the way I remember coffee smelling. The most important thing, however, bacon still smells like bacon.

The only concern seems to be that our nose is placed over our mouths to aid us in not eating things that have spoiled, and "spoiled milk" has - to me - a very pleasant smell. "Rotten meat" (they actually have vials of chemicals labeled with common food items and other items) smells like rain on a hot summer day. Very nice.

The most interesting thing is that when I'm just relaxing, and I think about my Church, I smell very pleasant relaxing fragrances - like no other smell I've ever smelled. I really enjoy that. I can almost 'force' that smell.

Besides the "can't detect spoiled meat or milk" factor - there seems to be no downside. It's weird. In a nice way.
            The first to state his case seems right until another comes and cross-examines him.

Comment

Originally posted by Cow Poke View Post
              So, this is getting fun - in a weird kind of way. (not that anybody cares but this is a convenient way for me to document my digress)

I can smell nothing bad. Things that should smell bad have 'very nice' smells. Many things smell like warm chocolate.

I've been going to a clinic in Houston for the last few months, and the researchers seem quite interested. I'm learning a lot!

MOST of the time, I smell nothing. Smells, however, still seem to be associated with colors, even though I don't see many of the colors.

There is a very pleasant aroma when I smell coffee that smells nothing like the way I remember coffee smelling. The most important thing, however, bacon still smells like bacon.

The only concern seems to be that our nose is placed over our mouths to aid us in not eating things that have spoiled, and "spoiled milk" has - to me - a very pleasant smell. "Rotten meat" (they actually have vials of chemicals labeled with common food items and other items) smells like rain on a hot summer day. Very nice.

The most interesting thing is that when I'm just relaxing, and I think about my Church, I smell very pleasant relaxing fragrances - like no other smell I've ever smelled. I really enjoy that. I can almost 'force' that smell.

Besides the "can't detect spoiled meat or milk" factor - there seems to be no downside. It's weird. In a nice way.
              Do the odd smells change the taste of food? Like coffee?

Comment

It just occurred to me that, when we lived in Longview, Kodak had a plant there. When the wind was blowing just right, you could smell a chemical smell. People I knew often complained about it, but it was, indeed, a significant regional employer back in the 80's. I remember always enjoying that smell. I thought back then it smelled "pleasant".

The smell of "Church" has a lot of those tones, but nicer. Kind of 'chemical', but clean, and no sense whatsoever of negative environmental impact. With shades of powder blue.

I remember when I was on mission trips to Haiti - there was a very distinct smell of charcoal fires, because everybody had their own little cook fires in their front yards (such as they were). I would often smell things in the States that "took me back to Haiti", and that very distinct smell. I haven't smelled "that smell" in a long time. Just realized that. (I'm supposed to be making notes about my memory of smells)
                The first to state his case seems right until another comes and cross-examines him.

Comment

Originally posted by Sparko View Post
                  Do the odd smells change the taste of food? Like coffee?
                  Excellent question! No. That's one of the things that's really perplexing to the researchers. Drinking coffee right now, and it tastes like it has always tasted.

Comment

Excellent question! No. That's one of the things that's really perplexing to the researchers. Drinking coffee right now, and it tastes like it has always tasted.
                    but it doesn't smell like coffee? That is weird because flavor is 90% smell. We can only taste sweet, sour, bitter and salty. The rest is all smell.

So if things taste the same but smell different that is odd.

You should try eating dog poop. You said it smelled like chocolate. See if it tastes like chocolate.

Comment

but it doesn't smell like coffee? That is weird because flavor is 90% smell. We can only taste sweet, sour, bitter and salty. The rest is all smell.

So if things taste the same but smell different that is odd.
                      yeah, it's fun

You should try eating dog poop. You said it smelled like chocolate. See if it tastes like chocolate.
                      I'll pass - chocolate still smells and tastes like chocolate.

Comment

I like that you are documenting here. It's very interesting, and informational!

Securely anchored to the Rock amid every storm of trial, testing or tribulation.

Comment

yeah, it's fun

I'll pass - chocolate still smells and tastes like chocolate.
                          Maybe you have a loose nerve in your nose? You should try banging your head on your desk really hard to see if you can knock it back in place.

Comment

Maybe you have a loose nerve in your nose? You should try banging your head on your desk really hard to see if you can knock it back in place.

Ummmmm... that might be what CAUSED it!

Comment

Originally posted by mossrose View Post
                              I like that you are documenting here. It's very interesting, and informational!
                              And I'm actually getting PAID to participate in this "study".... travel, meals, parking PLUS $200 per visit!

Comment

Actually one of my brothers did have an accident where he hit his forehead and he hasn't been able to smell anything. He still gets grossed out about anything that smells bad but obviously that's the memory at work there.
                                Watch your links! http://www.theologyweb.com/campus/fa...corumetiquette

Comment

widgetinstance 221 (Related Threads) skipped due to lack of content & hide_module_if_empty option.
                                Working...
                                X