Announcement

Collapse

Health Science 101 Guidelines

Greetings! Welcome to Health Science.

Here's where we talk about the latest fad diets, the advantages of vegetarianism, the joy of exercise and good health. Like everywhere else at Tweb our decorum rules apply.

This is a place to exchange ideas and network with other health conscience folks, this isn't a forum for heated debate.
See more
See less

It's Official - I Have Parosmia

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by Cow Poke View Post
    And I'm actually getting PAID to participate in this "study".... travel, meals, parking PLUS $200 per visit!
    Be careful of the meals. Listen for sniggering in the background when you eat.

Comment

Originally posted by Sparko View Post
      Be careful of the meals. Listen for sniggering in the background when you eat.
      Watch your links! http://www.theologyweb.com/campus/fa...corumetiquette

Comment

...wonder if they've captured the "Aroma of Tacoma"? There is actually a song about it. I hated going to downtown Tacoma because of it. The stench came from the paper pulp plants nearby. (I preferred our trips to the dump to THAT!) I think sulfur is a major component of the smell. Can't hurt to ask.

Comment

Originally posted by DesertBerean View Post
          ...wonder if they've captured the "Aroma of Tacoma"? There is actually a song about it. I hated going to downtown Tacoma because of it. The stench came from the paper pulp plants nearby. (I preferred our trips to the dump to THAT!) I think sulfur is a major component of the smell. Can't hurt to ask.
          I lived, for a very brief time, near a paper mill in Ohio.

There was a joke --- A momma skunk was passing the paper mill with her babies, and one of the babies asked "Momma, what is that odor?" Momma responded, "I don't know, but I'd sure love to bottle and sell it!"

The first to state his case seems right until another comes and cross-examines him.

Comment

Originally posted by DesertBerean View Post
            Actually one of my brothers did have an accident where he hit his forehead and he hasn't been able to smell anything. He still gets grossed out about anything that smells bad but obviously that's the memory at work there.
            My pastor's wife (from when I was a kid) had no sense of smell - zero. One time one of her daughters had been cleaning her ring, and had it soaking in a glass of ammonia on the kitchen counter. Patsy (the mom) had just taken a pill, and it was "stuck" in her throat, so she grabbed the "glass of water".... Since she didn't smell it, it was too late when she took a gulp to try to wash down the pill. She ended up in the hospital overnight over that, and the daughter felt absolutely horrible - though it was obviously not her fault.

So, while there are no routine "ill effects" of this in my own situation, there is certainly the potential for bad stuff to happen, and I try to be wary.
            The first to state his case seems right until another comes and cross-examines him.

Comment

My pastor's wife (from when I was a kid) had no sense of smell - zero. One time one of her daughters had been cleaning her ring, and had it soaking in a glass of ammonia on the kitchen counter. Patsy (the mom) had just taken a pill, and it was "stuck" in her throat, so she grabbed the "glass of water".... Since she didn't smell it, it was too late when she took a gulp to try to wash down the pill. She ended up in the hospital overnight over that, and the daughter felt absolutely horrible - though it was obviously not her fault.

So, while there are no routine "ill effects" of this in my own situation, there is certainly the potential for bad stuff to happen, and I try to be wary.
              Had there been litigation, it would have been found to be at least partly her fault, for putting a hazardous substance in an unlabeled container (which can be expected to have safe liquids in it, exacerbating the liability).
              Enter the Church and wash away your sins. For here there is a hospital and not a court of law. Do not be ashamed to enter the Church; be ashamed when you sin, but not when you repent. – St. John Chrysostom

Veritas vos Liberabit<>< Learn Greek <>< Look here for an Orthodox Church in America<><Ancient Faith Radio
              sigpic
              I recommend you do not try too hard and ...research as little as possible. Such weighty things give me a headache. - Shunyadragon, Baha'i apologist

Comment

Originally posted by One Bad Pig View Post
                Had there been litigation, it would have been found to be at least partly her fault, for putting a hazardous substance in an unlabeled container (which can be expected to have safe liquids in it, exacerbating the liability).
                Yeah, but I think she was like 7, and they kinda liked the little squirt. Lesson learned.

Comment

Yeah, but I think she was like 7, and they kinda liked the little squirt. Lesson learned.
                  Ha. I knew it!

Comment

MOST of the time, I smell nothing. Smells, however, still seem to be associated with colors, even though I don't see many of the colors.
                    Synesthesia?
                    Geislerminian Antinomian Kenotic Charispneumaticostal Gender Mutualist-Egalitarian.

Beige Federalist.

Nationalist Christian.

"Everybody is somebody's heretic."

Social Justice is usually the opposite of actual justice.

Proud member of the this space left blank community.

Would-be Grand Vizier of the Padishah Maxi-Super-Ultra-Hyper-Mega-MAGA King Trumpius Rex.

Justice for Ashli Babbitt!

Justice for Matthew Perna!

Arrest Ray Epps and his Fed bosses!

Comment

MOST of the time, I smell nothing. Smells, however, still seem to be associated with colors, even though I don't see many of the colors.
                      Enter the Church and wash away your sins. For here there is a hospital and not a court of law. Do not be ashamed to enter the Church; be ashamed when you sin, but not when you repent. – St. John Chrysostom

Veritas vos Liberabit<>< Learn Greek <>< Look here for an Orthodox Church in America<><Ancient Faith Radio
                      sigpic
                      I recommend you do not try too hard and ...research as little as possible. Such weighty things give me a headache. - Shunyadragon, Baha'i apologist

Comment

Cow Poke, something about your experiences in this thread smells a little fishy to me.

I DENOUNCE DONALD J. TRUMP AND ALL HIS IMMORAL ACTS.

Comment

Originally posted by Zymologist View Post
                          Cow Poke, something about your experiences in this thread smells a little fishy to me.

Well, it gets fishier. (Or, less fishy, smell-wise) The pleasant odors seem to be intensifying, and my lab associate tells me she thinks I'm faking it.
                          Her "proof" is that I'm way too consistent with my results, even though the samples are bar coded, and otherwise not decypherable.

She (in a very good natured way (I think)) wants to know how I'm cheating.

MEANWHILE, the very same pleasant odors I "smell" at home are now associated with the prayer room at Church, only more pleasant.
                          That smell is kind of like a floral laundry softener smell like putting on a clean t-shirt straight from the dryer.

It's beginning to look psychosomatic. Except, of course, the double-blind tests at the lab are "consistent". (too much so)

Oh, and mercaptan (the agent added to natural gas to make it smell like rotten eggs) officially smells like peaches.

Comment

Well, it gets fishier. (Or, less fishy, smell-wise) The pleasant odors seem to be intensifying, and my lab associate tells me she thinks I'm faking it.
                            Her "proof" is that I'm way too consistent with my results, even though the samples are bar coded, and otherwise not decypherable.

MEANWHILE, the very same pleasant odors I "smell" at home are now associated with the prayer room at Church, only more pleasant.
                            That smell is kind of like a floral laundry softener smell like putting on a clean t-shirt straight from the dryer.

It's beginning to look psychosomatic. Except, of course, the double-blind tests at the lab are "consistent". (too much so)

Oh, and mercaptan (the agent added to natural gas to make it smell like rotten eggs) officially smells like peaches.

I think we should canonize you.

Securely anchored to the Rock amid every storm of trial, testing or tribulation.

Comment

Originally posted by One Bad Pig View Post
                              everyone knows the number 9 smells like chocolate chip cookies. duh.

Comment

being serious here. did they do a scan of your brain? sometime tumors can mess with your sense of smell.

Comment

widgetinstance 221 (Related Threads) skipped due to lack of content & hide_module_if_empty option.
                                Working...
                                X