Announcement

Collapse

Health Science 101 Guidelines

Greetings! Welcome to Health Science.

Here's where we talk about the latest fad diets, the advantages of vegetarianism, the joy of exercise and good health. Like everywhere else at Tweb our decorum rules apply.

This is a place to exchange ideas and network with other health conscience folks, this isn't a forum for heated debate.
See more
See less

It's Official - I Have Parosmia

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• It's Official - I Have Parosmia

I had noticed some time back that I seem incapable of smelling bad stuff. I mean, everything smells fresh and clean or pleasant or "chocolate". I think I have a thread somewhere where I noted I seemed to 'smell colors'.

I learned today I "suffer" from Parosmia.

Parosmia, from the Greek < para = osmi, also known as troposmia (Gk.) or cacosmia, (Gk.) is an olfactory dysfunction that is characterized by the inability of the brain to properly identify an odor's “natural” smell.

I say "suffer" - cause there seems to be no real "down side". (The obvious exception would be that I can't distinguish "bad" smells that would warn me that food is spoiled, or the stuff that is added to natural gas (t-butyl mercaptan) to make it detectable).

I'm still learning what all this means, but most of the time I'll just notice a very "pleasant" smell that smells like the town I'm preaching in - though I don't know why that town would have such a smell associated with it.

Oh, I just remembered, there's some perfume that women wear that smells horribly offensive to me. Sometimes, like while shopping, I'll go down the isle after a woman, and just be repulsed by this very "sharp" kind of "fly spray" smell. And those women who wear "oils" for fragrance - those are incredibly nasty to me.

But the vast majority of the time, I'll just notice something very pleasant smelling that seems somehow relaxing and -- not quite "euphoric" -- but gives me a very positive feeling.

It's the strangest thing.
    The first to state his case seems right until another comes and cross-examines him.

I wish I couldn't smell the dog next door every night after he goes out to do his business.

Our fresh air intake pipe brings the stink right into our house.

Securely anchored to the Rock amid every storm of trial, testing or tribulation.

Comment

Originally posted by mossrose View Post
      I wish I couldn't smell the dog next door every night after he goes out to do his business.

Being uncharacteristically serious, the smell tests are done with chemical samples that are supposed to mimic actual "nature" smells, and one of them was doggie poo. It smelled like chocolate. HONEST!

ETA - they literally do the blindfold "smell this" thing, and they record your answers next to whatever the chemical composition is supposed to represent.

This neuro-whatever is a recent grad of doctor school who did his specialization in olfactory disorders. My doctor, to whom I seldom go in an official capacity , asked me to come in and meet him and be his guinea pig, cause I had mentioned sometime back the weirdness I have with 'smells'. This neuro-doctor is somehow related (nephew I think) to my GP.

Who knows, I may be in a published study!
      Last edited by Cow Poke; 04-26-2016, 08:15 PM.
      The first to state his case seems right until another comes and cross-examines him.

Comment

I can't smell. The only vapors I can detect are the ones that physically irritate my mucous membranes.
        If it weren't for the Resurrection of Jesus, we'd all be in DEEP TROUBLE!

Comment

My grandfather had completely lost his sense of smell before he died.
          Enter the Church and wash away your sins. For here there is a hospital and not a court of law. Do not be ashamed to enter the Church; be ashamed when you sin, but not when you repent. – St. John Chrysostom

Veritas vos Liberabit<>< Learn Greek <>< Look here for an Orthodox Church in America<><Ancient Faith Radio
          sigpic
          I recommend you do not try too hard and ...research as little as possible. Such weighty things give me a headache. - Shunyadragon, Baha'i apologist

Comment

Originally posted by One Bad Pig View Post
            My grandfather had completely lost his sense of smell before he died.
            Yeah, my Pastor's wife lost her sense of smell when she was about 20. Couldn't even smell bleach or other 'sharp' odors. She said she didn't mind it too terribly much when she was changing diapers.

Comment

Originally posted by mossrose View Post

Sorry, SYT.
              Micah 6:8 He has told you, O man, what is good; and what does the LORD require of you but to do justice, and to love kindness, and to walk humbly with your God?

Comment

Originally posted by Cow Poke View Post
                I had noticed some time back that I seem incapable of smelling bad stuff. I mean, everything smells fresh and clean or pleasant or "chocolate". I think I have a thread somewhere where I noted I seemed to 'smell colors'.

I learned today I "suffer" from Parosmia.

Parosmia, from the Greek < para = osmi, also known as troposmia (Gk.) or cacosmia, (Gk.) is an olfactory dysfunction that is characterized by the inability of the brain to properly identify an odor's “natural” smell.

I say "suffer" - cause there seems to be no real "down side". (The obvious exception would be that I can't distinguish "bad" smells that would warn me that food is spoiled, or the stuff that is added to natural gas (t-butyl mercaptan) to make it detectable).

I'm still learning what all this means, but most of the time I'll just notice a very "pleasant" smell that smells like the town I'm preaching in - though I don't know why that town would have such a smell associated with it.

Oh, I just remembered, there's some perfume that women wear that smells horribly offensive to me. Sometimes, like while shopping, I'll go down the isle after a woman, and just be repulsed by this very "sharp" kind of "fly spray" smell. And those women who wear "oils" for fragrance - those are incredibly nasty to me.

But the vast majority of the time, I'll just notice something very pleasant smelling that seems somehow relaxing and -- not quite "euphoric" -- but gives me a very positive feeling.

It's the strangest thing.
                Wouldn't a lack of a sense of smell limit your ability to taste things much like when someone has a bad cold and is all stuffed up their ability to taste is impaired?

If so, that means you really haven't been able to fully enjoy the taste of crispy bacon! My poor, poor, older little twin brother

I'm always still in trouble again

"You're by far the worst poster on TWeb" and "TWeb's biggest liar" --starlight (the guy who says Stalin was a right-winger)
                "Overall I would rate the withdrawal from Afghanistan as by far the best thing Biden's done" --Starlight
                "Of course, human life begins at fertilization that’s not the argument." --Tassman

Comment

Originally posted by Jedidiah View Post
                  Sorry, SYT.

Securely anchored to the Rock amid every storm of trial, testing or tribulation.

Comment

Originally posted by rogue06 View Post
                    Wouldn't a lack of a sense of smell limit your ability to taste things much like when someone has a bad cold and is all stuffed up their ability to taste is impaired?
                    I think, yes, but lack of sense of smell (affecting taste) is different than parosmia. That's another fancy medical word (anosmia), along with one that describes an acute sense of smell (hyposmia), and another that describes smelling smells that aren't actually present (phantosmia). Who knew!!!

If so, that means you really haven't been able to fully enjoy the taste of crispy bacon! My poor, poor, older little twin brother
                    Praising God, I have not lost the sense of smell or taste for crispy bacon.

Comment

Being uncharacteristically serious, the smell tests are done with chemical samples that are supposed to mimic actual "nature" smells, and one of them was doggie poo. It smelled like chocolate. HONEST!
                      Wait, how do you know what chocolate smells like? Maybe chocolate smells like doggie poo, and you just like the smell of doggie poo!

Ok, sorry for making light of a serious condition. Hope things turn out well for you.

Comment

Originally posted by Adrift View Post
                        Wait, how do you know what chocolate smells like? Maybe chocolate smells like doggie poo, and you just like the smell of doggie poo!
                        It DOES make one a little more suspicious of his surroundings!

Ok, sorry for making light of a serious condition. Hope things turn out well for you.
                        It's more amusing and .. um... curious to me than it is "serious" -- Doesn't really affect much at all, except for these --- hey, wait! It's not just a confusion about smells - it's also the smelling of pleasant odors when no such odors exist. (unless, of course, my wife ALSO has an olfactory disorder, and those pleasant smells are there, but she can't smell them )

Hmmmmm

Comment

I'm basically super sensitive in all my senses. The nerve damage counteracts this a little, but not much. One time I woke up in our house smelling smoke. It freaked me out, I thought maybe a fire was starting in our house. Turns out it was people having a bonfire about 3 or 4 houses away.

Comment

You have Parosmia? Well that stinks.

I DENOUNCE DONALD J. TRUMP AND ALL HIS IMMORAL ACTS.

Comment

It DOES make one a little more suspicious of his surroundings!

It's more amusing and .. um... curious to me than it is "serious" -- Doesn't really affect much at all, except for these --- hey, wait! It's not just a confusion about smells - it's also the smelling of pleasant odors when no such odors exist. (unless, of course, my wife ALSO has an olfactory disorder, and those pleasant smells are there, but she can't smell them )

Hmmmmm
                              I often smell things that no one else does. So I am either having little strokes all the time or I am just more sensitive. Like brum, I can smell smoke from a long way away. And I find, that as time goes on, I am more sensitive to perfumes and after shave lotions and such. Poor Mr. mossy has a hard time finding cologne that doesn't make me sneeze.

Comment

widgetinstance 221 (Related Threads) skipped due to lack of content & hide_module_if_empty option.
                              Working...
                              X