Announcement

Collapse

Health Science 101 Guidelines

Greetings! Welcome to Health Science.

Here's where we talk about the latest fad diets, the advantages of vegetarianism, the joy of exercise and good health. Like everywhere else at Tweb our decorum rules apply.

This is a place to exchange ideas and network with other health conscience folks, this isn't a forum for heated debate.
See more
See less

It's Official - I Have Parosmia

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by Cow Poke View Post
    I thought that was after they died they smelled flowery. Don't I have to die first?
    To be canonized, yes. If you want to smell flowery, just dump a bottle of your wife's perfume over your head.
    Enter the Church and wash away your sins. For here there is a hospital and not a court of law. Do not be ashamed to enter the Church; be ashamed when you sin, but not when you repent. – St. John Chrysostom

Veritas vos Liberabit<>< Learn Greek <>< Look here for an Orthodox Church in America<><Ancient Faith Radio
    sigpic
    I recommend you do not try too hard and ...research as little as possible. Such weighty things give me a headache. - Shunyadragon, Baha'i apologist

Comment

Originally posted by DesertBerean View Post
      Um, CP.... I don't see anything about how long you've had this problem with your sense of smell?
      I never thought of it as a "problem" - but it seems to have begun about 6 months to a year prior to the OP, which was April 2016. So, maybe 2 years. At first, it was just "pleasant smells" which, at some point, my wife began associating with colors. I wish I had documented it from the beginning, because most of the time it was like "ok, that's weird" but "oh well...".

I still see it more as an oddity than a problem.
      The first to state his case seems right until another comes and cross-examines him.

Comment

Originally posted by DesertBerean View Post
        Um, CP.... I don't see anything about how long you've had this problem with your sense of smell?
        This actually made me think. (often, that's quite dangerous)

I have a horrible sense of "time". Sometimes, for example, I'll think of a church member as "new", when they've been a member for 3 or 4 years - time just goes roaring by.
        I do better when I can associate those "relative" events with actual calendar events - something to which to anchor that "point in time". Like, "yeah, that was just before our trip to Ohio when Mom passed". Or, "that was before I bought my Mountaineer, because I was driving" --- ok, that's a bad example, because I had a 2003 Mountaineer before I bought my 2006 Mountaineer. But you get the drift.

Anyway, as I was driving to work this morning, I was wondering when the first time was that I noticed any of this.

It occurred to me that there were actually two things occurring. It was obviously before I moved to the city I'm in now, because I remember on the 50 mile drive "back home" thinking that "the city" has "a pleasant smell".
        Sometimes at night, I'd lay on the couch, and think "my shirt smells like that". (the city) At some points, I actually thought maybe my wife had changed laundry detergent or softener.

I remember thinking that when I lived in Longview, Texas - probably 30 years ago - that Longview had a "Kodak" smell, because Kodak (Eastman Chemical) had a processing plant there. I remember (some of this is repeat) that others would complain about the "chemical" smell of Kodak, but I always thought it was a "pleasant" smell - a clean, almost clinical smell. (And, not in the sense that cattlemen "like" the smell of cattle poop and pee because "it smells like money".)

So, there were these occasions where I noticed the pleasant smell, and associating it with the city where, at that time, I was serving as interim pastor. And my wife seemed to notice that I would mention these smells when I was wearing a particular color shirt. She kind of made a game of associating my "smells" with "colors", though that aspect hasn't actually been tested. Maybe it should. Just for grins.

All that to say it seems like I can associate the beginning of this current round of 'odor dysphoria' (I made that up ) as beginning when I started as interim pastor at my current church - so..... August/September 2012.

Note: Even though this isn't an interesting thread or topic to the majority of Twebbers, it kinda helps me to think through this. I'm kinda wondering now why the clinicians didn't press me about "when did this all begin".
        The first to state his case seems right until another comes and cross-examines him.

Comment

....All that to say it seems like I can associate the beginning of this current round of 'odor dysphoria' (I made that up ) as beginning when I started as interim pastor at my current church - so..... August/September 2012....
          OK, so I did a search on "skunk" and "coffee" by "Cow Poke", and came up with this....

...And I've only noticed this the past 2 1/2 years or so, since I've been at my new Church. I thought I'd see if anybody else has heard about anything like this, and start this thread as a place to keep note on it.
          So, in June of 2015, I was thinking it was "the past 2 1/2 years or so", so, yeah.....

And, for the record, "skunk" most definitely smells like fresh brewed coffee.

Comment

I'm kinda wondering now why the clinicians didn't press me about "when did this all begin".
            Because it doesn't matter. It is all part of the Mandella Effect. The antichrist is changing smells on you and confusing your memory of the past. Obviously he is trying to trick you into rubbing a dead skunk under your arms as deoderant and then grossing out your congregation, sending them retching and running.

Comment

CP, this thread is about you.
              Micah 6:8 He has told you, O man, what is good; and what does the LORD require of you but to do justice, and to love kindness, and to walk humbly with your God?

Comment

Originally posted by Jedidiah View Post
                CP, this thread is about you.
                It's about time!

Comment

I had noticed some time back that I seem incapable of smelling bad stuff. I mean, everything smells fresh and clean or pleasant or "chocolate". I think I have a thread somewhere where I noted I seemed to 'smell colors'.
                  So what exactly does yellow smell like? And if you say sadness can you explain what sadness smells like (and don't say it smells like yellow)?

I'm always still in trouble again

"You're by far the worst poster on TWeb" and "TWeb's biggest liar" --starlight (the guy who says Stalin was a right-winger)
                  "Overall I would rate the withdrawal from Afghanistan as by far the best thing Biden's done" --Starlight
                  "Of course, human life begins at fertilization that’s not the argument." --Tassman

Comment

Originally posted by rogue06 View Post
                    So what exactly does yellow smell like? And if you say sadness can you explain what sadness smells like (and don't say it smells like yellow)?
                    I am guessing the answer is "tofu"

Comment

• Originally posted by Cow Poke View Post
                      It's about time!
                      Time for what?
                      Micah 6:8 He has told you, O man, what is good; and what does the LORD require of you but to do justice, and to love kindness, and to walk humbly with your God?

Comment

• So, quick update.

I've been noticing wonderful fragrances again at odd times, and my doc literally asked me to keep a journal of when and where, and my suspicions about why.

I'd noticed a "new" aroma - something that smelled very pleasant and almost clinical. I noticed it most if I was laying on the couch watching TV, and my forearm was anywhere near my face. I was trying to think of anything "new" that could explain this.

Long story short, lately I've been visiting Church members in the hospitals a lot more, and I always use those hand sanitizes both before going into the room and coming out. My daughter, a hospice nurse, mentioned something about the new "fragrance free" sanitizers at the hospital, and that, to her, they weren't fragrance free at all.

Sure enough, that accounts for that particular "new smell".

Comment

• Sorry to hear that Cow Poke.

Comment

• OK, I had pretty much forgotten about all this, but... They're BAAAAAaaaaaaack!!!!

The most wonderful fragrances - clean and ... can't even think how to describe them... but relaxing and almost heavenly, whatever that might mean.

It's like I'm smelling a very wonderful dream.

Comment

widgetinstance 221 (Related Threads) skipped due to lack of content & hide_module_if_empty option.
                            Working...
                            X